• ***IMPORTANT*** SOME PASSWORDS NOT WORKING

There has been some issues with user passwords. Some users may need to reset their passwords to login to the forum. Please use the password reset option when logging in. If you do experience issues and find our account is locked then please email admin@jackarmy.net Thanks

EFL clubs qualifying for Europe via Welsh league cup

exactly and they have 38 league games not 46
Without bias how would we think of playing Wrexham in a one off cup final to qualify. How far would we have to go before we start making any profit. Shock knock out do happen in cups where we could actually lose money

Yeah this leaves a bad taste in my mouth. We've made our bed of playing in the English Leagues (which, let's be honest, is still a vastly superior option for us as a club), it would be uncouth to say the least if we now decided that we want to jump on a much smaller competition for the sake of being in another competition that we have no chance of winning.

Doesn't show huge support to Welsh clubs that we're planning on rocking up and stealing their place in Europe, either
This is where I am. Uncouth and probably also unlikely.

Without bias how would we think of playing Wrexham in a one off cup final to qualify. How far would we have to go before we start making any profit. Shock knock out do happen in cups where we could actually lose money
A cup final against Wrexham would probably be a good game. The problem is we would probably play our youth team in the Welsh cup comp and so no guarantee of getting to final. The big problem then comes the next season for the winners be that Cardiff, Wrexham, Swansea or Newport. The season would probably start in July and I just don't see how the games could be fitted in if reasonable progress was made and there would be an inevitable dip in league form. One benefit is it might delay Wrexham's charge up the leagues

There would be huge logistical problems. Championship midweek games are frequently scheduled during European weeks. Would the FL be happy if we were postponing games on a regular basis? How would our flimsy squad deal with the fixture pile up?

More trouble than it's worth in my opinion.

A cup final against Wrexham would probably be a good game. The problem is we would probably play our youth team in the Welsh cup comp and so no guarantee of getting to final. The big problem then comes the next season for the winners be that Cardiff, Wrexham, Swansea or Newport. The season would probably start in July and I just don't see how the games could be fitted in if reasonable progress was made and there would be an inevitable dip in league form. One benefit is it might delay Wrexham's charge up the leagues
That's the point, we would play a weakened team so as not to risk 'star' players. Where is that a benefit to Welsh clubs who already can play our U21 side.

I wonder how much we have paid for this so far?

Was it ‘uncouth’ when we used to qualify in this way back in the day? Was it uncouth to go and thoroughly enjoy playing panathinikos (despite going out) was it uncouth going to places like Merthyr and having an absolute ball?

If so, give me uncouth every week please drive.

Not sure what to make of this - surely there'll be too much opposition for this to happen.
I believe that Wales should stand toe-to toe, and have a good chance to compete fairly which sadly does not exist now, and has not for a long time. It was made clear in the last decade that neither us nor Cardiff were welcome. It was Margaret Aspinall asking for Truth & Justice after abominable abuses not the t'other 'un. Build back better with fair play and do better than before!

Premier teams struggle now with bigger squads
This is one of the reasons why it cannot work. We have neither the bodies or the space in the calendar to add one or two preliminary rounds and then six group games (assuming that we got there).

Was it ‘uncouth’ when we used to qualify in this way back in the day? Was it uncouth to go and thoroughly enjoy playing panathinikos (despite going out) was it uncouth going to places like Merthyr and having an absolute ball?

If so, give me uncouth every week please drive.
Those halcyon days of ECWC games are a long long time ago and much has changed in the structure of Welsh football since then. The onset of LoW drove a wedge between domestic football and Swansea, Cardiff, etc. that makes it difficult to close. I guess the clubs would be in favour now, there’s money on offer here.

Yeah this leaves a bad taste in my mouth. We've made our bed of playing in the English Leagues (which, let's be honest, is still a vastly superior option for us as a club), it would be uncouth to say the least if we now decided that we want to jump on a much smaller competition for the sake of being in another competition that we have no chance of winning.

Doesn't show huge support to Welsh clubs that we're planning on rocking up and stealing their place in Europe, either
We are Welsh!

I think it would be great, providing the LoW clubs were in favour i.e. if it benefited them and it wasn't us forcing ourselves in there and generating bad blood. I think the argument is that EFL clubs would get further in Ewrop and raise the coefficient of Wales and therefore lead to more money throughout the welsh club system? Might be total horseshit.

The biggest problem I see is potential fixture congestion.

Could give us a good recruitment advantage over other clubs in the Championship as well.

We're a member of the FA of Wales; it's not a crazy idea for us to play in one of their competitions.
And also a member of the EFL.

I’m not suggesting that it’s a crazy idea, your points in the post above make sense. The ability to make it happen and to then deal with the inevitable impact of a Swansea/Cardiff cup win is not so easy to work out.

Swansea City v Stoke City

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Back