• ***IMPORTANT*** SOME PASSWORDS NOT WORKING

There has been some issues with user passwords. Some users may need to reset their passwords to login to the forum. Please use the password reset option when logging in. If you do experience issues and find our account is locked then please email admin@jackarmy.net Thanks

Today - Duff's comment about defenders keeping the ball for no good reason

God the Father, God the Son, God the Holy Ghost. The boys are back in town.

Swansea93 said:
Duff is no mug, he’s been a winner both as player and manager, the bloke knows what he’s doing and has a better pedigree as manager and player than Martin had, Martin was given 2 years and Duff has had 2 games and people are going mad, chill out, it took Barnsley until around October to get fully going under him and they ended up in the playoff final.

Plus certain interest in our players might be causing issues whilst their heads are being turned who knows (Grimes, Piroe, Wood, Cabango)

Great post nailed it.

Swansea93 said:
Duff is no mug, he’s been a winner both as player and manager, the bloke knows what he’s doing and has a better pedigree as manager and player than Martin had, Martin was given 2 years and Duff has had 2 games and people are going mad, chill out, it took Barnsley until around October to get fully going under him and they ended up in the playoff final.

With the greatest of respect, even though all of that is true, it means absolutely nothing in terms of how well he will do here. Football doesn't work like that. If the fit isn't right (and I'm not saying it is or isn't at this early stage) then it won't work.

Look at Brendan. It didn't work for him at Reading, the fit wasn't right - they had a set of players to play a certain way, he wasn't a good fit, it went tits up and he's sacked before Xmas. He comes to us a few months later, and it's like hand in glove.

I'll give the bloke until at least until the end of October before passing judgement. But what he's done previously is of no interest to me whatsoever.

Andrew - North Hill said:
With the greatest of respect, even though all of that is true, it means absolutely nothing in terms of how well he will do here. Football doesn't work like that. If the fit isn't right (and I'm not saying it is or isn't at this early stage) then it won't work.

Look at Brendan. It didn't work for him at Reading, the fit wasn't right - they had a set of players to play a certain way, he wasn't a good fit, it went tits up and he's sacked before Xmas. He comes to us a few months later, and it's like hand in glove.

I'll give the bloke until at least until the end of October before passing judgement. But what he's done previously is of no interest to me whatsoever.

And of course, with the greatest of respect, your judgement will be totally meaningless to anyone except you, and what you think will be of no interest to Duff, or the club, or its fans.

As of course will be mine, although I'd give him a lot longer than October before declaring any worthless internet opinion.

End of October, I think it's clear to see you've already passed judgement on him reading between your lines.

Nocountryforoldjack said:
End of October, I think it's clear to see you've already passed judgement on him reading between your lines.

If I'd already passed judgement on him, then I'd do it, and I wouldn't say I was holding judgement till end of October. Read between whatever silly made up lines you want, couldn't care less chum.

monmouth said:
And of course, with the greatest of respect, your judgement will be totally meaningless to anyone except you, and what you think will be of no interest to Duff, or the club, or its fans.

As of course will be mine, although I'd give him a lot longer than October before declaring any worthless internet opinion.

You'd better tell Phil to shut down the site then, all of this is a bit pointless isn't it.

If I'd already passed judgement on him, then I'd do it, and I wouldn't say I was holding judgement till end of October. Read between whatever silly made up lines you want, couldn't care less chum.

I'm not your chum.

You'd better tell Phil to shut down the site then, all of this is a bit pointless isn't it.

I’m not siding with yourself or oldjack, but I agree with the opinion statement, it’s the internet and a forum, and it’s better imo that people vent here if possible, rather than at the games where support is physically needed, unless Duff IS reading this? 👀😂

Yeah, sorry, it wasn't really aimed at you, even though it referenced your post. I just get fed up with all the farties (again, not you) on soshul and twatter who actually think their opinion counts for anything and are full of self importance. Soz.

monmouth said:
Yeah, sorry, it wasn't really aimed at you, even though it referenced your post. I just get fed up with all the farties (again, not you) on soshul and twatter who actually think their opinion counts for anything and are full of self importance. Soz.

Understood, np 👍🏻

Except he didn't say it was defenders doing it, he said the whole team were doing it.

Anyway, probably splitting hairs there.

The point is, it's not just about his comments today, he's been making comments like that since his very first press conference.

It doesn't take a genius to work out that what he wants to do is very different to Martin. And that's fine. He's the boss now. But why doesn't he just get on with it and do it, instead of making sly digs at the bloke before him? I just think it's wholly unnecessary, and it certainly won't be endearing him to anyone else, other than his own staff and Coleman perhaps.

Like you, I totally agree that 2 games is way too early to judge what's going on on the pitch. He deserves until the end of October at least, on that front.

But I really don't like the cut of his jib in press conferences so far. He comes across like he's got a massive chip on his shoulder, to me anyway. I'd like to see him quit the unnecessary jibes and just crack on with the job in hand.

The problem is, some people who never wanted Martin to leave in the first place and are hoping Duff will fail have been uber-analysing his media comments to find a stick to beat him with since he started (because they know that we all gave Martin a fair run of games before making our minds up, so calling him out as a dud after two games would be too obvious). ‘Lacks class’ because he suggested that we need to build on what Martin achieved rather than preserving it in aspic as the new ‘Swansea Way’, apparently.

And this always comes from the same posters who insisted Martin’s interviews were always perfect, honest and brave, even when he threw young players under the bus rather than accepting responsibility.

Let’s move on and look to the future rather than endlessly replaying the past shall we.

cadleigh said:
The problem is, some people who never wanted Martin to leave in the first place and are hoping Duff will fail have been uber-analysing his media comments to find a stick to beat him with since he started (because they know that we all gave Martin a fair run of games before making our minds up, so calling him out as a dud after two games would be too obvious). ‘Lacks class’ because he suggested that we need to build on what Martin achieved rather than preserving it in aspic as the new ‘Swansea Way’, apparently.

And this always comes from the same posters who insisted Martin’s interviews were always perfect, honest and brave, even when he threw young players under the bus rather than accepting responsibility.

Let’s move on and look to the future rather than endlessly replaying the past shall we.

In a nut shell, still a lot of broken hearts about, jilted lovers who are bitter.

The other attack line is to label his style of play as ‘Duffball’ and imply he is taking us back to the way we played under Cooper and Monk (apparently that is all one way of playing and both managers had us hoofing the ball like Wimbledon in the days of Vinny Jones, but let’s discuss that another time). Way too early to judge IMO but if Barnsley in the play-offs is anything to go by that’s not his style at all.

2024/2025 fixture list release

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Back