• ***IMPORTANT*** SOME PASSWORDS NOT WORKING

There has been some issues with user passwords. Some users may need to reset their passwords to login to the forum. Please use the password reset option when logging in. If you do experience issues and find our account is locked then please email admin@jackarmy.net Thanks

Anne Boleyn gets a tan

A black woman playing Anne Boleyn is as factually inaccurate as Elizabeth Taylor playing Cleopatra. However, times have changed since the 50s and skin colour should now be regarded as irrelevant, and since when have the creative arts been 'shackled' by the concencus opinion? I don't think it's a big deal, but can also empathise with people that think the casting is completely daft. I will look forward to watching it to see how it's done.

BrynCartwright said:
A black woman playing Anne Boleyn is as factually inaccurate as Elizabeth Taylor playing Cleopatra. However, times have changed since the 50s and skin colour should now be regarded as irrelevant, and since when have the creative arts been 'shackled' by the concencus opinion? I don't think it's a big deal, but can also empathise with people that think the casting is completely daft. I will look forward to watching it to see how it's done.

They're not claiming it to be a biopic, it is a psychological thriller. The makers are free to interpret it as they wish. Darran's fascist state isn't in charge (yet).

Monty said:
MrSwerve said:
Thanks for reiterating your post but not actually responding.

Your argument is flawed and naive, but that's ok. I use the term 'people of colour' because there is not just black and white people in the world, which your post seems to allude to. Neither is ridiculous.

An Asian playing Winston Churchill is silly. An Indian playing Boris Johnson is silly. A ginger pale Scotsman playing Kofi Annan is silly.

There’s no nativity to it. If you look at this sensibly, without bringing race into it, you’d see that all of the above are equally ridiculous.

I care about factual representations, sod the races. All of them. Imagine people in 200 years watching programmes thinking that Obama was a blonde, white Welshman.

As usual, the ones that are obsessed with races scream ‘racism’ the most. I don’t care about a single one of them more than the other...no matter what these ‘you aren’t aware of your prejudice’ types say.

It seems like only yesterday parts of the Arab world (and the woke left in the West) were in uproar when Naomi Scott was cast as Jasmine in the Aladdin remake. Her being of Indian heritage wasn't enough for her to escape death threats. How dare she not have the correct skin tone to accurately portray the princess of the fictional make-believe country of Agrabah.

"'People have a right to be upset about Naomi Scott being cast. They're upset that their representation was taken away, and rightly so,' says critic."

https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/films/news/disney-princess-jasmine-non-arab-actor-criticism-naomi-scott-a7845851.html

MrSwerve said:
Monty said:
Your argument is flawed and naive, but that's ok. I use the term 'people of colour' because there is not just black and white people in the world, which your post seems to allude to. Neither is ridiculous.

An Asian playing Winston Churchill is silly. An Indian playing Boris Johnson is silly. A ginger pale Scotsman playing Kofi Annan is silly.

There’s no nativity to it. If you look at this sensibly, without bringing race into it, you’d see that all of the above are equally ridiculous.

I care about factual representations, sod the races. All of them. Imagine people in 200 years watching programmes thinking that Obama was a blonde, white Welshman.

As usual, the ones that are obsessed with races scream ‘racism’ the most. I don’t care about a single one of them more than the other...no matter what these ‘you aren’t aware of your prejudice’ types say.

That completely ignores the use of artistic license

Anne Boleyn was a woman, who despite the harsh odds of her time rose above all beliefs of not only religion but of women and changed a nation forever. A woman who’s life said, “You will treat me as an equal.”

Comparisons can be made with the struggles of today for people of colour.

This is clearly what they're going for.

Monty said:
MrSwerve said:

Anne Boleyn was a woman, who despite the harsh odds of her time rose above all beliefs of not only religion but of women and changed a nation forever. A woman who’s life said, “You will treat me as an equal.”

If ‘artistic licence’ means skewing history then we’re all fucked. :lol:

Coming to cinemas in 2030... ‘America’s first black president’ played by Leonardo di Caprio.

Amazing.

Interesting discussion.

Widening it a bit, is it ok for a straight actor to play a gay person?

MrSwerve said:
Monty said:

Coming to cinemas in 2030... ‘America’s first black president’ played by Leonardo di Caprio.

Amazing.

If my interpretation is correct, then they have cast her in order to make a comment on the way society is today. Not just for shits & giggles.

Monty said:
MrSwerve said:

Amazing.

If my interpretation is correct, then they have cast her in order to make a comment on the way society is today. Not just for shits & giggles.

And also cracking publicity for a channel that almost no one watches relatively speaking. Job done really.

exiledclaseboy said:
Monty said:

And also cracking publicity for a channel that almost no one watches relatively speaking. Job done really.

Oh absolutely.

MrSwerve said:
Hang on, I admit that I haven't read into this at all and haven't even clicked the tweet...but is this a black person playing a historical real life white person?

I must be wrong surely.

White people play Jesus all the time, how many complaints have you written?

Itchysphincter said:
MrSwerve said:
Hang on, I admit that I haven't read into this at all and haven't even clicked the tweet...but is this a black person playing a historical real life white person?

I must be wrong surely.

There was an outcry years ago if I remember right when a black fella was cast as Jesus in a Madonna video.

Darran said:
Anyway I’ve just emailed Walt Disney with my script for Usain Bolt The Movie.
It’ll be my first acting role.

You’ve already had your own tv series.

exiledclaseboy said:
Itchysphincter said:

There was an outcry years ago if I remember right when a black fella was cast as Jesus in a Madonna video.

Don't worry Andrew you’ll be in demand when they make Stephen Bunting The Mighty Arrow. :lol:

Coventry City v Swansea City

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Back