• ***IMPORTANT*** SOME PASSWORDS NOT WORKING

There has been some issues with user passwords. Some users may need to reset their passwords to login to the forum. Please use the password reset option when logging in. If you do experience issues and find our account is locked then please email admin@jackarmy.net Thanks

Walking football

Epaul

Alan Waddle
Reaction score
Not sure if this is the right board.........lol!!

Anyone play? Been playing for about 18 months now and kin love it, just been voted Secretary of Barry Town United Walking football Club.
Some people tend to mock walking footie, all i will say is try it then mock it, it's brilliant as well as a bit of fun, great for us over 50's for a bit of fitness and a social side.
We've grown as a club in the last 12 months where we now have 2 over 50's teams and an over 60's side, we come under the welsh walking football association, although talks are on going with the FAW, it's complicated I guess but think it would be brilliant in the long run if we come under them, funding exposure etc.
Whilst we are Barry Town United, in non welsh walking football comps we are

https://www.duffersunited.co.uk/

This weekend we are off the Cornwall to take part in a comp on Sunday which I cant wait

Have to say even though there are some CCFC supporters in the club a great bunch of lads. Im known as JB!!

A bit of reality though the season usually goes over two or three weekends, a game lasts 12 minutes, a full size pitch is split into 4, yes there are a few rules around tackling running etc, at the opening of this season held in caldicot a player from Carmarthen collapsed and had to be revived pitch side, which thankfully he was, he's on the mend now, they day was cancelled, the net round is down Neath on Sunday 15th May.
For myself, I had a trial for the wales squad but got blue carded for running :lol: :lol: I've never been asked back, so my international career ended before it started :lol: :lol:
I also got sent off for running in the league :lol: :lol: :lol:

I'm the group leader for Oliva U3A walking football. For those who don't know, U3A is University of the Third Age, a retiree's organisation mostly for ex pats of all nationalities, which runs many cultural and sporting activities.
We play once a week on Friday mornings at Oliva Sports Centre. Games last 25 minutes each way, we play on an outside hard surface pitch of five-a-side size. We have players from England, Scotland, Wales, N Ireland, Romania, Argentina, France and Germany. Ages range from mid 50s to 70-ish. We've had as many as 18 players turn up but it's usually between 10 and 12, which is just right. My knees won't let me play but I ref the games from the sidelines and do all the organisation.
They're a great bunch of lads and a lot of banter goes on during the sessions and in the bar afterwards. We also arrange the occasional club dinner, the last one was in a local curry house.
Yes, it's only walking, but it's still strenuous and very competitive. New players often find they are aching for days afterwards, and muscle strains are very common!
Guest players are always welcome, if you're over here on your hols, why not drop by for a look? We don't play in July and August though, it's too hot 😎

Good on you Paul, sounds like great fun.

Walking is an Olympic sport after all, anyone who disregards its physical requirements are clueless.

Pegojack said:
I'm the group leader for Oliva U3A walking football. For those who don't know, U3A is University of the Third Age, a retiree's organisation mostly for ex pats of all nationalities, which runs many cultural and sporting activities.
We play once a week on Friday mornings at Oliva Sports Centre. Games last 25 minutes each way, we play on an outside hard surface pitch of five-a-side size. We have players from England, Scotland, Wales, N Ireland, Romania, Argentina, France and Germany. Ages range from mid 50s to 70-ish. We've had as many as 18 players turn up but it's usually between 10 and 12, which is just right. My knees won't let me play but I ref the games from the sidelines and do all the organisation.
They're a great bunch of lads and a lot of banter goes on during the sessions and in the bar afterwards. We also arrange the occasional club dinner, the last one was in a local curry house.
Yes, it's only walking, but it's still strenuous and very competitive. New players often find they are aching for days afterwards, and muscle strains are very common!
Guest players are always welcome, if you're over here on your hols, why not drop by for a look? We don't play in July and August though, it's too hot 😎
Great stuff pal, if I'm ever that way I'll be there, game day today, we're all hungover like f*ck 😂😂😂 I'm off for a 5 mile jog to clear the cobwebs prob off to Spoons then for brekkie 😂😂😂

Epaul said:
Pegojack said:
Great stuff pal, if I'm ever that way I'll be there, game day today, we're all hungover like f*ck 😂😂😂 I'm off for a 5 mile jog to clear the cobwebs prob off to Spoons then for brekkie 😂😂😂

You and a 5 mile Jog :lol: :lol: :lol:

Pegojack said:

Tread with caution on this one Michael, he gets sent off and fall's over and breaks his Paws :shock: :lol:

Niigata Jack said:
Pegojack said:

Tread with caution on this one Michael, he gets sent off and fall's over and breaks his Paws :shock: :lol:
In fairness that's not to far from the truth 😂😂😂

Pegojack said:

Are you driving out there with a U.K. licence mush?

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10771529/British-expats-Spain-face-weeks-chaos-banned-driving-post-Brexit-bungle.html

I've been playing ordinary football with a veterans club on Friday evenings since 2010. It's usually between 6 & 8-a-side but occasionally 9 or 10 and obviously it depends how many turn up. We don't play if we've got less than 10 for a 5-a-side game but I do recall a 12-a-side game we had a few years ago! About 3 years ago during the summer when we were struggling to get enough due to holidays, etc, I tried the walking game for a few months as I was already in my late 60s and wanted to see what the future could be like! I really enjoyed it but I knew after a few sessions that I wasn't ready to give up the normal Friday evening stuff because I still enjoy it so much so I still do that despite having just turned 70. I know the day can't be far away when walking footy will be my only option and I will definitely do it but until that day.......... :D

exiledclaseboy said:
Pegojack said:

Are you driving out there with a U.K. licence mush?

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10771529/British-expats-Spain-face-weeks-chaos-banned-driving-post-Brexit-bungle.html

Course not. I changed mine to a Spanish one as soon as I got here, in 2019. I also disengaged from the UK tax system and pay my taxes in Spain. Feck Boris, feck the Tories, they're not getting one penny of tax from me

Troon 2022, won 2 drew 2 lost 2, fine margins, dominated most games, still all round great afternoon, scored a couple to, happy days

Attachments

• d038d664-2d57-4fc0-8b28-945fe7f54308.jpg
    710.1 KB · Views: 224
A mate of mine plays for the Wales walking football team

2024/2025 fixture list release

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members