• ***IMPORTANT*** SOME PASSWORDS NOT WORKING

There has been some issues with user passwords. Some users may need to reset their passwords to login to the forum. Please use the password reset option when logging in. If you do experience issues and find our account is locked then please email admin@jackarmy.net Thanks

Plea to the yanks

sainthelens

Roger Freestone
Reaction score
Regarding next season. Yes, we know the drill,need to balance the books etc etc. But give us a fckn chance for once yeah.
At last we can all now see that Russ has got us going, 'the process ' only works if you back him and keep and possibly add to what we got. It has got to be worth a gamble to get us up next year. Otherwise we are just gonna be building every year with different players/managers.
We have been mediocre at times, but lately we have really clicked and signs are we are now finally onto something.
So don't pull the rug in the summer please. Dont sell our prize assets and give us a FCKN chance...please.

Someone needs to explain to them that it's in their own interest. If they ever hope to make a profit on their investment, they have to back us to get into the Prem.

As much as I can understand the sentiment, gambling out future on promotion is rarely in a clubs best interests. Sometimes it works. Sometimes you end up like Bolton, Portsmouth or worse.

It seems we're running at a deficit this year. I'd be interested to know how much it is. They borrowed £12m last year, and we had parachute payments then.

There needs to be a balanced approach. That's how we did it on the way up, and we were able to improve with every big sale.

Uxy said:
As much as I can understand the sentiment, gambling out future on promotion is rarely in a clubs best interests. Sometimes it works. Sometimes you end up like Bolton, Portsmouth or worse.

Or Derby.

They’re hoping we get a good draft pick this year

Cooperman said:
Uxy said:

Or Derby.

A cautionary tale if ever there was one. Morris spent to the limit, cheered on by the fans (and even their Trust). Investment innit. Except it isn't, it corrupts the competition and, when it's time for a margin call, they're stuffed.

Bring through talent, sell high, repeat but at a higher level each time. It's the only way.

:evil:
Uxy said:
Cooperman said:
Or Derby.

A cautionary tale if ever there was one. Morris spent to the limit, cheered on by the fans (and even their Trust). Investment innit. Except it isn't, it corrupts the competition and, when it's time for a margin call, they're stuffed.

Bring through talent, sell high, repeat but at a higher level each time. It's the only way.
Until one year, when the only way comes a cropper and we get relegated. We don't have to bankrupt the club to challenge ffs.

Uxy said:
Cooperman said:
Or Derby.

This x1000.

Feel like I'm turning into a Brentford cheerleader today, but they showed that buying low and selling high is a perfectly good strategy if you're confident in your scouting and ability to judge players.

They sign Watkins for £1.8m, sell him a few years later for £25m and understand they have to spend more to replace him adequately, so they spend £5m on Toney, who scores more goals for them than Watkins did. This was a continuation of a cycle that started with Andre Gray, then Neal Maupay before Watkins.

So in one summer after losing in the Playoff final, they sold Watkins and Benrahma for around £45m, reinvested a small portion of that money and improved their team in the process.

The only time in recent history we abandoned our own attempts to buy low and sell high was the January transfer window in which we paid huge fees and wages to bring in Ayew and Bony. 2 players who were very likely to depreciate in value and we all know what that ended up doing to the club.

Uxy said:
Cooperman said:
Or Derby.

I agree with you, but it'll be so depressing when we sell on Piroe, Downs, Cabango last minute, with no replacement, for the usual fraction of what other clubs seem to get. I suppose we hit the jackpot with McBurnie and James so I can't hurl too many tomatoes now. I hope we can at least keep the core of what Martin wants. That might just mean Grimes, Manning and Smith, and I'd rather see them out the door than the first three, but they wouldn't pay for more than using the floodlights next year.

Personally i'd like the yanks to give us just 1 season where we dont flog off the silverware if it doesnt work then so be it sell a couple of good players, maybe one year tho we'll get rid of the cream and only buy sour milk as a replacement

JackSomething said:
Uxy said:

This x1000.

Feel like I'm turning into a Brentford cheerleader today, but they showed that buying low and selling high is a perfectly good strategy if you're confident in your scouting and ability to judge players.

They sign Watkins for £1.8m, sell him a few years later for £25m and understand they have to spend more to replace him adequately, so they spend £5m on Toney, who scores more goals for them than Watkins did. This was a continuation of a cycle that started with Andre Gray, then Neal Maupay before Watkins.

So in one summer after losing in the Playoff final, they sold Watkins and Benrahma for around £45m, reinvested a small portion of that money and improved their team in the process.

The only time in recent history we abandoned our own attempts to buy low and sell high was the January transfer window in which we paid huge fees and wages to bring in Ayew and Bony. 2 players who were very likely to depreciate in value and we all know what that ended up doing to the club.

The Brentford module looks good dont it, difference is our owners will flog our assets for fck all last minute leaving carnage to start a season.

The other side of it is a player gets the chance to play Premier league football or a move that will significantly increase his wages could you blame him wanting to go? So yes keep the Jewels if they want to stay.

Uxy said:

It seems we're running at a deficit this year. I'd be interested to know how much it is. They borrowed £12m last year, and we had parachute payments then.

There needs to be a balanced approach. That's how we did it on the way up, and we were able to improve with every big sale.

Last year we had the crippling wages of Ayew like a millstone around our neck. We shifted a lot of our high earners either off the books completely or loaned out this season as well as wrapped up the Cat 1 youth system

I would hope we are not in the red to anywhere the magnitude of last season.

bakajack said:
Uxy said:

Last year we had the crippling wages of Ayew like a millstone around our neck. We shifted a lot of our high earners either off the books completely or loaned out this season as well as wrapped up the Cat 1 youth system

I would hope we are not in the red to anywhere the magnitude of last season.

Our income is half what it was last year. I'm not convinced our costs are.

monmouth said:
Uxy said:

I agree with you, but it'll be so depressing when we sell on Piroe, Downs, Cabango last minute, with no replacement, for the usual fraction of what other clubs seem to get. I suppose we hit the jackpot with McBurnie and James so I can't hurl too many tomatoes now. I hope we can at least keep the core of what Martin wants. That might just mean Grimes, Manning and Smith, and I'd rather see them out the door than the first three, but they wouldn't pay for more than using the floodlights next year.

You're describing competence rather than methodology there :D

Coventry City v Swansea City

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Back