• ***IMPORTANT*** SOME PASSWORDS NOT WORKING

There has been some issues with user passwords. Some users may need to reset their passwords to login to the forum. Please use the password reset option when logging in. If you do experience issues and find our account is locked then please email admin@jackarmy.net Thanks

Sounds music paper

Darran

Roger Freestone
Reaction score
There’s a guy on Twitter that has every copy of Sounds through the years.
If you’re of a certain age you’ll love it.
He’s @SoundsClips if anyone’s interested.
Photos,reviews and this morning he posted these ads.

Attachments

• 5DC1F5CE-A4C0-453E-B2CF-7BDA7E9B317E.jpeg
    602.8 KB · Views: 1,734
  • 13BF3E08-D791-4546-94EE-4081A4B8AE34.jpeg
    13BF3E08-D791-4546-94EE-4081A4B8AE34.jpeg
    145.1 KB · Views: 1,734
I remember those ads for flares and loons and the double page spread for mail order albums from Virgin Records before they had any shops (remember the one in Swansea near the market entrance?). That was before Richard Branson dreamed of owning an aeroplane.

I always bought the NME it was more political and funny, sounds was ok ish , as for melody maker it was boring as hell

Darran said:
Best_loser said:
I always bought the NME it was more political and funny, sounds was ok ish , as for melody maker it was boring as hell

Always sounds for me.

Quite often I would buy nme and sounds sounds catered for more mainstream bands which you like , I was more into punk and new wave at the time, best part of NME was Paul Morley writing for it, an absolute genius of a music journalist , Charles shar Murray also

Best_loser said:
Darran said:
Always sounds for me.

Quite often I would buy nme and sounds sounds catered for more mainstream bands which you like , I was more into punk and new wave at the time, best part of NME was Paul Morley writing for it, an absolute genius of a music journalist , Charles shar Murray also

I can’t stand Morley.

The Sounds chap has some good ones mind.

https://twitter.com/soundsclips/status/1430785413959016452?s=21

https://twitter.com/soundsclips/status/1375102884992446470?s=21

J_B said:
I remember those ads for flares and loons and the double page spread for mail order albums from Virgin Records before they had any shops (remember the one in Swansea near the market entrance?). That was before Richard Branson dreamed of owning an aeroplane.

The photos of those flares reminded me of my wedding suit. I can’t believe I actually wore them that wide. 🙄
Not mentioning the lapels. 😮. Unfortunately couldn’t forget them if I tried, so many wedding photos.

Fashion eh!

New Musical Express for me , Melody Maker seemed to target the musicians more than music fans .

Remember the very floppy discs they gave away as promotions regularly , they did play well too .

The sexually repressed teenaged me liked whichever one had a picture of Hazel O'Connor with her surprisingly pleasant top half on show. Yes, I liked that one.

Squarebear said:
The sexually repressed teenaged me liked whichever one had a picture of Hazel O'Connor with her surprisingly pleasant top half on show. Yes, I liked that one.

I’ll raise you a Debbie Harry.

https://twitter.com/soundsclips/status/1357252586886283264?s=21

Bought both sounds and nme for a good few years in the middle 70s to early 80s . A good few of my mates used to read them when working night shifts. Definitely preferred sounds myself.

Coventry City v Swansea City

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Back