• ***IMPORTANT*** SOME PASSWORDS NOT WORKING

There has been some issues with user passwords. Some users may need to reset their passwords to login to the forum. Please use the password reset option when logging in. If you do experience issues and find our account is locked then please email admin@jackarmy.net Thanks

PL clubs won't care if EFL teams go under

DafyddHuw

Youth Team Apprentice
Reaction score
https://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2020/sep/29/deadly-dychonomics-premier-league-clubs-wont-care-if-efl-teams-go-under

Excellent article.

DafyddHuw said:
https://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2020/sep/29/deadly-dychonomics-premier-league-clubs-wont-care-if-efl-teams-go-under

Excellent article.

As you say a decent piece of work & broadly not far off the mark, personally I think the Prem will throw some crumbs at the EFL with a polite but clear message around this is the last time & cut your cloth accordingly going forward - Leagues 1 & 2 have already brought in salary caps and suspect we’ll have one in the Championship soon.

I've been saying this for a while, the PL clubs, especially the big clubs dont give a rate arse about the smaller clubs, they want the next generation to start 'supporting' them.

Many Premier League clubs would prefer a European League with those not in it making up an English professional pyramid.

Badlands said:
Many Premier League clubs would prefer a European League with those not in it making up an English professional pyramid.

Yes and I hope its sorted sooner rather than later.

It'll be a case of making some big noises and shows of support and delivering nothing but lip service. Supporters of clubs that have gone under are potential new reqruits for them after all.

Fireboy said:
I've been saying this for a while, the PL clubs, especially the big clubs dont give a rate arse about the smaller clubs, they want the next generation to start 'supporting' them.

Totally agree, but would like to add that the majority of players dont either, you have the odd one here and they are in the minority.

The PL is a mercenary league with Maverick owners and foreign players with no real affinity for the club they play for or the community they represent.

Also the fan bases are armchair supporters with no real connection with clubs they claim to support. In my office i have Liverpool, Man City, Man Utd and Arsenal fans mostly Hampshire born without on Saints fan in sight with St Mary's being 20 mins drive away.

If the PL had their way they would cull a third of clubs in the prem as it stands.

Make no mistake, the EPL cartel is eyeing this is a massive opportunity to finally seal the door to the clubs in the lower pyramid of the game.

They'll do as much (or as little) as they can to ensure that enough clubs go to the wall.

I would imagine the support between owners for a closed membership model is an overwhelming majority.

It would be a kick in the nuts, but work out better for the EFL clubs in the long run, the chase is better than the catch.

Did anyone see the Forest Green chairman live on SSN earlier saying the government should throw in £200million because it’s a drop in the ocean.
I can see that going down well. :lol:

work out better for the EFL clubs in the long run, the chase is better than the catch.
[/quote]

People keep telling themselves that enough they might believe that it's true. Personally I'd rather be losing to Liverpool than Luton, but there are a few odd "The Championship is better!" types about.

Dr. Winston said:
work out better for the EFL clubs in the long run, the chase is better than the catch.

People keep telling themselves that enough they might believe that it's true. Personally I'd rather be losing to Liverpool than Luton, but there are a few odd "The Championship is better!" types about.
[/quote]

Maybe its not as stark for us, but if it is a question of having a club to support, or chasing your tail to the supposed promise land, then its a no brainer.

JustJack said:
if it is a question of having a club to support, or chasing your tail to the supposed promise land, then its a no brainer.

No reason you can't do both. It's been done before, including by us. We got into the current situation by copying everyone else instead of sticking to what worked.

Clubs get into financial trouble because they spend too much money, egged on by their own supporters demanding more signings. Even now, with the clubs second biggest current revenue stream cut off we've got people bitching because we're trying to sign players for "only" £200k. It's insane.

If the FFP rules were worth a spit and properly policed/enforced there wouldn't be half as many problems as there are.

Dr. Winston said:
JustJack said:
if it is a question of having a club to support, or chasing your tail to the supposed promise land, then its a no brainer.

No reason you can't do both. It's been done before, including by us. We goU8t into the current situation by copying everyone else instead of sticking to what worked.

Clubs get into financial trouble because they spend too much money, egged on by their own supporters demanding more signings. Even now, with the clubs second biggest current revenue stream cut off we've got people bitching because we're trying to sign players for "only" £200k. It's insane.

If the FFP rules were worth a spit and properly policed/enforced there wouldn't be half as many problems as there are.

Well there will be plenty of reasons if things go the way the EPL hierarchy want it to

Worst case scenario in my eyes, total annihilation in L1 and L2, with 90% going to the wall, and the EPL mop up any survivors in the Championship, along with attractive L1 teams such as Ipswich, Pompey and Sunderland. The clubs that are left form an 'EPL 2' division and close it off underneath them.

Recently wound up clubs will then go on to form phoenix clubs in a new non league system, separate from the top two tiers.

JustJack said:
Worst case scenario in my eyes, total annihilation in L1 and L2, with 90% going to the wall, and the EPL mop up any survivors in the Championship, along with attractive L1 teams such as Ipswich, Pompey and Sunderland. The clubs that are left form an 'EPL 2' division and close it off underneath them.

Recently wound up clubs will then go on to form phoenix clubs in a new non league system, separate from the top two tiers.

I wouldn't disagree that there's a massive restructure on the cards. The English system is unique as far as I'm aware in supporting four professional divisions, perhaps five as most conference teams are largely full time now. In the current environment that's probably unsustainable and has been for a while. Enough teams seem to limp from one financial catastrophe to another.

I don't see an end to promotion up the system, although I don't doubt some of the bigger club owners would like it to happen.

Coventry City v Swansea City

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Back