• ***IMPORTANT*** SOME PASSWORDS NOT WORKING

There has been some issues with user passwords. Some users may need to reset their passwords to login to the forum. Please use the password reset option when logging in. If you do experience issues and find our account is locked then please email admin@jackarmy.net Thanks

Goodbye letter from Matthew Collins. YJB

First time in my life I've entered a draw to win a signed shirt. Couldn't stop myself.

Catch up with Matt's update. He's now reached £100k so hopefully he can get the first phase of his treatment done. Keep sharing everyone!

Darran said:
What’s the latest news troops?

Today
by Matthew Collins, Organiser
Hi all,

I’ve made an embarrassing administrative error (it’s not actually my error — it’s the GoFundMe app) and sent you all a message to Katie, one of my best friend’s little sister. So apologies for that. Another thing I hadn’t realised when I’d set up the page is that there’s a minimum donation on GoFundMe — I just wanted to put that out there that it’s a GoFundMe stipulation that I hadn’t factored in when I had a mad panic to set up the page. I had a race with the clock to find £250k, and it wasn’t me insisting on being given a minimum donation...I really am grateful for every penny contributed!

I thought, seeing as I’d inadvertently emailed you all anyway, to give a brief update. I turned 36 on Friday. I’m well aware that it could be my last birthday…however, I spoke to Professor Ashkan (DcVax guy) on Thursday, and he said, based on the data he has, and my tumour type, he’d expect my life to be extended by 9 months on DcVax-L, which in itself is massive for someone with glioblastoma. However, it could, based on my reasonable level of fitness and young(ish) age prior to my diagnosis, potentially offer me even more time! So I could have another Colin the Caterpillar cake yet. If it's your birthday, you get the face. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise!

Lots of love, and thank you all so much for your donations. I still can’t quite believe the sum of money that’s been donated to me. I know there’s still a long way to go, but you’ve all given me hope. Thank you. xxx

Neath_Jack said:
Today
by Matthew Collins, Organiser
Hi all,

I’ve made an embarrassing administrative error (it’s not actually my error — it’s the GoFundMe app) and sent you all a message to Katie, one of my best friend’s little sister. So apologies for that. Another thing I hadn’t realised when I’d set up the page is that there’s a minimum donation on GoFundMe — I just wanted to put that out there that it’s a GoFundMe stipulation that I hadn’t factored in when I had a mad panic to set up the page. I had a race with the clock to find £250k, and it wasn’t me insisting on being given a minimum donation...I really am grateful for every penny contributed!

I thought, seeing as I’d inadvertently emailed you all anyway, to give a brief update. I turned 36 on Friday. I’m well aware that it could be my last birthday…however, I spoke to Professor Ashkan (DcVax guy) on Thursday, and he said, based on the data he has, and my tumour type, he’d expect my life to be extended by 9 months on DcVax-L, which in itself is massive for someone with glioblastoma. However, it could, based on my reasonable level of fitness and young(ish) age prior to my diagnosis, potentially offer me even more time! So I could have another Colin the Caterpillar cake yet. If it's your birthday, you get the face. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise!

Lots of love, and thank you all so much for your donations. I still can’t quite believe the sum of money that’s been donated to me. I know there’s still a long way to go, but you’ve all given me hope. Thank you. xxx

🙏🏻🙏🏻🙏🏻

3 days to go for this draw, come on guys help a fellow Jack. 👍

Today’s update….

Thank you so much to everyone who has donated to me since my last update. I've now finished radiotherapy treatment and despite being incredibly tired, I am looking forward to going up to London on Wednesday to start the process of getting the vaccine developed.

Here is a copy of an update I've posted on my blog following my treatment finishing:

Cancer is indiscriminate, it affects old and young, rich and poor, 1 in 2. There are — obviously — others, but the only other younger people I saw in Velindre were the team of radiologists; some of the nicest, kindest people I've met.

On my first day of treatment, I sat in the waiting room of LA4 at Velindre and overheard two old ladies who thought they were chatting quietly: "He can't be 40! Do you think it's something he's eaten? What they've put in our food?" Undoubtedly. Probably the water too. The air I breathed at Birmingham New Street station. I’ve spent a lot of time going over every move I’ve made, wondering if it’s contributed.

Whilst I’m chuffed that I look under 40 to my grandparents’ generation (it's the puffiness I've got from the ‘roids, ironing out my creases), I was slightly resentful that they got to sit there and chat about me, 50+ years my senior. Is that OK? I don't know. But it's how I feel, so. I know it's crap to see out your days in poor health, but I'd give anything to have that opportunity. I feel the same way about my Gransh. He doesn’t know I’m ill, we decided not to tell him so he doesn’t stress. He’s already miserable in his old age, and despite having reasonable(ish) health and daily visits from my Dad, he’s very much sat in heaven’s waiting room, watching Last of the Summer Wine reruns and doing his daily drudge to the Co-op in Penrhiwceiber for milk. I’m like: ‘Come on, man! Book a cruise with Jane McDonald or check yourself into the real Marigold Hotel’. Despite my fanboying the Manics, I don't wanna stay a terminal young thing.

