• ***IMPORTANT*** SOME PASSWORDS NOT WORKING

There has been some issues with user passwords. Some users may need to reset their passwords to login to the forum. Please use the password reset option when logging in. If you do experience issues and find our account is locked then please email admin@jackarmy.net Thanks

Lucky 7 for Cooper's Swans?

PSumbler

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Take a trip down memory lane and remember the Swans in the play-offs

The Swans entry into the Championship play-offs this season will be the 7th time the Swans have entered the end of season lottery that can be the play offs and they head into it in search of a 5th play off final and a 3rd promotion via this route.

Read more here....

T0FLMTIzNDkwNjM2.jpg

Brilliant article Phil 👍

I remember Peter Guthrie being a hero for us all those years ago.

Recall the Northampton final. From being the best day prior to kick off to being the lowest I've ever felt after a game. Tho the Barnsley final runs it close.

I was at the Scunthorpe 2nd leg and what a strange night that was. I was living in the area and went with a mate who is a Scunny fan, he stood in the away end with me singing swans songs

It was a real old school blood and thunder match that had everything. Mass brawls, extra time, Brian laws with a megaphone on the the roof of the stand, The scunny assistant manager running down the touchline with an English flag, police helicopters

We weren't a great team, so probably would have come straight back down

It seems a different world to where we are now, disappointed at the time but great days in their own way.

a correction to the OP.

We didn't hold on for a draw in the first leg against Forest. We absolutely dominated the game with 10 men.

Northampton & Barnsley both really, really hurt at the time.

But I think we were better equipped to go gather ourselves & go again, certainly after the Barnsley final.

I'm seeing this year's playoffs as a bonus - weren't expected to be there so enjoy it. maybe Brentford will wobble at just the right time?

Sherpa said:
a correction to the OP.

We didn't hold on for a draw in the first leg against Forest. We absolutely dominated the game with 10 men.

I would still beg to differ. We didn't hold on as in lucky to get the draw but - whilst a memory of 9 years can fade - I don't recall us dominating the game, the match stats I have just searched suggest the same? It was a comfortable draw in that most of their shots were long range but I seem to remember a couple of decent saves from De Vries.

On the same balance we had a couple of chances as well

Sherpa said:
I was at the Scunthorpe 2nd leg and what a strange night that was. I was living in the area and went with a mate who is a Scunny fan, he stood in the away end with me singing swans songs

It was a real old school blood and thunder match that had everything. Mass brawls, extra time, Brian laws with a megaphone on the the roof of the stand, The scunny assistant manager running down the touchline with an English flag, police helicopters

We weren't a great team, so probably would have come straight back down

It seems a different world to where we are now, disappointed at the time but great days in their own way.

It was an odd night at Scunthorpe. They were pretty dirty, seem to remember Jason Smith covered in stud marks and having his shirts or shorts in tatters. Some neanderthal in the home end was throwing nuts and bolts at us.

Great read that!

I was 7 when we played Northampton and like many of you I can still remember the day so vividly .Walking up Wembley way jaw dropped at the sight of the twin towers beyond excited and then what seemed like the end of the world thanks to that bloody free kick. My first experience of heartbreak in football, for me it's still worse than the Barnsley defeat.

We have nothing to lose,let's just go for it and see what happens.I pray we are not destined to meet Cardiff in the final as I don't think I could bare watching/losing that especially as I work with a load of them.

Fingers crossed for lucky number 7

Swanluke said:
Great read that!

I was 7 when we played Northampton and like many of you I can still remember the day so vividly .Walking up Wembley way jaw dropped at the sight of the twin towers beyond excited and then what seemed like the end of the world thanks to that bloody free kick. My first experience of heartbreak in football, for me it's still worse than the Barnsley defeat.

We have nothing to lose,let's just go for it and see what happens.I pray we are not destined to meet Cardiff in the final as I don't think I could bare watching/losing that especially as I work with a load of them.

Fingers crossed for lucky number 7

Pretty sure Fulham went up as Champions the year we met Northampton in the final, might be wrong there - something tells me that Wigan or Preston might have been in the mix. That Wembley defeat was an odd end to an odd season. We'd started the season really badly under Molby and it took us a couple of months before we started stringing a few draws and wins together and although we came reasonably good in the end we were always miles away from the top two or three in the league. It was a decent day out in sunny North London though.

The loss against Barnsley was one of the most important things to happen to our football club. It is extremely unlikely we would have had Roberto Martinez in place shortly after had we been promoted under Kenny Jacket that season.

That season had a lot of similarities to this season. We had a squad that completey outclassed the majority of the league due to our greater financial resources, whilst reaching the playoffs through a largely uninspiring season.

Should we lose to Cardiff or Fulham in the final, let's hope there is another Roberto Martinez waiting for us in 12-18 months time.

Coventry City v Swansea City

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Back