• ***IMPORTANT*** SOME PASSWORDS NOT WORKING

There has been some issues with user passwords. Some users may need to reset their passwords to login to the forum. Please use the password reset option when logging in. If you do experience issues and find our account is locked then please email admin@jackarmy.net Thanks

Formula 1 decider

BrynCartwright said:
When all debris is clear, and it's safe to race again, then drivers should be made to pull back to something resembling the spaces beforehand, ESPECIALLY if someone has new tyres and has regained track position because of track control giving them it. I am fcking livid 😡
I agree. Bet Hamilton is more upset than you mind Bryn. TBF he handled it with class. 👍

There's no perfect answer to this, various solutions have been tried in motorsport.
Safety cars are a relatively recent introduction to F1 but were only brought in to reduce the use of red flags & because drivers weren't respecting the yellow flags & putting marshals at risk.

Right that’s me done with cars. I’m off to continue this weekend of sporting drama with the NFL late game.

Cooperman said:
Right that’s me done with cars. I’m off to continue this weekend of sporting drama with the NFL late game.
🏎🏁👋👍

Neath_Jack said:
JackSomething said:
For a casual follower of F1 who only watched today because the race was on Channel 4, that was baffling.

Hard to understand how Hamilton didn't have to give the place back to Verstappen when he went off track, although I've heard commentators saying they were applying the same interpretation of the rules that Verstappen benefited from in Brazil?

But then at the end, wtf was that? Hamilton can't pit because he would be behind Verstappen and passing him before the end would have been difficult, but he maintains his lead even on old tyres. Then somebody well down the field crashes, the race directors decide last minute to let the lapped cars through, but only the ones between Hamilton and Verstappen rather than all of them (because then the race would have ended under safety car), making it pretty easy for Verstappen to pass on his fresh soft tyres.

What a s**t sport if you can do everything right and be leading comfortably only for someone else's mistake to lose you the race. I imagine Mercedes will appeal and like the pretty shitty sport F1 is, the championship will actually be decided off the race track.

My feelings as well pretty much, and a perfect example of why it's a daft "sport".

Losing time/position due to a safety car is all part of the sport. It’s factored in to the strategies that they come up with.

As lucky as it was for Redbull yesterday, they played a blinder pitting for softer tyres just in case there was a SC. It wasn’t all down to luck in that respect.

As for F1 being a daft sport...the competition is immense and I’d wager that every driver on the grid is fitter than most professional footballers.

I find it amazing that the ones who criticise the sport the most are the ones who never watch any races. It’s been brilliant this year.

Michael Masi will be under massive pressure - he’s had a lot of criticism since he took over from the late Charlie Whiting.

I was quite surprised that no red flag was thrown given the number of laps left. There was a similar situation in Baku. Quite a lot of inconsistencies this season.

MrSwerve said:
Neath_Jack said:
My feelings as well pretty much, and a perfect example of why it's a daft "sport".

As lucky as it was for Redbull yesterday, they played a blinder pitting for softer tyres just in case there was a SC. It wasn’t all down to luck in that respect.

They didn’t pit for tyres just in case of SC, they pitted under safety car conditions.

Cooperman said:
MrSwerve said:

They didn’t pit for tyres just in case of SC, they pitted under safety car conditions.

Ah yes, I was a couple of beers deep by then :lol:

MrSwerve said:
Neath_Jack said:

Losing time/position due to a safety car is all part of the sport. It’s factored in to the strategies that they come up with.

As for F1 being a daft sport...the competition is immense and I’d wager that every driver on the grid is fitter than most professional footballers.

I find it amazing that the ones who criticise the sport the most are the ones who never watch any races. It’s been brilliant this year.

I tell you what makes it a daft sport, having two articles in the rules that directly contradict each other. Mercedes can take this all the way to CAS if they want, but given how badly written the rules are, they've got no chance of overturning the result.

It will put a asterisk against Verstappen's title though, which is a shame even if he did get very lucky yesterday.

Horner says live on air that they need a miracle and a few minutes later they get one, amazing race to watch, incredible bad luck for Mercedes and good luck for redbull, that's how a lot of sporting outcomes are decided, by luck

Mercedes need to move on now, no doubt they will improve the car again and next season will be one boring procession after another , this season was exciting

MrSwerve said:
Michael Masi will be under massive pressure - he’s had a lot of criticism since he took over from the late Charlie Whiting.

I was quite surprised that no red flag was thrown given the number of laps left. There was a similar situation in Baku. Quite a lot of inconsistencies this season.
The Sky commentators reckoned that before the race Masi had already confirmed that they wouldn't have a red flag if a car went off there. Looks like he boxed himself into a corner there.
Agreed about the inconsistencies.
It's given those who are only casual watchers of the sport a reason to criticise - which is a shame.
Either would have been worthy champions

Coventry City v Swansea City

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Back