Friday (15 December) was my last round of the ‘first round’ of treatment. One of the things you do when you’ve finished treatment at Velindre is to ring this bell (above). It’s been a bittersweet experience, sat in the waiting room I’ve listened to the cheers and celebrations of patients and their families as they rang the bell, which signifies that they can move on with their lives. I’m happy for those who’ve made it through this awful disease and the painstaking treatment but I know that the bell won’t ever toll for me, so it’s been a tough listen at times.

I should chime in, however, to say that I am going into the new year with hope. Hope that has been afforded to me by the generosity and kindness of Elis James, my family and friends (and their families and friends), colleagues and former colleagues, fellow Distant Pod and Elis & John Show listeners, Green Man music festival, the FAW and total strangers(!!). It is thanks to you all that on Wednesday next week I’m going to King’s College Hospital to meet Professor Ashkan, who’ll be performing some pre-vaccine checks with me. Then, in the new year (January 8th), I’ll be having leukapheresis; a half-day procedure where they withdraw my white blood cells and train them in a lab to attack my cancer. “Give them a volley!” That’s from LOTR, isn’t it? I don’t know why it’s popped into my head, but I had visions of my white blood cells in the form of Gandalf the White.

Like Gandalf’s arrival at Helm’s Deep, I wouldn't be in this (favourable?) position without everyone's support, and I'm forever in your debt. As I said in my last update, I'll continue, for as long as I'm able (I'm aware that each day my brain is slowly dying and my biggest fear is losing who I am before I lose my life), to raise awareness and campaign for the vaccine to be made available to everyone on the NHS. It's the least I can do, to use my small platform to try and make the future a bit brighter for others. I’ll be gutted if I have to see another person crowdfunding for this treatment.

When I watched Rhod Gilbert ring the bell the night before I began my treatment I cried, for him and his family. Now I understand how gruelling radiotherapy is, I understand why he wept too — not just the physical side that wreaks havoc on your body, but the emotional and mental toll it takes to get out of bed each day, Monday to Friday to go for a treatment you know is both saving and killing you.

I hope for a day when everyone who goes to Velindre gets to ring the bell.

I wish you all a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.

Stay beautiful

Matt x

Hi everyone,

Thanks very much for all your support! We've got a fundraising match next Sunday (21 Jan) at Penydarren Park in Merthyr to help with my fundraising for the DcVax. Rangel is playing, as well as a few other celebs including Laura McAllister, Kelly Davies, Lowri Roberts (Head of Women’s football at the FAW) and Anita Asante, the first-team coach of Bristol City Women’s team. Anita has 71 caps for England and played for Arsenal, Chelsea and Villa as well as playing in the WPS league in the USA. We're hoping to get a few more 'names' by next weekend, and hopefully it'll be a nice day out for everyone. More info can be found on the Alternative Wales website: https://www.alternativewales.com/kick-cancers-head-in

Cheers everyone and hope 2024 is treating you well so far
Matt x

Hi guys,

Thanks for the well wishes and for making this a sticky.

One of my friends has a signed shirt from the club, which is being raffled towards my vaccine fundraiser. If you'd like to enter, tickets are £5 https://www.crowdfunder.co.uk/p/signed-swansea-city-fc-2023-home-shirt

Best wishes to you all,
Matt
I won this signed shirt and I’m happy to sell it for as much money as I can get and I’ll donate the proceeds to Matt’s fund. If anyone has any experience in doing this type of thing I’d be most grateful for advice. I have the certificate of authenticity too.
Come on guys let’s help a fellow Jack if we can.

I won this signed shirt and I’m happy to sell it for as much money as I can get and I’ll donate the proceeds to Matt’s fund. If anyone has any experience in doing this type of thing I’d be most grateful for advice. I have the certificate of authenticity too.
Come on guys let’s help a fellow Jack if we can.

Easiest way to do it is via eBay I guess? At least that way its all transparent and easy?

Your other option is to effectively sell it like a raffle ticket (say at £5 a ticket) - I think you could sell more that way but no idea how you go about it.

More than happy to do advertising on here both via the article and forum pages and the JA.net social media pages to get you as much coverage as you need

Easiest way to do it is via eBay I guess? At least that way its all transparent and easy?

Your other option is to effectively sell it like a raffle ticket (say at £5 a ticket) - I think you could sell more that way but no idea how you go about it.

More than happy to do advertising on here both via the article and forum pages and the JA.net social media pages to get you as much coverage as you need
Thanks Phil, I’ll try to sort something out and let you know about advertising it.

Todays update…

Hi everyone,

I haven’t posted in a while as the last few weeks have been particularly tough going. I think I’ve lost quite a few brain cells and I don’t seem capable of thinking clearly. I thought there was nothing to the radiotherapy until week 4, but since then it’s been bad, and I’ve been mostly in hibernation mode. I’m still exhausted now, barely seeing daylight.

