• ***IMPORTANT*** SOME PASSWORDS NOT WORKING

There has been some issues with user passwords. Some users may need to reset their passwords to login to the forum. Please use the password reset option when logging in. If you do experience issues and find our account is locked then please email admin@jackarmy.net Thanks

General Election ...

There are proportional systems out there that maintain that sort of constituency link. STV is one. They’re not perfect but no system is. But any of the PR methods are better than what we have now.

And to those who are taking glee in pointing out that Labour won but with a low vote share, well duh. This was a get the tories out election. People all over the country voted that way, whether it was Labour, LibDems or Reform. They voted to dump the corrupt, venal scum who have devastated this country for 15 years. Again. And reform did a brilliant job of splitting the bigot vote but that was part of their plan too. The LibDems ran a brilliantly targeted campaign to increase their number of seats massively, which they did, without worrying about vote share. Labour did the same to a lesser extent. Reform weren’t bright enough to do something so sophisticated but that’s no surprise either.

And now the grown ups are in charge again. Lovely isn’t it.
But that’s what I said last night! From what I saw of the results, labour won a good few due to votes being split between tories and reform. I’m not here to argue at all, but I think that was a valid post, I would say I was more or less stating the obvious, but I still had disagreement simply because I said it. It’s done now, but come on the results I saw reform were very close to labour and a quick calculation of adding conservative and reform = labour lose that seat, not every case granted.

But that’s what I said last night! From what I saw of the results, labour won a good few due to votes being split between tories and reform. I’m not here to argue at all, but I think that was a valid post, I would say I was more or less stating the obvious, but I still had disagreement simply because I said it. It’s done now, but come on the results I saw reform were very close to labour and a quick calculation of adding conservative and reform = labour lose that seat, not every case granted.
Some who voted Reform Ltd might have voted Labour though, definitely in Wales, just look at Llanelli - Labour through and through yet only just scraped home against Reform Ltd. Are you gonna tell me that all those Reform Ltd voters would normally vote Tory? Go on, tell me that ….

Have you started ignoring me yet BTW?

My point was that it was a deliberate tactic. Apart from dyed in the wool Tory voters very many people voted for whoever was best placed to beat the Tory in that particular constituency knowing full well that a labour government was inevitable anyway. They just wanted the tories out and who can blame them. Reform will be delighted with a labour government.

This is great stuff. In what world would the following results be deemed 'very close'?

Total seats - 412 v 5
Total votes - 9,704,655 v 4,117,221
Vote share - 33.7% v 14.3%

ECB has already dealt with the last part so I can ignore that.

I know it's been a tough week for you and you're grasping at straws but this is getting silly.

This is great stuff. In what world would the following results be deemed 'very close'?

Total seats - 412 v 5
Total votes - 9,704,655 v 4,117,221
Vote share - 33.7% v 14.3%

ECB has already dealt with the last part so I can ignore that.

I know it's been a tough week for you and you're grasping at straws but this is getting silly.
But that wasn’t the point I was making! What would that data look like if you added the tories to the reform stats? From what I saw some seats were pretty close.

But that wasn’t the point I was making! What would that data look like if you added the tories to the reform stats? From what I saw some seats were pretty close.
Why would you add the Conservative and Reform votes?

There has been numerous polls asking Reform voters who they would have voted for if they hadn’t voted Reform.
31% said Conservative.
In Wales in particular, as many would have voted Labour as Conservative.

Loads of Labour voters in the south of England voted Lib Dem in a tactical vote to get rid of the Conservatives. It was extremely effective.

Some who voted Reform Ltd might have voted Labour though, definitely in Wales, just look at Llanelli - Labour through and through yet only just scraped home against Reform Ltd. Are you gonna tell me that all those Reform Ltd voters would normally vote Tory? Go on, tell me that ….

Have you started ignoring me yet
My point was that it was a deliberate tactic. Apart from dyed in the wool Tory voters very many people voted for whoever was best placed to beat the Tory in that particular constituency knowing full well that a labour government was inevitable anyway. They just wanted the tories out and who can blame them. Reform will be delighted with a labour government.
Why would you add the Conservative and Reform votes?

There has been numerous polls asking Reform voters who they would have voted for if they hadn’t voted Reform.
31% said Conservative.
In Wales in particular, as many would have voted Labour as Conservative.

