• ***IMPORTANT*** SOME PASSWORDS NOT WORKING

There has been some issues with user passwords. Some users may need to reset their passwords to login to the forum. Please use the password reset option when logging in. If you do experience issues and find our account is locked then please email admin@jackarmy.net Thanks

Formula 1 decider

Decision wont be overturned. A tainted win.

Puts me off watching a sport where rules can be adjusted mid race for entertainment purposes.

What's the point. Absolutely ridiculous.

Absolutely farcical. Fia have been clueless all year and a number of incidents have had everyone scratching their head. Any other race that ends under a safety car

PSumbler said:
Libertarian said:
I don’t think that decision would have been made if the entire championship and driver race positions had been different.
Mercedes now quite rightly protesting the result

Any appeal will fail

I agree. A protest won’t change the race result. It will bring clarity to the rules so it shouldn’t happen again though.
The decision was made and Red Bull got a huge advantage from it. They can’t really penalise Red Bull as they didn’t do anything wrong in this case. (Could they call a race result at the end of a previous lap?)
The stewards are basically being asked to look at their own decision making, which decided the race and championship outcome.

Masi has had a mare again.
The decision to let the lapped cars past was the correct one but why they waited until half way around the lap & then let only the first few through I've no idea.
If they'd made the decision a minute earlier then there'd be no issue.
A car with a Mercedes customer engine crashes & costs Lewis the championship - mad.

Swanluke said:
Absolutely farcical. Fia have been clueless all year and a number of incidents have had everyone scratching their head. Any other race that ends under a safety car

If they wanted an exciting finish rather than under safety car then they could have red-flagged it straight after Latifi crashed. Then we would have had a fair and exciting finish.

Not a conspiracy theorist, but not hard to imagine Masi being under immense pressure from above during those safety car laps to find a way to let them race before the end. If I was a betting man, I'd guess the result will stand and Masi will be made the escaped goat (with a nice golden handshake from F1 to smooth his exit).

If they'd red flagged it we'd have had a standing start & Mercedes & Wolff would have been whinging & complaining.

Manselton Jack said:
If they'd red flagged it we'd have had a standing start & Mercedes & Wolff would have been whinging & complaining.

Oh absolutely they would have, but at least both cars could have pitted and it would have been better than what we ended up with.

Short of cars returning to exactly where they were before the safety car, which I'm guessing is practically impossible, it's hard to see a fair way to handle race stoppages.

Manselton Jack said:

Think possibly it would of been fairer decision as lewis would of been able to put the soft tyres on. I'm still baffled at what happened

Manselton Jack said:

If it was a red flag, everyone into the pits and they can all change their tyres -then they can do a rolling/standing start and have 5 racing laps. Plus DRS would be enabled, which is not allowed in a 1 racing lap.

Whatever the result of the appeals, the race, championship and F1 are tainted.

Formula One briefly became exciting for a few minutes. A bit more of that sort of thing and I might start watching it again.

TheLoneRanger said:
Manselton Jack said:

If it was a red flag, everyone into the pits and they can all change their tyres -then they can do a rolling/standing start and have 5 racing laps. Plus DRS would be enabled, which is not allowed in a 1 racing lap.

Whatever the result of the appeals, the race, championship and F1 are tainted.

And a standing start is more of a lottery than a rolling one so there's no way Mercedes would have been happy with that.
They made the correct call apart from not letting the other cars (3 I think) unlap themselves.
I'd like to hear Masi's explanation for the delay in getting it done & the change in procedure.
Wouldn't have happened under Charlie Whiting

JackSomething said:
Manselton Jack said:

Oh absolutely they would have, but at least both cars could have pitted and it would have been better than what we ended up with.

Short of cars returning to exactly where they were before the safety car, which I'm guessing is practically impossible, it's hard to see a fair way to handle race stoppages.
They have a procedure which everyone is clear on, for some strange reason they didn't follow it.
More safety cars were inevitable after the Jules Bianchi incident unfortunately

Coventry City v Swansea City

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Back