• ***IMPORTANT*** SOME PASSWORDS NOT WORKING

There has been some issues with user passwords. Some users may need to reset their passwords to login to the forum. Please use the password reset option when logging in. If you do experience issues and find our account is locked then please email admin@jackarmy.net Thanks

From a very good Premier League side to midtable Championship in the blink of an eye…

• Thread starter Roger
  • Start date
  • Replies: Replies 22
  • Views: Views 1,698
Nocountryforoldjack said:
Could be worse, could be a scunthorpe fan, sometimes it's healthy to be grateful for what we've got.

I recall Scunthorpe beating us at home in the play offs with Watkins missing a chance to score at the end. Scuntorpe had a silky central midfielder and deserved to win. For years this was our level. We have some really good players in this squad now and no more Bob Bradley.

The roots of our decline started about two years before the current incumbents took over the club.

They bought it because they believed the myth that Jenkins was capable of running a Premier League club in the long term. Had he been as good as they thought we could have survived in the PL for several more years before being sold on at a profit. That's what these funds do.

Unfortunately they realised far too late that he'd basically topped out in the Championship and had been blagging it off the back of a series of admittedly inspired managerial selections for years. Once Laudrup was gotten rid of and Monk began his work it was only going to end one way. To make things worse we pissed away tens of millions of pounds in the process, leaving us in a weakened state and unable to use parachute payments to yo-yo back up.

Hence the current Project Restart.

Blimey, some proper dramatics going on here.

We all want to win and be the best, but this is our level. Anyone thinks any different is being a bit silly.

The premier league chews up and spits out far bigger and more resourceful clubs than us. It is a killer of a league. Maybe we could have stayed in it another year or two, but it would have spat us out sooner or later.

As someone else said in this thread, getting to this division was an absolute fantasy for most of my supporting years.

Neath_Jack said:

We all want to win and be the best, but this is our level. Anyone thinks any different is being a bit silly.

The premier league chews up and spits out far bigger and more resourceful clubs than us. It is a killer of a league. Maybe we could have stayed in it another year or two, but it would have spat us out sooner or later.

As someone else said in this thread, getting to this division was an absolute fantasy for most of my supporting years.

What we need to remember here is there is a huge percentage of our fans that have known nothing other than championship/PL . And without sounding like an entitled bunch,they have every reason to question why we shouldn't we be challenging and up there with the elite ?
Yes , you/I remember the dark days etc, but having lived through the Tosh years, I also thought well we've been there, why cant we do it again?. Settling for a 'lower' level never ends well.

sainthelens said:
Neath_Jack said:

What we need to remember here is there is a huge percentage of our fans that have known nothing other than championship/PL . And without sounding like an entitled bunch,they have every reason to question why we shouldn't we be challenging and up there with the elite ?
Yes , you/I remember the dark days etc, but having lived through the Tosh years, I also thought well we've been there, why cant we do it again?. Settling for a 'lower' level never ends well.

Agreed that the newer fans have only seen “success” or at least us being a damn good side. But the fact remains that we are at our level now, we can all dream about getting to the big league again but the reality is we may not do it for another 20 years. There are massive clubs in lower divisions than us, who feel that they should be there too. I’m just thankful that the owners have steered as in such a manner that we still have a league club to support.

Neath_Jack said:
sainthelens said:

Agreed that the newer fans have only seen “success” or at least us being a damn good side. But the fact remains that we are at our level now, we can all dream about getting to the big league again but the reality is we may not do it for another 20 years. There are massive clubs in lower divisions than us, who feel that they should be there too. I’m just thankful that the owners have steered as in such a manner that we still have a league club to support.

Being a so called massive club counts for nothing these days. Us, Muff, Fulham, Brentford are testament to the fact that thers no boundaries. We arnt far off again, and next year...if we get it right will see us challenging I'm sure. Not a fan of settling for and thinking wer lucky to be where we are.

sainthelens said:
Neath_Jack said:

Being a so called massive club counts for nothing these days. Us, Muff, Fulham, Brentford are testament to the fact that thers no boundaries. We arnt far off again, and next year...if we get it right will see us challenging I'm sure. Not a fan of settling for and thinking wer lucky to be where we are.

Indeed, there is a lot of chatter amongst journos and football bloggers that we could be a force next season depending on who we keep and some investment to add some, over to you Americanos

Baron Goblet said:
Nocountryforoldjack said:
Could be worse, could be a scunthorpe fan, sometimes it's healthy to be grateful for what we've got.

I recall Scunthorpe beating us at home in the play offs with Watkins missing a chance to score at the end. Scuntorpe had a silky central midfielder and deserved to win. For years this was our level. We have some really good players in this squad now and no more Bob Bradley.

We beat Scunthorpe at home 1-0 in the playoffs - losing 3-1 away.

Coventry City v Swansea City

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Back