• ***IMPORTANT*** SOME PASSWORDS NOT WORKING

There has been some issues with user passwords. Some users may need to reset their passwords to login to the forum. Please use the password reset option when logging in. If you do experience issues and find our account is locked then please email admin@jackarmy.net Thanks

Joe Allen back to Swansea? Martin hopes so but would it be right?

• Thread starter A4Jack
  • Start date
  • Replies: Replies 46
  • Views: Views 7,282

A4Jack

Staff member
Reaction score
Russell Martin has spoken positively about the possibility of signing Stoke midfielder Joe Allen on a free transfer this summer. The return of Allen has been speculated for a few weeks with the Welshman wanting to return closer to home as he comes towards the end of his career. There’s no doubt about...

Read more

The way he’s speaking about him makes it 90% likely it’s happening one way or another and the saving on Smith and Hamers wages will cover Allen coming in.

Swansea93 said:
The way he’s speaking about him makes it 90% likely it’s happening one way or another and the saving on Smith and Hamers wages will cover Allen coming in.

No doubt our Russ will word it as Allen wanted to come here as he buys into our vision.

More like wants to be closer to Pembrokeshire!

Swansea93 said:

Smith and Hamers wage savings could be redirected more wisley if that's the way we are going forward inho, but what do I know...

A4Jack said:
Swansea93 said:

No doubt our Russ will word it as Allen wanted to come here as he buys into our vision.

More like wants to be closer to Pembrokeshire!

He'll end up playing for Ammanford in 18 months time anywhoo

What's Allen done at Stoke?

Never go back.

He's too old now for us.

More important positions to strengthen.

dickythorpe said:

Never go back.

He's too old now for us.

Completely disagree with this on pretty much every level.

We’ve been crying out for strength in depth in centre midfield… when Downes has been out and we’ve been relying on Smith it’s been a disaster.

Allen is only 32 and we need a blend of youth and experience.

If you’ve seen Joey playing for Wales recently you’d have seen that he’s still an absolute phenomenal player… I’d say probably still better than both Grimes and Downes… and they would do well to learn from him.

He hasn’t done much at Stoke… but look at the style of football they play and the countless other stars who’ve gone there and not done well.

dickythorpe said:

Never go back.

He's too old now for us.

Not too old or slow to play and stand out for wales at international level.

He will play with the same intensity for his boyhood club and more importantly bring experience into the middle.

No brainer.

I share people's general disapproval with making retrospective signings and boy we've seen plenty of those down the years.

However, nothing I've seen for Wales or Stoke suggests he's over the hill, and comparisons I've seen on Twitter with re-signing Bony are absolutely laughable. He's not prime Joe Allen - the one we saw in cameos towards the end of his time at Liverpool and in Euro 2016. But to suggest he wouldn't strengthen this team is ridiculous.

It seems that we are divided about this with a mixture of feelings.

Yesterday I was in the ‘no camp’ but having had time to think I may be softening. It’s clear that we will be reshaping some of the midfield squad over the summer and Allen certainly possesses the game to match RM’s plan.

What happens with Downes will be a significant factor in all of this.

Therefore all things considered, this now comes down to money. If Allen is sensible with his wage demands then I would be somewhat positive about a return. If however he’s grabbing one last windfall that chews up large chunks of player sales then I am dead against it.

RM has said that if we get what we value Piroe at that he should be the only sale this summer unless someone else comes in for another player with an offer too good to turn down.

If that happens and we can reinvest wisely in another defender, fix our wing backs issue, get in Allen and another forward to provide competition for Obafemi then it would be a tremendously successful window in my eyes.

He can do a job for a season or two , every bit of quality they can find is going to be needed just to stay in the championship

Fireboy said:
dickythorpe said:

Never go back.

He's too old now for us.

He will play with the same intensity for his boyhood club and more importantly bring experience into the middle.

No brainer.

I hope you are right.

How are you so enthusiastic?

Let me know what you are on👍🤣🦢⚽

dickythorpe said:
Fireboy said:

No brainer.

I hope you are right.

How are you so enthusiastic?

Let me know what you are on👍🤣🦢⚽

Just good old fashioned positivity dicky 😁👍

He will care far more about the club than most of the players that finished the season yesterday.

Best_loser said:
He can do a job for a season or two , every bit of quality they can find is going to be needed just to stay in the championship
I think he's been at Stoke for far too long and has got a bit stale there. He could probably do with a change and what better than playing for your boyhood club for a bit of motivation.

Coventry City v Swansea City

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Back