• ***IMPORTANT*** SOME PASSWORDS NOT WORKING

There has been some issues with user passwords. Some users may need to reset their passwords to login to the forum. Please use the password reset option when logging in. If you do experience issues and find our account is locked then please email admin@jackarmy.net Thanks

Swansea suing Russell Martin

If he’s broken the contract, would it be poor form?
Clearly he broke his contract but it's the stereotypical two wrongs don't make a right.

Compo is sorted with the other club, has there been another club sue a former manager for breaking a contract?
There is a certain eteqete with situations like this and it appears we have gone past it.

Did we sue Rodgers, did we sue Martinez, did we sue Potter?
And I didn't hear fans screaming we should at the time........its barmy is what it is.

No-one will come out of this with much credit

Question is was it us or Russ that told the Telegraph about it yesterday?
Course no one will come out of it with much credit and we are trying something that has never been tried before........not going to be favourable for us at all.

Clearly he broke his contract but it's the stereotypical two wrongs don't make a right.

Compo is sorted with the other club, has there been another club sue a former manager for breaking a contract?
There is a certain eteqete with situations like this and it appears we have gone past it.

And I didn't hear fans screaming we should at the time........its barmy is what it is.
The difference with all of the above is the process followed.

1. Club made an approach to Swans
2. Manager told Swans he wants to talk to club
3. Manager agrees to take over club
4. Club negotiates compensation with Swans
5. Swans give permission for manager to leave
6. Manager leaves Swans and takes over at new club

In RM's case he completely skipped points 4 and 5 and left to take over Southampton before compensation was agreed and permission given for him to do so. Foreseeing a long and ugly legal battle if they stood their ground the club posthumously agreed to the Southampton thing pending a tribunal to settle on the compensation amount. My understanding is that THAT is where the club feels there are grounds to sue him for breach of contract and it would likely be in addition to what they get from Southampton regardless of any tribunal decision.

It is the reason why the Wigan press conference to reveal Martinez ended up being a no show as Huw ever so kindly reminded them 20 minutes before the conference that they had only agreed a fee for Martinez and not for any of his backroom staff.

The difference with all of the above is the process followed.

1. Club made an approach to Swans
2. Manager told Swans he wants to talk to club
3. Manager agrees to take over club
4. Club negotiates compensation with Swans
5. Swans give permission for manager to leave
6. Manager leaves Swans and takes over at new club

In RM's case he completely skipped points 4 and 5 and left to take over Southampton before compensation was agreed and permission given for him to do so. Foreseeing a long and ugly legal battle if they stood their ground the club posthumously agreed to the Southampton thing pending a tribunal to settle on the compensation amount. My understanding is that THAT is where the club feels there are grounds to sue him for breach of contract and it would likely be in addition to what they get from Southampton regardless of any tribunal decision.

It is the reason why the Wigan press conference to reveal Martinez ended up being a no show as Huw ever so kindly reminded them 20 minutes before the conference that they had only agreed a fee for Martinez and not for any of his backroom staff.
I'm not quite sure which word you were after in this context but I am sure "posthumously" is not the right one unless someone died during the negotiation process that I wasn't aware of! 😂

posthumous
[ pos-chuh-muhs, -choo- ]SHOW IPA

1. arising, occurring, or continuing after one's death:
a posthumous award for bravery.

2. published after the death of the author:
a posthumous novel.

For all calling this "poor form" from us, answer me this.

If we'd sacked Martin, would he have walked away without a penny competition, and just accepted a hearty handshake?...

How do you know compo is sorted?

The other managers you named, compo was eventually sorted with the clubs. Remember Martinez didn't appear at that press conference? Thus he didn't he break his contract.

I think you're conflating breaking a contract (what Martin potentially did) with agreeing with us (the swans) to end the contract so they can join a new club (the normal way of doing things).

How do you know compo is sorted?

The other managers you named, compo was eventually sorted with the clubs. Remember Martinez didn't appear at that press conference? Thus he didn't he break his contract.

I think you're conflating breaking a contract (what Martin potentially did) with agreeing with us (the swans) to end the contract so they can join a new club (the normal way of doing things).
Stated in various outlets that they have received money from Soton and it's around half the 2M they were looking for........if that is true then I don't know, but I'm working off the various reports and admittedly assuming that be the case(i might be wrong).

What has happened here is not the first time it's ever happened in regards a Manager leaving under these circumstances. I don't ever remember a club suing a manager for leaving under similar circumstances either.

We left a massive grey area in the original contract and obviously it's cost us so they are trying different avenues to get a bit of coin in..........an avenue no other club has gone down.

We need to move on from it now and hopefully Martin convinces Soton to come back and offer over 6M for Wood.........we can then be happy that we have got our own back on both 😁

Stated in various outlets that they have received money from Soton and it's around half the 2M they were looking for........if that is true then I don't know, but I'm working off the various reports and admittedly assuming that be the case(i might be wrong).

What has happened here is not the first time it's ever happened in regards a Manager leaving under these circumstances. I don't ever remember a club suing a manager for leaving under similar circumstances either.

We left a massive grey area in the original contract and obviously it's cost us so they are trying different avenues to get a bit of coin in..........an avenue no other club has gone down.

We need to move on from it now and hopefully Martin convinces Soton to come back and offer over 6M for Wood.........we can then be happy that we have got our own back on both 😁
So no guarantee the compo is not sorted then. To me it appears we may have received some but then stated we'd go after the full amount in his release clause. So unless the tribunal has sat there is no agreement.

Bring 100% serious here annswer this,apart from beating Cardiff four times for a double doube which nobody can ever take away from him what were the good times?

Oh I loved the good times, was enthralled by the “process” and was enthused by the badge kissing and fist pumping. I also think Netflix got the casting wrong for the lead their series.

I hope that the club’s legal advice is better than the time they went after the builders of the stadium and lost. They seem to like a suit.
Or the ones who advised them that the club was a sound financial investment!

So Martin is saying that the reason we are taking him to court is "personal".
I agree, when you walk out of a club that you are contracted to, the he himself made it "personal" ...

So Martin is saying that the reason we are taking him to court is "personal".
I agree, when you walk out of a club that you are contracted to, the he himself made it "personal" ...
Thing I found with Russ, was it was always someone else's fault, never his.

Swansea City v Millwall

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Back