Loads of Labour voters in the south of England voted Lib Dem in a tactical vote to get rid of the Conservatives. It was extremely effective.
Well why wouldn’t I add them to get across my point? I can only speak from what I have seen, I’ll have to look into the real figures for this, but when I saw a few results coming in from the Sunderland area I think, now that was a bit close for tactical voting.

Correct me if I’m wrong here, but afterwards I saw a good few results where reform came a pretty close second.

So if you add up the 31% on voters who would have voted conservative instead of reform, that would have been a conservative win.

Don’t take that as a nod praising the tories, it’s just my opinion that for Labour it wasn’t such a resounding win, as maybe it should have been after the tories failure, it was more of a get the tories out vote, not a vote in favour of labour.

Well why wouldn’t I add them to get across my point? I can only speak from what I have seen, I’ll have to look into the real figures for this, but when I saw a few results coming in from the Sunderland area I think, now that was a bit close for tactical voting.

Correct me if I’m wrong here, but afterwards I saw a good few results where reform came a pretty close second.

So if you add up the 31% on voters who would have voted conservative instead of reform, that would have been a conservative win.

Don’t take that as a nod praising the tories, it’s just my opinion that for Labour it wasn’t such a resounding win, as maybe it should have been after the tories failure, it was more of a get the tories out vote, not a vote in favour of labour.
Seems a bit strange to me that it feels like a dawning realisation on some people that GE voting is tactical. I’m struggling to think of a time where my vote wasn’t tactical. One time it got me something that I really didn’t want, something truly horrific, but them’s the risks you take.

Last edited:
Seems a bit strange to me that it feels like a dawning realisation on some people that GE voting is tactical. I’m struggling to think of a time where my vote wasn’t tactical. One time it got me something that I really didn’t want, something truly horrific, but them’s the risks you take.
I wonder if your tactical voting experiences are the same as mine? I live in the Wells and Mendip Hills constituency which had been Tory for decades and the sitting MP was a total twat called David Heathcoat-Amory but in 2010 there was a chance to oust him as the Lib Dem candidate was a popular local girl called Tessa Munt. I voted for her tactically and she scraped a win by only 800 votes but I was tamping when the Lib Dems, led by Clegg, got into bed with Cameron's Tories to form the coalition. I was particularly upset by this as the Labour candidate was a friend of mine that I played cricket with. Anyway, fast forward to this election, Tessa Munt was the Lib Dem candidate once again and I grudgingly voted for her again and this time she won with a massive 11,000 majority but the events of 2010 still irk me whenever an election comes around.

I wonder if your tactical voting experiences are the same as mine? I live in the Wells and Mendip Hills constituency which had been Tory for decades and the sitting MP was a total twat called David Heathcoat-Amory but in 2010 there was a chance to oust him as the Lib Dem candidate was a popular local girl called Tessa Munt. I voted for her tactically and she scraped a win by only 800 votes but I was tamping when the Lib Dems, led by Clegg, got into bed with Cameron's Tories to form the coalition. I was particularly upset by this as the Labour candidate was a friend of mine that I played cricket with. Anyway, fast forward to this election, Tessa Munt was the Lib Dem candidate once again and I grudgingly voted for her again and this time she won with a massive 11,000 majority but the events of 2010 still irk me whenever an election comes around.
Similar. My candidate didn’t get in but enough people voted like us to give the Lib Dem’s the power to swing it. I said after that that I could never vote for them again after what they did, but my attitude has softened a bit. I thought they would be wiped out after the last GE with that awfully obnoxious woman saying that if she was elected she would be reverse Brexit immediately but the new bloke has done well. There’s nothing I’d like more than to be in the EU but you can’t go around doing things like that.

Looking back it was silly but there was anger against Gordon Brown, and that was misguided. He was too closely associated with the fall in popularity of Blair and hankered power, but as I saw it he didn’t have a mandate. He should have gone to the polls much sooner and then maybe we could have at least partly avoided the calamitous last fifteen years.

He was probably exactly what we needed at the time and if not for him the financial crash and credit crunch would have been a lot more severe as he pretty much guided the rest of the world in damage limitation.

Coventry City v Swansea City

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Back