• ***IMPORTANT*** SOME PASSWORDS NOT WORKING

There has been some issues with user passwords. Some users may need to reset their passwords to login to the forum. Please use the password reset option when logging in. If you do experience issues and find our account is locked then please email admin@jackarmy.net Thanks

Electric vehicles

Pacemaker

Alan Waddle
Reaction score
There seems to be a real push for EV’s at the moment with lots of articles in the media and the Govt looking to ban new ICE vehicles in the near future.

A few of my friends have gone EV and now all appear totally sold on the vehicles.

I did use to do a fair bit of mileage when I commuted to my office but now I WFH with only occasional longer trips I am tempted to buy one, anyone on here been converted?

Any tips?

I work in the industry and even for me it's a little bit too early. The cost of a conventional powertrain has not yet overtaken the cost of an EV equivalent although the gap is closing quickly. Battery cell price reduction is the primary reason for the increased competitiveness but it's got a little way to go. 30% EV market share by 2030 is my prediction so even then it's not quite mainstream technology. That said there are some tremendous bargains out there that cannot be ignored if you're not fussy on choice of car / spec / colour.

Honda have said all their new vehicles will be electric or hybrid by 2022. I hope they find a way to recreate the noise of petrol engines though, a v12 dbs drove past me (walking) at low speed last week, I almost had an incident.

I drive an electric taxi, the major sticking point at the moment is battery capacity i get 115 miles off a 80% charge (optimum charge %) but that isn't a true reflextion of the milage attainable and in the winter when everything runs off the battery if you have the heating and wipers going you can knock a third off that milage. It will be sone years until it makes it a totally worthwhile option.

My wife has a VW e-Golf. I much prefer driving it to my own car (ICE), just can't beat the instant torque, it's like being hurled out of a catapult (great to use when sat next to a big redneck truck or muscle car at the lights and I just disappear up the road when it turns green). I also like the general quietness and smoothness of the drive, not to mention the lack of filling up with petrol/oil changes etc.

Another plus for electric (for me), is the different driving style it encourages, especially when there's regenerative breaking. I find myself coasting a lot where I can to preserve energy, I use breaks differently due to the regen - it's cool to see your mileage go up on a long descent. You can certainly drive it like a normal car and forget it's electric, but it's more fun when you embrace the differences; I find it a challenge to eek out as many miles as I can per KW (I'm a fun guy...)

I think we'll always have an electric car from here on in, we're moving to a new house soon and will get a L2 charger installed to speed up charging.

The e-Golf only has a range of about 90 miles (less in winter), but we never need to use it for long trips, we have the petrol car for that. It's perfect for getting around the city and burbs.

Porsche Taycan is the dream at the moment...

FearOfAJackPlanet said:

I have been involved in the Taycan development programme for the last two years, it's a truly incredible piece of engineering with some stunning design features. 0 to 100 mph in 6.0 seconds even beats Tesla Model S Performance.

Apparently the next tesla battery will drive for 8 hours

Still think tesla shares are overpriced right now though

The price suggests everybody will be driving teslas

Cooperman said:
FearOfAJackPlanet said:

I have been involved in the Taycan development programme for the last two years, it's a truly incredible piece of engineering with some stunning design features. 0 to 100 mph in 6.0 seconds even beats Tesla Model S Performance.

Looks like it's US who should be asking you for tips then :lol: :lol:

Cooperman said:
FearOfAJackPlanet said:

Best_loser said:

You can say that again.

Oh, you did :lol:

Seriously considering one when I'm next going to be in the market for a car in three or four years time. Still a little overpriced in comparison to the performance and ease of use you can get from an ICE at the moment for me to want to take the plunge.

A friend of mine took an electric car out on a test drive a few years ago around the Enterprise Zone.

He mentioned how quiet the car was, and said the biggest drawback was pedestrians stepping out in front of him because they couldn't hear the car approaching!

Cooperman said:
FearOfAJackPlanet said:

Awesome. I'm impressed by the speed from our 2016 e-golf, I can only imagine what it feels like to floor a Taycan,..or I can just watch this guy:

[media]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0vq6KEOIiMg&t=1699s[/media]

Swanjaxs said:
A friend of mine took an electric car out on a test drive a few years ago around the Enterprise Zone.

He mentioned how quiet the car was, and said the biggest drawback was pedestrians stepping out in front of him because they couldn't hear the car approaching!

I think it's a requirement for electric cars to make noise at low speeds to alert pedestrians - some kind of fake engine noise. Can't say I've noticed it too much in ours.

Coventry City v Swansea City

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Back