For those who’ve donated to my fundraiser since my last update: thank you all so much. I’ve surpassed the halfway mark, which I thought was impossible back in October when I set up the GoFundMe page. I really, really appreciate your support. I said it before, but it is a blessing to have my eyes opened to how many lovely, kind people there are about. I hope to be able to repay it one day, somehow.

I’ve had quite a few people contact me about DcVax since my story went public. Shockingly, people are having to try and scramble together a quarter of a million quid to fund a treatment for a disease that has been neglected by the UK government.

I’ve been incredibly fortunate to have the support I’ve received: from Elis, the Socially Distant Sports Bar, the Swans, the Welsh football community at large and my friends and family. I’ve been trying to share info I’ve found with people who are in an equally desperate situation, to talk about costs and alternative treatments that aren’t on the NHS. It’s exhausting, as a person with cancer, to have to fight for and find out these things for yourself. I hope the shareholders at DcVax HQ are delighted with the free publicity they’ve got — maybe they will chuck in a few free vaccines for my friends in need? Doubtful.

I would describe the last few weeks as ‘mixed’ — lots of ups and downs.

I briefly awoke from my slumber for the ‘Kick Cancer’s Head In’ football match on 21 Jan, which was a great day and — despite losing 5-2 — being ‘not the worst manager’ Angel Rangel has ever had is an honour that will live with me forever. A huge thank you to Angel, my mates, Ryan and the Alternative Wales team for braving some of the worst conditions imaginable to help support my fundraiser! The day raised an incredible £3k, which I need to add to my GoFundMe total.

After we’d kicked cancer’s head in for 90 minutes, the following morning I was back at Velindre to start my second round of chemotherapy to kick it some more. The temozolomide dosage is double what I was on during radiotherapy, but I seemed to tolerate it reasonably well, and, in my wisdom, decided I was OK to attend an acoustic matinee performance by The Libertines at Clwb Ifor Bach last Saturday. Silly move…chemo wipes out your immune system, and in a packed Clwb I managed to pick up a chest infection that has left me bed-bound since. Lesson learned. Regardless of the cancer, I’ve realised I’ve reached an age where daytime shows and in bed by ten is right up my Cally Road.

I say the last few weeks have been ‘mixed’ because, despite being surrounded by my family and friends, getting over halfway(!!) to my fundraising target, starting oxygen therapy and trying to be proactive in scheduling consultations with various neuro-oncologists to see what additional treatment options there are available, I’ve had to formally decline the job I was offered at Barnardo’s. I was due to start the job in October and turning it down has been one of the toughest decisions I’ve had to make. It was a great opportunity and in a sector I’m really passionate about working in. It was supposed to be my ‘new start’. I’d left my previous job where I spent 9 years, and was looking forward to a new challenge. In the interim, I had a stroke and developed incurable cancer. Life!

Despite never having actually done a day’s work for them, I’ve got a really good relationship with my would-have-been boss, Shelby. I spoke to her this morning — we’re going to stay in touch and if any opportunities come up that I could get involved with then she’ll give me a shout. So that’s something. One of the things about this disease is that I don’t know if I’m going to die in six months, a year, or in 5 to 10 years (very unlikely based on the statistics). If it does transpire that I’m 10 years still kicking, I’ll be cursing myself for not taking the job, but extremely thankful to be alive still (even if totally skint). It’s a catch-22 classic. If I had a crystal ball, I don’t even know if I’d have the strength to look, so I think, for now, the best thing for me is to focus on my health and see how I go.

I’m hoping the antibiotics kick in by the weekend because this Saturday, I’ve been invited by the lovely and brilliant, Sophie Davis at Swansea City to attend the Swans v Plymouth match. I met Sophie in Rotterdam watching Wales. It’s weird how life unravels and 18 months later I found myself being interviewed by Sophie in the Swans’ home changing room about having brain cancer and trying to raise £250,000 to extend my life. The Plymouth game is Swansea’s dedicated Maggie’s Cancer Charity match, so I was talking to Sophie about how I accessed their support at Velindre, and how kind and helpful the staff are. I’m proud that the club has partnered with Maggie’s. The service they offer to cancer patients and their families at their centres is hard to believe unless you’ve experienced it first-hand. They’re so caring, compassionate and helpful during the scariest time of your life. More of this kind of thing in football, please.

The GOOD NEWS is I’ve had a date for the first jab: 14 February. Valentine’s Day. I’m going to tie in visiting King’s College Hospital with a few trips to the London Welsh Centre to watch the 6 Nations matches. I don’t tend to go to the rugby, but going to LWC for the 6 Nations has become an annual pilgrimage — and as so many of my mates are in London, it’s the perfect place to watch it. The London Welsh Centre has very kindly offered to host a raffle to support my fundraiser. There are some great prizes, including the chance to watch and dine with the Welsh rugby squad at the Vale Resort, tickets to the sold-out Green Man Music Festival and dinner at the acclaimed 2-star Ynyshir restaurant. More info on this, other prizes and how to enter in the coming days :)

Thank you again for your support.

Stay beautiful
Matt x

Coventry City v Swansea City

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Back