• ***IMPORTANT*** SOME PASSWORDS NOT WORKING

There has been some issues with user passwords. Some users may need to reset their passwords to login to the forum. Please use the password reset option when logging in. If you do experience issues and find our account is locked then please email admin@jackarmy.net Thanks

ICC Men's Cricket World Cup 2023 ...

TheLoneRanger

Ivor Allchurch
Reaction score
Provisional England World Cup Squad (XV) ...

Jos Buttler (captain), Moeen Ali, Gus Atkinson, Jonny Bairstow, Sam Curran, Liam Livingstone, Dawid Malan, Adil Rashid, Joe Root, Jason Roy, Ben Stokes, Reece Topley, David Willey, Mark Wood, Chris Woakes.

Harry Brook omitted at the expense of Ben Stokes!!

So Ben comes out of ODI retirement for one last big hurrah!

Entitlement at its very best...

Brook must be absolutely devastated.

Swanjaxs said:
So Ben comes out of ODI retirement for one last big hurrah!

Entitlement at its very best...

Brook must be absolutely devastated.

Why would you not want Ben Stokes in your ODI team if he’s available. Agree about Brook.

exiledclaseboy said:
Why would you not want Ben Stokes in your ODI team if he’s available. Agree about Brook.

Of course, every time, but to retire from ODI's, then come back for the World Cup smacks of entitlement for me, sorry but this leaves a bad taste.

As batsmen go, Brook would edge out Stokes anyway, and very doubtful if Stokes will be able to bowl at the same intensity, if at all at the WC.

Swanjaxs said:
Of course, every time, but to retire from ODI's, then come back for the World Cup smacks of entitlement for me, sorry but this leaves a bad taste.

As batsmen go, Brook would edge out Stokes anyway, and very doubtful if Stokes will be able to bowl at the same intensity, if at all the WC.

As I understand it, Stokes was asked to reconsider his ODI retirement and he agreed as opposed to him deciding he changed his mind and saying “pick me please”. I take the point about Brook but I’m not sure I agree that he’d have edged Stokes out as a batter given Stokes’s experience and proven record. It’s a shame for Brook but he’s a kid he’ll have plenty more world cups. Looking at the balance of the squad they’re clearly not expecting Stokes to bowl. Last time it was David Willey who was dumped at the last minute for the newly eligible Joffra Archer. Worked out pretty well and now Wiley’s getting his deserved opportunity this time.

exiledclaseboy said:
As I understand it, Stokes was asked to reconsider his ODI retirement and he agreed as opposed to him deciding he changed his mind and saying “pick me please”. I take the point about Brook but I’m not sure I agree that he’d have edged Stokes out as a batter given Stokes’s experience and proven record. It’s a shame for Brook but he’s a kid he’ll have plenty more world cups. Looking at the balance of the squad they’re clearly not expecting Stokes to bowl. Last time it was David Willey who was dumped at the last minute for the newly eligible Joffra Archer. Worked out pretty well and now Wiley’s getting his deserved opportunity this time.

I wasn't aware that Stokes was approached by the ECB to come out of retirement for the WC, if so then you can't blame him for giving it a go, whether the ECB should have gone down that route is another matter.

Either way the spotlight will be on both Stokes and the suits as a result...

Swanjaxs said:
I wasn't aware that Stokes was approached by the ECB to come out of retirement for the WC, if so then you can't blame him for giving it a go, whether the ECB should have gone down that route is another matter.

To be honest I don’t think either party needed much persuading and as I said, why would they need to be persuaded. Aye you’re not wrong, up to Stokes to deliver otherwise the decision will be scrutinised. It’s not often he fails to deliver mind.

Swanjaxs said:

England coach Matthew Mott asked Joss Butler to have a go at talking Stokes out of retirement - and it seems to have worked.

Brook is in,Roy is out.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2023/sep/17/jason-roy-misses-out-on-englands-world-cup-squad-and-brook-called-up

Starts Thursday with a repeat of the last final, England v New Zealand. This is the thread. So where’s your money? India at home will obviously be strong favourites.

exiledclaseboy said:
Starts Thursday with a repeat of the last final, England v New Zealand. This is the thread. So where’s your money? India at home will obviously be strong favourites.

As one spectacle ends, another one starts. I’m as excited for this as I was the golf.

A mention for the format of this, gone are the complex ‘Super Six’ type second round formats. This is a straight group of ten with the top four making the semi finals, every game counts.

Hard to bet against India. Pakistan and England will likely be the competition.

Cooperman said:
As one spectacle ends, another one starts. I’m as excited for this as I was the golf.

A mention for the format of this, gone are the complex ‘Super Six’ type second round formats. This is a straight group of ten with the top four making the semi finals, every game counts.

Hard to bet against India. Pakistan and England will likely be the competition.

Same format as last time mun. :D

exiledclaseboy said:
Same format as last time mun. :D

I must have enjoyed the last one then :lol:

Will read back and see when the Super 6’s disappeared.

Cooperman said:
I must have enjoyed the last one then :lol:

Will read back and see when the Super 6’s disappeared.

I’ll save you a job, last one was 2007. It was a super eight though. :lol:

Coventry City v Swansea City

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Back