• Thank you very much | Diolch yn fawr

    All at JackArmy.net would like to thank everyone who has played a part on this site over the past 25 years whether that is through writing, contributing, moderating, posting or just visting and reading.

    Without any of you the work that has gone into the site would have been pointless and we will always be proud that we built, generated and managed a community that was such a big part of the Swansea City supporting life for so long.

    It has been a pleasure to bring to you the site for so long but the time is now right to turn the lights out for the last time but we do it both with a heavy heart and a sense of pride driven by the so many messages received since we announced the closure.

    The site will remain here for a period until we archive and mothball it for the last time later this summer but all aspects are in a read only format.

    Thank you though for all the memories

    Phil Sumbler
    Owner, jackarmy.net

Pedestrian Jailed For Manslaughter

  • Thread starter Thread starter jack123
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies: Replies 24
  • Views Views: Views 1,429

jack123

Alan Curtis
Joined
Jul 18, 2020
Messages
3,941
Reaction score
546
https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2023/mar/02/pedestrian-jailed-manslaughter-cyclist-fall-car-huntingdon

This has to be one of the most tragic cases I have ever seen, and as sad as it is. I do not think the pedestrian deserved 3 years for that.

I just can't understand how she was charged with manslaughter?
 
I'm not being funny here, and I dont know the exact layout where the incident happened, but 2.4m is not wide enough for a SUP.
 
jack123 said:
https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2023/mar/02/pedestrian-jailed-manslaughter-cyclist-fall-car-huntingdon

This has to be one of the most tragic cases I have ever seen, and as sad as it is. I do not think the pedestrian deserved 3 years for that.

I just can't understand how she was charged with manslaughter?

It’s quite straightforward. It was an unlawful death without the intention to harm or even kill the victim. Death resulted from the actions of the accused.
 
Actions have consequences.

I feel sorry for the lady who died, her family and the poor woman who was driving the car and who had no chance of avoiding hitting the deceased.

The pedestrian should not have got involved, not least react as aggressively as she did. She obviously didn't mean for the deceased to fall off her bike, but why did she feel the need to try and force her off the pavement?
 
We send way too many people to jail who have no business being there.
 
Cooperman said:
It’s quite straightforward. It was an unlawful death without the intention to harm or even kill the victim. Death resulted from the actions of the accused.

No, take a look at the path the cyclist was taking. She was on the inside of the pavement, rather than the outside,
 
JackSomething said:
Actions have consequences.

I feel sorry for the lady who died, her family and the poor woman who was driving the car and who had no chance of avoiding hitting the deceased.

The pedestrian should not have got involved, not least react as aggressively as she did. She obviously didn't mean for the deceased to fall off her bike, but why did she feel the need to try and force her off the pavement?

Force her off the pavement? WTF, the rider was in the incorrect anyway, it's a bit like a child hop skip and jumping on his way too school
 
jack123 said:
No, take a look at the path the cyclist was taking. She was on the inside of the pavement, rather than the outside,
Makes no difference mate, a SUP is exactly that,peds and cyclists share the same space.A segregated path is where peds and cyclists are separated by a white line, usually down the centre of the path, and should keep to their allotted side. Basically ped and cyclists are not required to keep to any side on an SUP.
 
exiledclaseboy said:
We send way too many people to jail who have no business being there.

The gallows was a simpler, more effective tool. Auriol should be relieved.
 
exiledclaseboy said:
We send way too many people to jail who have no business being there.
Wibble wibble tough on crime, or something.
 
Awful case this, read about it on Friday (i think).

Personally, without knowing the intricate details, I don't think the woman should have been jailed.
 
jack123 said:
Force her off the pavement? WTF, the rider was in the incorrect anyway, it's a bit like a child hop skip and jumping on his way too school

How was the rider incorrect?

From what I read, the authorities can't agree even now on whether it's an SUP or not, so how could this random pedestrian be such an expert?
 
JackSomething said:
How was the rider incorrect?

From what I read, the authorities can't agree even now on whether it's an SUP or not, so how could this random pedestrian be such an expert?
Bit strange that, it's either an SUP or not. If it was an SUP, there would have to be signage and markings on the footway, warning peds and cyclists. Odd.
 
JackSomething said:
How was the rider incorrect?

From what I read, the authorities can't agree even now on whether it's an SUP or not, so how could this random pedestrian be such an expert?

When I said the cyclist was incorrect, I said it out of a safety perspective, like I was thinking the cyclist should have been on the inside of the footpath, rather than near to the road, although I have just watched the video of what happened on Wales Online, and it looks like both the pedestrian and cyclist chose the middle of the footpath.

It's such an unnecessary death, which I can only hazard a guess, was caused by both the cyclist and pedestrian, not giving way to one another, like if it was me and saw a cyclist heading towards me, I would move, also if I was a cyclist I would slow down and let the pedestrian pass.

I note in the case, they say it's a shared, but I think it's an unwritten rule that a cyclist would give way to a pedestrian?
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top