• ***IMPORTANT*** SOME PASSWORDS NOT WORKING

There has been some issues with user passwords. Some users may need to reset their passwords to login to the forum. Please use the password reset option when logging in. If you do experience issues and find our account is locked then please email admin@jackarmy.net Thanks

EV owners to pay road tax by 2025

Jack2jack

Alan Curtis
Reaction score
Bit of a kick in the teeth.
https://heycar.co.uk/blog/electric-car-road-tax-rates-and-ved-bands
Any rhyme or reason to the thinking on this one, as we already know VED doesn't pay for road maintenance etc, and those nasty petrol and deisel cars chuck out all sorts of nasties from the rear end.
Be interested to know the reasons behind this decision.🤔

Was always going to happen. No way would the government allow themselves to lose billions of pounds of revenue on regular fuel without doing this.

From 2030 the sale of all new petrol and diesel cars will be halted in the UK, not only is that a lot of VED money but also the expensive car tariff of £550 will be missed by the Treasury.

Therefore inevitable that that missing money has to be found somewhere. I drive an electric car and was kind of expecting this to come in at some stage.

Neath_Jack said:
Was always going to happen. No way would the government allow themselves to lose billions of pounds of revenue on regular fuel without doing this.
Your right of course, I bet a lot of folk didnt see it coming, and will be pretty pissed of that their zero emission vehicle is now going to be taxed. More lies from the government. EVs the next big con, just my opinion btw.

Jack2jack said:
Your right of course, I bet a lot of folk didnt see it coming, and will be pretty pissed of that their zero emission vehicle is now going to be taxed. More lies from the government. EVs the next big con, just my opinion btw.

EV's are a massive white elephant in my opinion. Certainly at the moment anyway.

Neath_Jack said:
EV's are a massive white elephant in my opinion. Certainly at the moment anyway.

I agree, but they do seem to be improving, electric sport car on Top Gear a fortnight ago was awesome all 3 million quid of it 😂😂😂

Pacemaker said:
From 2030 the sale of all new petrol and diesel cars will be halted in the UK

I’ll bet you all the money I have against all the money that you have that won’t happen.

I suppose like all hi tech goods, they will get better and cheaper as the years go by. There's no way I can contemplate one at the moment if we want to continue making the occasional car trip back to the UK. What's their range? 300 miles max? I'd be pulling up every four hours for a four hour charging break! It's not on.
I am thinking of installing solar panels soon though, a no brainer in Spain. I might switch to an electric car in three or four years time. It would be lovely to fill it up with free juice every day.
And as an aside, how long before cross channel ferries install charging points for electric cars to earn a bit more coin out of theiir customers?

With petrol slowly but surely coming down in price and electricity going up the cost advantages are being eroded all the time.

According to the AA the cost per mile if charging at public charging points will be more than petrol next year. Even if you charge purely at home it's going to take much longer to get your money back given the much greater outlay to buy an EV in the first place.

J_B said:
With petrol slowly but surely coming down in price and electricity going up the cost advantages are being eroded all the time.

According to the AA the cost per mile if charging at public charging points will be more than petrol next year. Even if you charge purely at home it's going to take much longer to get your money back given the much greater outlay to buy an EV in the first place.
There was a guy on the radio the other day saying its double the cost to charge his EV up now, about £18 quid, for what 2oo miles tops, depending on usage. The other point is that VAT on domestic electricity is what 5%, if you charge it in town or Tesco's you'll be charged 20% VAT.

Neath_Jack said:

100% on the money there. The economics are a nonsense. 50% more expensive to buy than a non-ev variant, batteries degrade after few years, no resale value as replacemnet batteries are so expensive, no net environmental benefit due to cobalt extraction and battery disposal.

Hugely beneficial in terms of clean air, so must be persevered with and improved, but the hype around these shitboxes at the moment in their current form is ridiculous. Save the planet my arse. Want to be green? Keep your current car longer so a replacement does not need to be manufactured. In the meantime, wait for R&D and other alternatives to try and catch up with political posturing and virtue signalling.

Tesla fanboys incoming. Shame Electric Jesus is pretty tied up wrecking tw@ter now, having developed 'self drive' cars that should be called 'self kill' they are so shonky.

monmouth said:
100% on the money there. The economics are a nonsense. 50% more expensive to buy than a non-ev variant, batteries degrade after few years, no resale value as replacemnet batteries are so expensive, no net environmental benefit due to cobalt extraction and battery disposal.

Hugely beneficial in terms of clean air, so must be persevered with and improved, but the hype around these shitboxes at the moment in their current form is ridiculous. Save the planet my arse. Want to be green? Keep your current car longer so a replacement does not need to be manufactured. In the meantime, wait for R&D and other alternatives to try and catch up with political posturing and virtue signalling.

Tesla fanboys incoming. Shame Electric Jesus is pretty tied up wrecking tw@ter now, having developed 'self drive' cars that should be called 'self kill' they are so shonky.
Couldnt agree more. If all the components and all the manufacturing processes were produced/powered using fairy dust and butterfly farts, I could see the green benefits, I'm just not convinced at all.

I would never go back to ICE vehicles, I wake up every day with a full “tank of fuel” i have saved a fortune on fuel compared to my petrol bill prior to going electric.

I have solar panels and a battery in my garage, i charge my car first then store the remaining power to run my house, I have not yet used a paid for charger, i recently spent a few days in the Cotswolds, i chose a hotel with EV charging, i charged my car for free every night, travelled around the area the following day for free then charged up again for the next days travelling. I drove over to Blenheim Palace then back home to Baglan on a free charge from the hotel.

As ECB has said i think it very unlikely that any Govt will actually stop the sale of ICE vehicles in 2030 but by then the fuel cost might be prohibitive for most people anyway.

I can also see the govt taking away the company car tax benefits of using an electric car versus a petrol or diesel.

I’ve got a diesel PHEV hybrid which is costs £300 per month in company car tax compared to about £1000 per month for the diesel only or petrol only equivalent.

Blackburn Rovers v Swansea City

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Back