• ***IMPORTANT*** SOME PASSWORDS NOT WORKING

There has been some issues with user passwords. Some users may need to reset their passwords to login to the forum. Please use the password reset option when logging in. If you do experience issues and find our account is locked then please email admin@jackarmy.net Thanks

Laptops for kids.

Itchysphincter

Ivor Allchurch
Reaction score
Has anyone taken the plunge and bought laptops for Kids' use?

Being as more and more school homework is completed and handed in through various online portals can anyone make a recommendation? Preferably ready to go out of the box from Amazon or similar.

Thankyou please in advance.

Itchysphincter said:
Has anyone taken the plunge and bought laptops for Kids' use?

Being as more and more school homework is completed and handed in through various online portals can anyone make a recommendation? Preferably ready to go out of the box from Amazon or similar.

Thankyou please in advance.

Once my kids hit last year of primary school I encouraged them to start using laptops for production of homework documents. They both have base level laptops (one has a HP, the other an Acer) that cost me no more than £220 each. They only use them for internet browsing and generation of Office document and they serve the purpose very well. I can access Microsoft Office for them via a corporate scheme but if that's not an option for you then the monthly subscription of £5.99 is well worth it; failing that buy the software outright.

After a very quick Google search I found this. More than enough for the average teenager who only needs to churn out Word and PowerPoint.

https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/computing/laptops/laptops/asus-e410ma-14-laptop-intel-celeron-128-gb-emmc-blue-10209188-pdt.html

Cooperman said:
Once my kids hit last year of primary school I encouraged them to start using laptops for production of homework documents. They both have base level laptops (one has a HP, the other an Acer) that cost me no more than £220 each. They only use them for internet browsing and generation of Office document and they serve the purpose very well. I can access Microsoft Office for them via a corporate scheme but if that's not an option for you then the monthly subscription of £5.99 is well worth it; failing that buy the software outright.

After a very quick Google search I found this. More than enough for the average teenager who only needs to churn out Word and PowerPoint.

https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/computing/laptops/laptops/asus-e410ma-14-laptop-intel-celeron-128-gb-emmc-blue-10209188-pdt.html

Thanks Coops, that's the sort of thing I need. I think they get office 365 online through the school portal but if not I'll purchase or subscribe.

Whatever spec you buy, make sure it's got a solid state drive (SSD) as opposed to a hard disc drive (HDD).

Most people (especially teenagers) treat a laptop as if its a phone and toss it around which will f*ck up the HDD.

Think of it an old record player (HDD) versus digital downloadable music (SSD)

SSD if far quicker to startup/load too

For a cheaper more kid friendly option I would consider a tablet, and get a bluetooth keyboard with it. If a drink gets spilled onto a laptop it's landfill. You can get bluetooth keyboards for under £30. Easier to carry around, touchscreen.

Have a look at chromebooks - They have excellent battery life (usually 10+ hours), have access to the google play store and do most things you can do on a laptop but at a lower price. You can use the MS office suite on there, watch netflix etc. Just avoid the Celeron 3350 processor, from what I've been told it's too underpowered.

Here are a couple of recommendations from WHICH Magazine, and I'd be happy to scan the full reviews to you if you're interested in either of them. As Black Friday will soon arrive (which I presume will be only online) you might get some reduced in price in sales.

Acer Aspire 5 A514-52 68% £380.00
Reviewed Mar 2020
For the money, there’s not much better than the Acer Aspire 5 A514 that can deliver this level of speed along with a decent screen and solid keyboard and touchpad. Its closest rival is its sibling, the Acer Swift 1 SF114, but that laptop is less powerful, so those with a need for speed should certainly consider this Aspire 5.

Acer Swift 1 SF114-32 70% £400.00
Reviewed Dec 2018
This is one of the best laptops we tested in 2018, and it's still up there with the very best cheap laptops. There are no significant problems with this laptop, and there’s loads to like including its sharp screen, good battery life and lovely keyboard.

In Canada the kids are recommended to have Chromebooks and Google Classroom is commonly used.

You can then set up parent controls on content, downloads and time allowed each day etc.

Glyn1 said:
Here are a couple of recommendations from WHICH Magazine, and I'd be happy to scan the full reviews to you if you're interested in either of them. As Black Friday will soon arrive (which I presume will be only online) you might get some reduced in price in sales.

Acer Aspire 5 A514-52 68% £380.00
Reviewed Mar 2020
For the money, there’s not much better than the Acer Aspire 5 A514 that can deliver this level of speed along with a decent screen and solid keyboard and touchpad. Its closest rival is its sibling, the Acer Swift 1 SF114, but that laptop is less powerful, so those with a need for speed should certainly consider this Aspire 5.

Acer Swift 1 SF114-32 70% £400.00
Reviewed Dec 2018
This is one of the best laptops we tested in 2018, and it's still up there with the very best cheap laptops. There are no significant problems with this laptop, and there’s loads to like including its sharp screen, good battery life and lovely keyboard.

I just had a look at the first one there Glyn, and it's quite a good PC, and curren't £450 in Curry's. and I wouldn't go near the second one, a 128gb hard drive on a window's PC is going to fill up fast.

ABSwan said:
In Canada the kids are recommended to have Chromebooks and Google Classroom is commonly used.

You can then set up parent controls on content, downloads and time allowed each day etc.

A Chromebook will do the vast majority of basic needs and many schools and all universities will have an Office licence.

Typically my two get my hand-me-down MacBooks, though have been using my current one for a few years as the new models are a bit rubbish. There are certain things better suited to a Mac in my job, though newer Windows machines are much better these days.

With a hwb email account, arranged through schools, kids get ten licences for microsoft 365 so don't go paying for this when you don't have to.

Coventry City v Swansea City

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Back