• ***IMPORTANT*** SOME PASSWORDS NOT WORKING

There has been some issues with user passwords. Some users may need to reset their passwords to login to the forum. Please use the password reset option when logging in. If you do experience issues and find our account is locked then please email admin@jackarmy.net Thanks

Scott Parker

Roger said:
We've all got to get used to the fact that Swansea is not a big pull for talented young managers any longer. The allure of "recently being a Premier League club which plays attractive footy" has gone and won't be coming back until we get new owners who want to invest in the club.

We need to find another Rodgers type. No one thought anything of the Irish Gnome after failed stints at Watford and the like. We took a punt. The punt paid off. Is there another in the Championship? The likes of Carrick was a good find by Middlesbrough, someone like him.

Not another MK Dons manager. It made no sense then, it makes no sense now. I still don't understand what the hell we saw in Russell? Its beyond weird.

We need a reset. I don't want us trying to play boring possession football. This "Swansea Way" needs to die a quick death because it's embarrassing and a load of bulls**t. We didn't try to play Spanish football down the Vetch, why have we adopted this stupid saying? I want us to play quick, aggressive, back-to-front counter-attacking football with energy, flying wingers and a striker who scores goals. (A goalie who saves the ball from time to time would be good, too).

F**k Levein, f**k the board and f**k Russ.

Nothing wrong with possession based football, but it has to be mixed with and accompanied by the quick aggressive, back to front counter attacking football with energy you want to see. Knocking it round the back non stop involved ting pressure and giving goals away isn’t enough. You mention Rodgers, I genuinely believe Sousa’s work the pr3vious season was a major factor in Rodger’s success. It wasn’t great football, but he improved the back 4. With a better striker he could have made the play offs and who knows.

MajorR said:
Nothing wrong with possession based football, but it has to be mixed with and accompanied by the quick aggressive, back to front counter attacking football with energy you want to see. Knocking it round the back non stop involved ting pressure and giving goals away isn’t enough. You mention Rodgers, I genuinely believe Sousa’s work the pr3vious season was a major factor in Rodger’s success. It wasn’t great football, but he improved the back 4. With a better striker he could have made the play offs and who knows.

Possession based football made us the darling's of the Premier league under Laudrup, he had the players, he had a plan.

Then it all went tìts up ...

Roger said:
We've all got to get used to the fact that Swansea is not a big pull for talented young managers any longer. The allure of "recently being a Premier League club which plays attractive footy" has gone and won't be coming back until we get new owners who want to invest in the club.

We need to find another Rodgers type. No one thought anything of the Irish Gnome after failed stints at Watford and the like. We took a punt. The punt paid off. Is there another in the Championship? The likes of Carrick was a good find by Middlesbrough, someone like him.

Not another MK Dons manager. It made no sense then, it makes no sense now. I still don't understand what the hell we saw in Russell? Its beyond weird.

We need a reset. I don't want us trying to play boring possession football. This "Swansea Way" needs to die a quick death because it's embarrassing and a load of bulls**t. We didn't try to play Spanish football down the Vetch, why have we adopted this stupid saying? I want us to play quick, aggressive, back-to-front counter-attacking football with energy, flying wingers and a striker who scores goals. (A goalie who saves the ball from time to time would be good, too).

So many good points raised in this post.

The biggest problem though is that I don't see any 'reset' coming any time soon. We have been in a downward spiral, probably since we beat Valencia. More or less, every season we have got gradually worse and worse.

We went from a midtable Prem team to lower midtable Prem team to a fighting relegation Prem team to a relegated Prem team.

We were an upper midtable team under Potter, only a brilliant run after the COVID break turned us from the same under Cooper into a playoff team, playoffs the following year, midtable under Russ last year, lower midtable this season... see where this is going?

I don't blame the Americans necessarily, although I do think significant mistakes were made in that first summer that would have bought us more time in the Premier League. It did really accelerate from that point.

I don't particularly like Martin but I don't really blame him either. We all know he'll be gone sooner rather than later. Then even if we stumble across the next Rodgers, he would be coming in under totally different circumstances. Brendan took on a side on an upward spiral after Flynn, Jacket, Martinez and Sousa all did good jobs to some degree or other... whoever replaces Martin will be trying to stop a slump. And with a far worse squad than Martin currently has (assuming we lose Piroe and Manning).

Getting into the playoffs/prem is an absolute pipe dream for the foreseeable future. And I don't see why any manager worth his salt would possibly consider us right now.

ARQS said:
So many good points raised in this post.

The biggest problem though is that I don't see any 'reset' coming any time soon. We have been in a downward spiral, probably since we beat Valencia. More or less, every season we have got gradually worse and worse.

We went from a midtable Prem team to lower midtable Prem team to a fighting relegation Prem team to a relegated Prem team.

We were an upper midtable team under Potter, only a brilliant run after the COVID break turned us from the same under Cooper into a playoff team, playoffs the following year, midtable under Russ last year, lower midtable this season... see where this is going?

I don't blame the Americans necessarily, although I do think significant mistakes were made in that first summer that would have bought us more time in the Premier League. It did really accelerate from that point.

I don't particularly like Martin but I don't really blame him either. We all know he'll be gone sooner rather than later. Then even if we stumble across the next Rodgers, he would be coming in under totally different circumstances. Brendan took on a side on an upward spiral after Flynn, Jacket, Martinez and Sousa all did good jobs to some degree or other... whoever replaces Martin will be trying to stop a slump. And with a far worse squad than Martin currently has (assuming we lose Piroe and Manning).

Getting into the playoffs/prem is an absolute pipe dream for the foreseeable future. And I don't see why any manager worth his salt would possibly consider us right now.

Some fair points there, but regarding any decent manager coming here, I think you'll find that most if not all or em have egos as big as the stadium and will think they can achieve anything.

sainthelens said:
Some fair points there, but regarding any decent manager coming here, I think you'll find that most if not all or em have egos as big as the stadium and will think they can achieve anything.

We struggled last time, didn't we? And now we are even worse.

I'm not saying there won't be the odd decent candidate but ultimately, a Championship job probably comes up 15-20 times in a season so the best will bide their time knowing a better job will likely turn up soon.

Roger said:

Excellent post. Oh, and fuck the Trust nobodies.

Swanjaxs said:
Possession based football made us the darling's of the Premier league under Laudrup, he had the players, he had a plan.

Then it all went tìts up ...

At our best, I don't think we were a possession based team per se. We played tiki-taka football which focuses on short, sharp, quick, one or two touch passing with plenty of movement and fluidity and if you do that properly, you will almost always have the lion's share of the possession, but only as a consequence rather than the aim or, in Martin's case, the obsession. Martinez brought that and brought in a few players capable of doing it, Sousa stiffened the defence and Rodgers continued with it in his own way but Laudrup perfected it, and boy, we were good at it. Unfortunately, Monk destroyed all that by getting rid of the foreign players to whom it was second nature like de Guzman and nearly all of the Spaniards and it's been downhill ever since.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/64884076
Nah your all right

Coventry City v Swansea City

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Back