• ***IMPORTANT*** SOME PASSWORDS NOT WORKING

There has been some issues with user passwords. Some users may need to reset their passwords to login to the forum. Please use the password reset option when logging in. If you do experience issues and find our account is locked then please email admin@jackarmy.net Thanks

Most successful ex-player

PSumbler said:
AceJack said:
Llorente won a World Cup and a Euros so he’s surely in contention?

Could have so many differing views on here but maybe stricter criteria

Can we include loan signings? (I personally wouldnt)
Should the success be before us or after us? (I would personally go for other)
Is success purely rated on trophies won or - for example - longevity of career (and for me the latter although clearly both is very advantageous! :lol: )

I wouldn't include Lampard given he was only here for a short period of time but for me I would pick Toshack. Hugely successful before he came here, took a gamble to drop from a side dominating home and abroad to join a 4th division club. We know what he did here but its also well forgotten that he managed Real Madrid twice after leaving here as well as managing his country. Quite some achievement and a name rarely associated with "great British managers" by the media.

And what about those that built hugely successful businesses post football (eg Mel Nurse) in a generation where football was the first stage of a working life and not the pampered lifestyle it has become

Fair to discount loan players as they weren’t actually our players.

If you’re gonna go for most successful after they left us, it’s probably Tosh. Robertos career isn’t over yet. He’s won an FA Cup and could keep adding to that if he’s lucky in the job market.

If you’re going to go for a player who has worn the shirt with the most success in football, I think it’s hard to argue against a World Cup winner in Llorente.

dickythorpe said:
Did llorente play in the final though?

No but he played at a World Cup for a team that went on to win it. How many Swans players have got near a World Cup final?

KrunchyKarrot said:
AceJack said:
No but he played at a World Cup for a team that went on to win it. How many Swans players have got near a World Cup final?

A few?

Which other ones? Not being snarky, genuinely would love to know.

LLorente is had to argue as a Worl Cup winning sqaud player, but overall Toshack was the better player.

Add to that the revolution JT created in Swansea, it's a full on vote for the man El Capital.

Len Allchurch, good player in the shadow of his brother but a great sheepskin coat salesman.

AceJack said:
dickythorpe said:

Aiden NEwhouse used to live next to a guy who knew a postman who delivered mail to a ticket tout who had a ticket for sale for the final of Italia 90.

DOes that count?

AceJack said:
dickythorpe said:

Surely scoring the winning goal in the final of the Euros for a small country who have their biggest star off the pitch at the time trumps being a bit part player in a team full of stars that went on to win the World Cup. Based on international trophies, and actually helping to win them, Eder wins hands down.

PSumbler said:
AceJack said:

Aiden NEwhouse used to live next to a guy who knew a postman who delivered mail to a ticket tout who had a ticket for sale for the final of Italia 90.

DOes that count?

Leon Hylton was to greenhouses what Hitler was to house painting

AceJack said:
dickythorpe said:

Fernandez was a Napoli player at the time but fairly sure he was part of the squad for Argentina in the 2014 final, few weeks later he signed for us. I guess that's the same as Llorente in not actually playing though.

Coventry City v Swansea City

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Back