• ***IMPORTANT*** SOME PASSWORDS NOT WORKING

There has been some issues with user passwords. Some users may need to reset their passwords to login to the forum. Please use the password reset option when logging in. If you do experience issues and find our account is locked then please email admin@jackarmy.net Thanks

Lohengrin request... The Chindits

BrynCartwright

Mel Nurse
Reaction score
After watching Ray Mears and Ewan Mcgregor fighting through Honduran rainforest on BBC4 tonight I wonder if Loh could suggest a decent book about the WW2 Chindits..... that is if Loh is on the new site?

Their form of War must have been the toughest. Hiking through rain forest, getting pissed on. continuously. Beggers belief how tough those fellers were.

Having travelled to Kanchanaburi and visited the Bridge on the River Kwai, it’s museums, POW cemeteries and then trekked through rain forest ( not proper jungle) experiencing the heat and humidity it really put in to perspective what those soldiers went through. They faced unbelievable hardships and that’s before they engaged the enemy in combat. It’s an unbelievably moving experience.

The RAVC Captain attached to the Chindits was from Bridgend. Professor Frank Tudor Whitney Jordan. Set up avian medicine in Liverpool in the 1950s. Worked until he was 91 and passed away at 94. Very honoured to have known and worked with Frank. His last paper was with me in 2008. He was 89.

As a vet he looked after the care of the mules. He de-voiced them so they would not bray and give away positions of supply lines.

Frank was cremated in a cardboard coffin printed with chickens.

BrynCartwright said:
After watching Ray Mars and Ewan Mcgregor fighting through Honduran rainforest on BBC4 tonight I wonder if Loh could suggest a decent book about the WW2 Chindits..... that is if Loh is on the new site?

Their form of War must have been the toughest. Hiking through rain forest, getting pissed on. continuously. Beggers belief how tough those fellers were.

The Chindits were very tough indeed.

BrynCartwright said:
After watching Ray Mars and Ewan Mcgregor fighting through Honduran rainforest on BBC4 tonight I wonder if Loh could suggest a decent book about the WW2 Chindits..... that is if Loh is on the new site?

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/511djcTP7mL._SX343_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

TheLoneRanger said:
BrynCartwright said:

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/511djcTP7mL._SX343_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Many thanks LR. Will order it pronto.

BrynCartwright said:
TheLoneRanger said:

Many thanks LR. Will order it pronto.

No probs Bryn. A mate lent me this book a couple of years ago. It's a long read, but hard to put down.

It's hard to believe what hardships these men went through ... Many, many, taking these horrifying memories silently to their graves.

Heroes, one and all.

You can read part of the book here ...

https://books.google.co.uk/books/about/War_in_the_Wilderness.html?id=XBQ7AwAAQBAJ&printsec=frontcover&source=kp_read_button&redir_esc=y

EDIT ...

I forgot to mention, this is another good read, a REAL life Rambo in the jungle.

"Jungle Soldier: The True Story of Freddy Spencer Chapman." by Brian Moynahan

He was the most hunted man in Japanese-occupied Asia!!

So Lohengrin and plenty of other old PS stalwarts happy to stick on the old site, which is just shit innit!

Coventry City v Swansea City

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Back