• ***IMPORTANT*** SOME PASSWORDS NOT WORKING

There has been some issues with user passwords. Some users may need to reset their passwords to login to the forum. Please use the password reset option when logging in. If you do experience issues and find our account is locked then please email admin@jackarmy.net Thanks

Anne Boleyn gets a tan

MrSwerve said:
And I’d ask again...why couldn’t the excellent Ian McKellen (for example) play Nelson Mandela in a film?

Give me a reason?

I think he would do a fine job. Plenty of respected white actors have played people of colour in movies (in recent years). This is a non issue, the makers know this is going to get people like Darran up in arms which results in free advertising.

Monty said:
MrSwerve said:
And I’d ask again...why couldn’t the excellent Ian McKellen (for example) play Nelson Mandela in a film?

Give me a reason?

Plenty of respected white actors have played people of colour in movies (in recent years). Tihis is a non issue.

Like? 🤷🏻‍♂️

https://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/26-times-white-actors-played-people-of-color-and-no-one-really-gave-a-sht_n_56cf57e2e4b0bf0dab313ffc?ri18n=true&guccounter=1&guce_referrer=aHR0cHM6Ly93d3cuZ29vZ2xlLmNvbS8&guce_referrer_sig=AQAAAGLI_L4feUSAUKPrdGedZN29qBxWkG2O7UbMboGdH9t4q_F4geGzjh0oWs_Ydt96ljep2qvQRny60fb__lnDtySp4LIE4hBvXFbvP_VnRC5Og7J1e5bs2aVNIsg6YMaXYCRZz0d4dIRMCC5h_HfFfZsNWA9xnzjjoU162fSP6WhD

Darran said:
Monty said:
Plenty of respected white actors have played people of colour in movies (in recent years). Tihis is a non issue.

Like? 🤷🏻‍♂️

In 2007 film A Mighty Heart, Angelina Jolie plays Mariane Pearl, the wife of Daniel Pearl. Mariane is Afro-Cuban in real life.

In The Human Stain, Anthony Hopkins plays Coleman Silk, an African-American man passing for Jewish.

In A Beautiful Mind, Jennifer Connelly plays John Nash's wife Alicia, who was from El Salvador in real life.

In Argo, Ben Affleck plays CIA agent Tony Mendez, who was half Mexican in real life

Johnny Depp played Tonto in The Lone Ranger

In real life, the characters that inspired Jill (Kate Bosworth) and Ben (Sturgess) in 21 were Asian

In Stuck, Mena Suvari played Brandi Boski, who was based on Chante Jawan Mallard, an African-American woman in real life.

British actor Jim Sturgess played the Asian character Hae-Joo Chang in the film Cloud Atlas.

A lot are fictional but never mind, I’ll accept that.

The times where white people play black people needs to be equally criticised and ousted. This is 2020 not 1950. We shouldn’t use the past as a standard.

Neath_Jack said:
https://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/26-times-white-actors-played-people-of-color-and-no-one-really-gave-a-sht_n_56cf57e2e4b0bf0dab313ffc?ri18n=true&guccounter=1&guce_referrer=aHR0cHM6Ly93d3cuZ29vZ2xlLmNvbS8&guce_referrer_sig=AQAAAGLI_L4feUSAUKPrdGedZN29qBxWkG2O7UbMboGdH9t4q_F4geGzjh0oWs_Ydt96ljep2qvQRny60fb__lnDtySp4LIE4hBvXFbvP_VnRC5Og7J1e5bs2aVNIsg6YMaXYCRZz0d4dIRMCC5h_HfFfZsNWA9xnzjjoU162fSP6WhD

Real people mun. You wouldn’t have a white chap playing Nelson Mandela ffs.

MrSwerve said:

The times where white people play black people needs to be equally criticised and ousted. This is 2020 not 1950. We shouldn’t use the past as a standard.

I listed 8, 2 are fictional

Monty said:
MrSwerve said:

And 8 are bloody ridiculous, which is my point.

MrSwerve said:
Monty said:

It's only 'ridiculous' for people with prejudice and old fashioned beliefs. You're confusing it with black face, which is wrong for its own historical reasons.

Monty said:
MrSwerve said:

It's only 'ridiculous' for people with prejudice and old fashioned beliefs. You're confusing it with black face, which is wrong for its own historical reasons.

Oh for God’s sake. :roll:

The easiest thing to say in this kind of argument is scream ‘racism’ or ‘prejudice that you aren’t aware of’.

White people playing REAL black people is ridiculous.

Black people playing REAL white people is ridiculous.

Both equally bloody pathetic. I wasn’t even born when some of this happened.

Forget history. Look forward.

MrSwerve said:
Monty said:

The easiest thing to say in this kind of argument is scream ‘racism’ or ‘prejudice that you aren’t aware of’.

Both equally bloody pathetic. I wasn’t even born when a lot of this happened.

Again, 2 out of the 8 I listed were fictional. The rest, were telling the stories of real actual people.

Just for your reference - Tonto & Hae-Joo Chang are the fictional ones.

Monty said:
MrSwerve said:

Both equally bloody pathetic. I wasn’t even born when a lot of this happened.

Again, 2 out of the 8 I listed were fictional. The rest, were telling the stories of real actual people.

Thanks for reiterating your post but not actually responding.

I’m aware of who the people are, thanks.

MrSwerve said:
Monty said:

Thanks for reiterating your post but not actually responding.

Your argument is flawed and naive, but that's ok. I use the term 'people of colour' because there is not just black and white people in the world, which your post seems to allude to. Neither is ridiculous.

Coventry City v Swansea City

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Back