• ***IMPORTANT*** SOME PASSWORDS NOT WORKING

There has been some issues with user passwords. Some users may need to reset their passwords to login to the forum. Please use the password reset option when logging in. If you do experience issues and find our account is locked then please email admin@jackarmy.net Thanks

Latibeaudiere

Skippyjack

Alan Curtis
Reaction score
Blackburn apparently, he actually turned our contract offer down, he's obviously been on the smarties :lol:

Maybe he wants to return to the North West. Very average player demanding more than he's worth.

Apparently turned down nearly 8K a week here, good luck to him, thought he’d wait for Martin at Southampton.

One of the more baffling mysteries, while one might praise him for his versatility covering a number of positions the fact is that never especially suited to wingback. He lacked pace to go past a man, trickery to beat a man, the eye for a pass to pick out a man and subsequently the confidence to create anything himself without always holding up an attack and going backwards killing the momentum of an attack.

It has to be said however that this was never Lati's fault, RM was the one who mysteriously insisted on bombing out anyone who could play that position (see Kyle Joseph) and playing Lati over any other option (see Oko Flex) even when later in the season Darling proved to be a more creative outlet.

How much this misplaced faith has impacted on his belief of his own self worth is anyone's guess but RM certainly in my opinion did him very few favours in getting his head out of the clouds.

I've read the article, it's just a puff piece, presumably placed by his agent. He's been 'offered' to Blackburn, it says. So what? He could be 'offered' to Real Madrid, PSG or Juventus, I can imagine what their response would be. The same as Blackburn's.
I'll put a tenner on him accepting our terms at the end of June and we'll be stuck with him for another two years.

bakajack said:
One of the more baffling mysteries, while one might praise him for his versatility covering a number of positions the fact is that never especially suited to wingback. He lacked pace to go past a man, trickery to beat a man, the eye for a pass to pick out a man and subsequently the confidence to create anything himself without always holding up an attack and going backwards killing the momentum of an attack.

It has to be said however that this was never Lati's fault, RM was the one who mysteriously insisted on bombing out anyone who could play that position (see Kyle Joseph) and playing Lati over any other option (see Oko Flex) even when later in the season Darling proved to be a more creative outlet.

How much this misplaced faith has impacted on his belief of his own self worth is anyone's guess but RM certainly in my opinion did him very few favours in getting his head out of the clouds.

I might be wrong but I don't think he'd ever been a wingback before RM decided to play him there.. He'd always been a central defender but in my opinion, if he was ever considered as a CD here, he'd have always been 4th choice behind Cabango, Wood and Darling anyway. Couldn't believe it when he walked back into the team after some great wingback performances by Darling in his absence.

Neath_Jack said:
Nowhere near as bad as some make out. As usual.

Agreed.

A decent CB. An adequate RB. Not a RWB in a million years, yet for some reason he's being blamed for where Martin played him. Will probably go somewhere else, be used properly, and do quite well.

Bloke always looks like he's running through treacle, played out of position agreed but genuinely think he is league 1 standard. Also arguably too short for a CB in this league?

A lot is made of his limitations as an attacking wing back but the bigger issue for me is that he's not a very good defender at this level either. Beaten very easily 1v1, gives away loads of free kicks, gets in needless scuffles and arguments, and lacks any of the dominant physicality that our other centre half options can provide (Darling's a bit soft but he's big enough to not be when he chooses).

Can see why he wanted something resembling parity with first team players, he was playing every week he was available after all. Manager adored him. But we need to find an actual solution to that right side problem (be it full or wing back) and he's never looked like it, just the best stop-gap available who will do exactly as he's told and run as hard as his little legs can carry him.

jasper_T said:
A lot is made of his limitations as an attacking wing back but the bigger issue for me is that he's not a very good defender at this level either. Beaten very easily 1v1, gives away loads of free kicks, gets in needless scuffles and arguments, and lacks any of the dominant physicality that our other centre half options can provide (Darling's a bit soft but he's big enough to not be when he chooses).

Can see why he wanted something resembling parity with first team players, he was playing every week he was available after all. Manager adored him. But we need to find an actual solution to that right side problem (be it full or wing back) and he's never looked like it, just the best stop-gap available who will do exactly as he's told and run as hard as his little legs can carry him.

Darling was played in that position for a few games when Lati was injured and I thought he did very well. Based on those performances, I wouldn't be at all disappointed to see Darling make that position his own for the coming season but we would still need decent backup at the very least.

karnataka said:
Darling was played in that position for a few games when Lati was injured and I thought he did very well. Based on those performances, I wouldn't be at all disappointed to see Darling make that position his own for the coming season but we would still need decent backup at the very least.

tbh, I would be fuming if we didn't actually sign a RB/RWB for the second season in a row and had to play a CB out of position there again. Can you imagine how much more of a threat we would have been last season with an actual RB/RWB like Laird. Lati got a nose bleed every time he was past the halfway line or had to go one on one with anybody (again not his fault but club should have addressed this windows ago)

Always looked for the through ball...which rarely arrived, plus hardly ever saw him beat an opponent for pace. Bothered if he goes?? Hardly.

Coventry City v Swansea City

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Back