• ***IMPORTANT*** SOME PASSWORDS NOT WORKING

There has been some issues with user passwords. Some users may need to reset their passwords to login to the forum. Please use the password reset option when logging in. If you do experience issues and find our account is locked then please email admin@jackarmy.net Thanks

Most successful ex-player

Shecter.
Oh sorry you meant the most successful?
Lampard.

jacabertawe said:
Risc said:
<< Regarded as one of the top and most prolific Italian strikers of all time, Chinaglia was a large, strong, fast, and powerful player, with a keen eye for goal. >>

Bloody hell, not heard much about this guy. Would love to have seen him play for us.
He barely did: a lazy layabout and a thug. I'm pretty sure that he was given his marching orders by us, due to his attitude.

Some odd reasons at times to get rid of players who later became very good, I remember reading that Dean Saunders was sold because the manager at the time was sick of his mother berating him for not playing her son.

Muteswan said:
dickythorpe said:

Good call, again any of the ex Liverpool players Emlyn, Tommy Smith, Ian Callaghan were also very successful.

Ian Callaghan,what a player he was in the 1966 WC squad and had a medal later. Dont know if its my memory but never seemed to miss a game and was concistently very good.

ABSwan said:
jacabertawe said:
He barely did: a lazy layabout and a thug. I'm pretty sure that he was given his marching orders by us, due to his attitude.

Some odd reasons at times to get rid of players who later became very good, I remember reading that Dean Saunders was sold because the manager at the time was sick of his mother berating him for not playing her son.

John Bond let him go on a free making a statement that he didnt rate him....Saunders was later sold for a million mind you it was a deal between Oxford and Derby who the late dodgy Robert Maxwell had interests in both clubs at the time.

Risc said:
Dr. Winston said:
Lampard or Chinaglia maybe.

<< Regarded as one of the top and most prolific Italian strikers of all time, Chinaglia was a large, strong, fast, and powerful player, with a keen eye for goal. >>

Bloody hell, not heard much about this guy. Would love to have seen him play for us.
He was quite ordinary when he played for us, funnily enough.

Lot of options 20th century, but 21st century Fabianski who is still playing.

Llorente won a World Cup and a Euros so he’s surely in contention?

Vetchonian said:
ABSwan said:

John Bond let him go on a free making a statement that he didnt rate him....Saunders was later sold for a million mind you it was a deal between Oxford and Derby who the late dodgy Robert Maxwell had interests in both clubs at the time.
Was on a table at the Boxing in the Rank with John Bond where he told us all that he was to small to make the grade.

AceJack said:

Did quite well at Juventus too (3 consecutive Serie 'A' titles, 3 Italian Cups) & won the Europa League at Sevilla.

Not that they count for anything but 3 R-ups in Europe too (2 CL & 1 EL).

AceJack said:

Eder scored the winner for Portugal in Euro 2016.
I don't remember him pulling up trees for us

AceJack said:

Could have so many differing views on here but maybe stricter criteria

Can we include loan signings? (I personally wouldnt)
Should the success be before us or after us? (I would personally go for other)
Is success purely rated on trophies won or - for example - longevity of career (and for me the latter although clearly both is very advantageous! :lol: )

I wouldn't include Lampard given he was only here for a short period of time but for me I would pick Toshack. Hugely successful before he came here, took a gamble to drop from a side dominating home and abroad to join a 4th division club. We know what he did here but its also well forgotten that he managed Real Madrid twice after leaving here as well as managing his country. Quite some achievement and a name rarely associated with "great British managers" by the media.

And what about those that built hugely successful businesses post football (eg Mel Nurse) in a generation where football was the first stage of a working life and not the pampered lifestyle it has become

Coventry City v Swansea City

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Back