• ***IMPORTANT*** SOME PASSWORDS NOT WORKING

There has been some issues with user passwords. Some users may need to reset their passwords to login to the forum. Please use the password reset option when logging in. If you do experience issues and find our account is locked then please email admin@jackarmy.net Thanks

Joe Allen back to Swansea? Martin hopes so but would it be right?

• Thread starter A4Jack
  • Start date
  • Replies: Replies 46
  • Views: Views 7,282
Joey was ready to sign the season we went down, was in Wind Street having a meal with his family telling everyone who wanted to listen it was a done deal... then the hedge fund pulled the plug, the rest is history

bakajack said:
RM has said that if we get what we value Piroe at that he should be the only sale this summer unless someone else comes in for another player with an offer too good to turn down.

If that happens and we can reinvest wisely in another defender, fix our wing backs issue, get in Allen and another forward to provide competition for Obafemi then it would be a tremendously successful window in my eyes.

Which tells us a few things:

a) we need to sell
b) we need quite a bit of money
c) if Plan A doesn't happen, then we could see a fair few outgoings

Holding talks with Stoke today according to Wales Online. Much depends on what they're going to stump up. Unlikely they're going to offer him what he's currently on - didn't they give him a pay rise after relegation to stave off potential offers from EPL clubs?

Since he hasn't signed up as yet, it would suggest they're not offering him the same deal he's on because surely he wouldn't expect them to up what they were offering when they expected a quick return to the Prem and he was still in his prime.

I suppose it'll all boil down to how much of a pay cut he's prepared to take to come down here, because what Bet365 is prepared to pay is surely higher than would be desirable for us to shell out on him.

Considering he only has two or three years left in his career, how much of a hit is he really prepared to take when he can stick it out in Cheshire for another three seasons and put his West Wales chicken farm plans or whatever he has in mind on hold a little while longer!?

For me, Joey could have done far more in his career. He's stagnated as a player by signing the deal to remain at Stoke and should have considered a pay cut to go to one of the lower Premier League teams. It's a good job he's had two Euros with Wales, because he entered the twilight of his career at 26 as far as his club career is concerned.

Jacket said:
Holding talks with Stoke today according to Wales Online. Much depends on what they're going to stump up. Unlikely they're going to offer him what he's currently on - didn't they give him a pay rise after relegation to stave off potential offers from EPL clubs?

Since he hasn't signed up as yet, it would suggest they're not offering him the same deal he's on because surely he wouldn't expect them to up what they were offering when they expected a quick return to the Prem and he was still in his prime.

I suppose it'll all boil down to how much of a pay cut he's prepared to take to come down here, because what Bet365 is prepared to pay is surely higher than would be desirable for us to shell out on him.

Considering he only has two or three years left in his career, how much of a hit is he really prepared to take when he can stick it out in Cheshire for another three seasons and put his West Wales chicken farm plans or whatever he has in mind on hold a little while longer!?

For me, Joey could have done far more in his career. He's stagnated as a player by signing the deal to remain at Stoke and should have considered a pay cut to go to one of the lower Premier League teams. It's a good job he's had two Euros with Wales, because he entered the twilight of his career at 26 as far as his club career is concerned.

Well if he's holding talks with Stoke today (and why shouldn't he) then we should end our interest in him, it would be a gamble on our part anyway, but to enter a wage shootout with Stoke for a player who struggles to go past 60 minutes would be a big mistake with what is increasingly looking like a limited budget for next season.

Isn’t he currently on 50K a week at Stoke? Even they could offer him 30K all depends on him accepting probably half of what Stoke offer him to come here.

I’m all for Allen coming back, but he wouldn’t be worth being silly on wages for, even if Bennett leaves, if he comes back for say 15K maybe then it’s a good deal for a season or 2, would Grimes be dropped of captain if he came back?

Swansea93 said:
Isn’t he currently on 50K a week at Stoke? Even they could offer him 30K all depends on him accepting probably half of what Stoke offer him to come here.

I’m all for Allen coming back, but he wouldn’t be worth being silly on wages for, even if Bennett leaves, if he comes back for say 15K maybe then it’s a good deal for a season or 2, would Grimes be dropped of captain if he came back?

Agree, I can easily see Stoke stumping up £30k a week. The only thing that makes me doubt this is, would he have re-signed for them earlier if this was the case?

His agent could be using Swansea interest to squeeze every penny out of Stoke in what will probably be the last contract of his career. Either way it's hard to see a return to Swansea stacking up financially without him taking a financial hit. He may take it, he has made around £26,000,000 out of football in the past decade after all.

Jacket said:
Swansea93 said:

Agree, I can easily see Stoke stumping up £30k a week. The only thing that makes me doubt this is, would he have re-signed for them earlier if this was the case?

His agent could be using Swansea interest to squeeze every penny out of Stoke in what will probably be the last contract of his career. Either way it's hard to see a return to Swansea stacking up financially without him taking a financial hit. He may take it, he has made around £26,000,000 out of football in the past decade after all.

If he’s having talks with Stoke today then you’re probably right about using us to squeeze Stoke. He wasn’t on their list of players leaving once contract had expired either so must be some hope their they can tie him down.

Risc said:
Jacket said:

If he’s having talks with Stoke today then you’re probably right about using us to squeeze Stoke. He wasn’t on their list of players leaving once contract had expired either so must be some hope their they can tie him down.

Can't be that desperate to come back to us then. Phuk him.

Nocountryforoldjack said:
Risc said:

It may be that, as he was stung by us messing about once before he wants to see what Stoke offers first before seeing if we’re serious. If he refuses to speak to Stoke and we change our mind, he will be left with neither

Sirjohnalot said:

It may be that, as he was stung by us messing about once before he wants to see what Stoke offers first before seeing if we’re serious. If he refuses to speak to Stoke and we change our mind, he will be left with neither

Yeah good point.

A4Jack said:
Russell Martin has spoken positively about the possibility of signing Stoke midfielder Joe Allen on a free transfer this summer. The return of Allen has been speculated for a few weeks with the Welshman wanting to return closer to home as he comes towards the end of his career. There’s no doubt about...

Read more

Too many people focussing on the past. We need midfielders who can create & put the ball in the net. Players with a bit of pace. Not someone who makes 10 yd passes sideways & backwards. We have too many players who can already do that

Sirjohnalot said:

This is a very valid point and I don't blame him for seeing what Stoke put on the table before seeing what we have to offer him considering how we dicked about last time when he was for sale from Liverpool.

Coventry City v Swansea City

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Back