• ***IMPORTANT*** SOME PASSWORDS NOT WORKING

There has been some issues with user passwords. Some users may need to reset their passwords to login to the forum. Please use the password reset option when logging in. If you do experience issues and find our account is locked then please email admin@jackarmy.net Thanks

4-2-3-1

FearOfAJackPlanet

Alan Waddle
Reaction score
I'm not much of a formation nerd, but it looks like we're playing 4231 during our current resurgence.

Key---Darling--Cabango--Humphreys

Patino--Grimes

Cullen--Paterson--Lowe

Yates

Any thoughts on where the weakpoints are with fitting our squad into that?

I got the feeling we signed players in the summer based on planning to play 5-3-2, so for example, I'm not 100% sure Josh Tymon fits well into this - not defensively strong enough for a back 4 and maybe not quite right for playing in a forward 3 either, but maybe ideal for a wingback in a 5-3-2.

I think Yates is a little lightweight for a lone striker - maybe Mykola K has a future there, with Yates replacing Cullen, who looks a little lost at times. Ginelly looks perfect for playing in that forward 3, so that's a big loss. I actually like Pato playing in that 10 role, although if he's out, it's a little thin there, unless Liam Walsh can stay in one piece.

Andros Townsend was in the media desperately looking for a club to take him after Burnley pulled out last minute, if we could get him on a good deal he’d be a decent option to replace Ginnelly.

Our squad was loaded up with defenders. We are light on pace/wingers and the role Paterson plays.

Might as well give Tymon a try on the wing for the money we've spent on him, if he's behind Pedersen and Humphreys at full back. Liam Smith has been excellent for the u21s. Try Kukharevych in Cullen's position next time out and see if he can bully a full back under the long diagonals.

We shouldn't be surprised at Cullen looking lost out on the wing. Six yard box poachers rarely convert into wide man.

It looks 3 at the back to me when we’re in possession and 4 when we drop deep to defend. I could be wrong though.

Just to add, I think people get hung up on formations too much. More often than not teams are flexible these days. It’s more important the players know what they’re doing in different situations rather than some notional on paper formation (that could well change mid-game anyway).

I think we were planning on a front three of Lowe, Yates and Ginelly. I wouldn't be surprised if we look at the free agent market for someone to fill in for Gino because Cullen certainly ain't it.

I also think the job currently being done by Paterson was earmarked for Ntcham before he left. Fortunately Pato is playing his best football in a good long while whilst Grimes finally seems to be understanding that there are two directions in which a ball can be passed. He and Patino seem a bit interchangeable in terms of who pushes forwards and who sits deeper.

Dr. Winston said:
I think we were planning on a front three of Lowe, Yates and Ginelly. I wouldn't be surprised if we look at the free agent market for someone to fill in for Gino because Cullen certainly ain't it.

I also think the job currently being done by Paterson was earmarked for Ntcham before he left. Fortunately Pato is playing his best football in a good long while whilst Grimes finally seems to be understanding that there are two directions in which a ball can be passed. He and Patino seem a bit interchangeable in terms of who pushes forwards and who sits deeper.

I can't imagine Ntcham working as hard or as well in that advanced 10 position. Never showed the energy for it under Martin, wanted to sit off and let the game come to him like Patino has been doing. Paterson spent most of the game next to Yates and interchanging with the wide players. Very much 4-4-1-1 when defending, Paterson stayed high (to the point that some of the stats sites had him down as playing up front).

On the ball it became more of a 4-3-3 with just Grimes sitting, but even then Paterson was often ahead of Lowe, Cullen or Yates. A lot of fluidity in the front line especially early on. Caught us out on the transition more than a few times, fortunately Grimes had an on-day defensively.

We should be looking at making Lowe or the American guys loan a permanent so we can incorporate this American into the first team squad.
The talk is, this guy from DC United is ready for the first team, his raw speed is something that is needed in the first team.

As stated above, we did put too many of our eggs in the defensive basket and have took our eye off the attacking one.

2024/2025 fixture list release

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Back