• ***IMPORTANT*** SOME PASSWORDS NOT WORKING

There has been some issues with user passwords. Some users may need to reset their passwords to login to the forum. Please use the password reset option when logging in. If you do experience issues and find our account is locked then please email admin@jackarmy.net Thanks

Parsnip...

Jersey royals are fantastic, but I must admit that this summer any Cornish new potatoes have rivalled them.

Swanjaxs said:
Absolutely the best part of a Sunday dinner!
A lot find them hard to stomach, and cause a lot of bile to come to the surface according to some Doctors.
What's your favourite Sunday vegetable?

Peas , carrots and then swede. Also grown a liking for sprouts over the years, detested them as a youngster.

Lifelong said:
Roasted parsnips are delightful, but my favourite is cauliflower cheese.

Oh yes on both. I've gone from only really eating carrots and peas as a teenager to loving just about every vegetable these days.

On of my favourite parts of cooking a roast on special occasions is cooking a batch of Nigella's maple syrup roast parsnips.

We normally get through five or six coloured veg on a Sunday. Carrots, broccoli, peas, spinach, asparagus as a minimum to accompany the roasty spuds and snips. We’re also partial to a roasted sweet potato but never do both them and snips together. Veg is great!

We've just jumped on the air fryer bandwagon, having decided it'll probably pay for itself if we use it instead of the oven. My poor wife will be sick of roasted parsnips in a bit.

Not sure if it's been mentioned, and I've only cooked (shallow fried) them a couple of times when I've attempted "fine dining", but celeriac makes a nice change. It has quite a distinct taste - somewhere between parsnip and celery, I'd say. I like them.

I knew there was something wrong with you lot. This thread confirms it.

The best homemade soup ever is parsnip and chili. Easy to make too. Serve with a swirl of double cream and a sprinkling of chopped parsley. Impress your friends.

In terms of soup, we visited some friends who were running a B&B in the Netherlands. They prepared a white asparagus soup which is something I would never ever have picked if I'd been in a restaurant but sheesh, it was stunning. Years later me and Mrs B still wax lyrical about it.

Remember in the 70s people making Parsnip wine and Potato wine. Never tried it and probably never would.

CurtessECarr said:
Remember in the 70s people making Parsnip wine and Potato wine. Never tried it and probably never would.

I used to make my own wine back then. When I was clearing out the garage the other day I found an old bottle of homemade wine dated April ‘81. 🫢

Muteswan said:
CurtessECarr said:

I used to make my own wine back then. When I was clearing out the garage the other day I found an old bottle of homemade wine dated April ‘81. 🫢

Tried it yet? My mate used make and bottle his own the corks used to pop off so he gave up.

CurtessECarr said:
Muteswan said:

Tried it yet? My mate used make and bottle his own the corks used to pop off so he gave up.

Oh definitely not. I’ve still got a lot of my winemaking stuff in the garage too. 🙄

A whole Welsh language learning culture on Duolingo is centred around the pannas 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
#Owen

Parsnips are lush. Roasted to the right point with a good glace and they are splendid

Coventry City v Swansea City

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Back