• ***IMPORTANT*** SOME PASSWORDS NOT WORKING

There has been some issues with user passwords. Some users may need to reset their passwords to login to the forum. Please use the password reset option when logging in. If you do experience issues and find our account is locked then please email admin@jackarmy.net Thanks

Martin says he wishes he’d made more changes with more to come

After Saturdays game Swans fans should be asking themselves the question “Do you see an improvement since Russell came through the door in August?”
If the answer is no there’s something seriously wrong,if the answer is yes there’s something seriously wrong with you.

Swanluke said:
I personally still think we need to give the bloke a full pre season and see where we are at in October. If we can pick up some good results in March against good opposition then hopefully confidence will come back.

If the board think differently then I hope they have learnt from last summers shambles and have a plan in place.

With respect, a couple of months back I said the same, but seems this guy has treated the last few months just like a pre season. I personally don't like being fed shyte and treated like a fool, and then getting constant e mails requesting we renew season tickets. I honestly feel tmrw night is key now. Way too many shyte performances to forgive. Needs a massive change of attitudes from us, sadly under him, cant see it coming.

sainthelens said:
Swanluke said:
I personally still think we need to give the bloke a full pre season and see where we are at in October. If we can pick up some good results in March against good opposition then hopefully confidence will come back.

If the board think differently then I hope they have learnt from last summers shambles and have a plan in place.

With respect, a couple of months back I said the same, but seems this guy has treated the last few months just like a pre season. I personally don't like being fed shyte and treated like a fool, and then getting constant e mails requesting we renew season tickets. I honestly feel tmrw night is key now. Way too many shyte performances to forgive. Needs a massive change of attitudes from us, sadly under him, cant see it coming.

Totally get that mate, Maybe the game being called off tomorrow is a blessing in disguise.

Swanluke said:

We played some decent football at times in the first half of the season, performances were up and down but generally okay. We seem to have regressed a lot since December and even though we've won three of the last four at home, we haven't looked very convincing in them, and our away form is dreadful at the moment - and we seem to be getting worse every time.

There's a third of the season left and we need to see some kind of improvement from now until May. If we finish say 20th and keep playing like we are, what confidence is anyone going to have in him going into next season?

The first half of the season teams didn’t know what we were doing. Now they do it’s easier for them. Look at what sheff Utd manager said after the game Saturday it really is that easy to beat us

I’ve just looked at all the upcoming fixtures and it’s very possible we could be 19th (slim chance of 20th) going into March.
That shouldn’t be acceptable to anyone regardless of what the ‘project’ is.

Let's be fair his overall results and performances has not put him in any shop window waiting for clubs to say that's what we need. Did we employ him watching MK play or did we snap him up purely on stats? I feel it's the latter as when his name was bandied about I was not aware of him.

Wanted to give him a chance but, really don't see where we improve playing this style. We need four Maldinis at centre back. A team with no natural winger is never going to score many. And I now have got to the point where it's as boring and predictable as a cooper's team.

Darran said:
After Saturdays game Swans fans should be asking themselves the question “Do you see an improvement since Russell came through the door in August?”
If the answer is no there’s something seriously wrong,if the answer is yes there’s something seriously wrong with you.

I'd like to see anyone explain to me, without using any words like 'process', 'transition', 'fundamentals', 'non negotiables' etc. how exactly we have improved from where we were in August.

I don't think any player has really improved this season.

The only thing I would possibly say is that by the summer we would probably have had a good old clear out and hopefully laid some foundations with some good young talent. On the pitch, however, the mistakes we made in the first game of the season are still being made. The fact that it is different personnel making those mistakes only makes it worse.

ARQS said:
Darran said:

I'd like to see anyone explain to me, without using any words like 'process', 'transition', 'fundamentals', 'non negotiables' etc. how exactly we have improved from where we were in August.

I don't think any player has really improved this season.

The only thing I would possibly say is that by the summer we would probably have had a good old clear out and hopefully laid some foundations with some good young talent. On the pitch, however, the mistakes we made in the first game of the season are still being made. The fact that it is different personnel making those mistakes only makes it worse.

Your request to deny the necessary fundamentals of the transitional process is denied. this is non negotiable.

If the players we have are not capable of playing the way he wants, whether it be 3 times a week or 1, then why are we persisting with it?
Change the formation, press a little smarter, play more pragmatically. The lack of flexibility on show this season is really worrying.

lidojack said:
If the players we have are not capable of playing the way he wants, whether it be 3 times a week or 1, then why are we persisting with it?
Change the formation, press a little smarter, play more pragmatically. The lack of flexibility on show this season is really worrying.

I suppose the thinking is that by next season we will have X players who have been playing the way he wants to play (however that is but that's another question) for 12 months and are well versed in it (whatever 'it' is), X players who have been shown the door because they can't play it (whatever 'it' is) and X players who have been signed specifically because they can play it (whatever 'it' is).

You could argue that it is better that those players who can play it have been learning it this season, albeit alongside players who cannot play it, than them to start learning it from next season when we may be able to do it more successfully - e.g. Flynn Downes will start next season a far better player for having played 'this way' this season.

Perhaps he feels that to compromise now just to pick up a handful of extra points could do us more damage in the future.

However, that doesn't change the fact that he has now signed Fisher, Christie, Ogbeta (although he hasn't played yet, admittedly), Downes and Ntcham, given Grimes a new contract and continued him as captain, Paterson, Obafemi and Wolf. He also has Piroe who has 12 league goals. Surely you'd have expected to see some green shoots already?

monmouth said:
:lol: :lol: That'll motivate the squad

Damn right. I've personally been in the situation where management told us that a contract would be ending in 3 months and most of us would be "let go", and productivity and morale went through the floor.

Most of his signings have done well on occasion, so I think we all can draw up a list of the players that he's targeting, and the players can do that as well.

Assuming Martin survives to the summer without the players getting him the sack.

A lot is dependent on getting a fee for Cabango in the summer I'd imagine. The other two who might command a fee are Grimes and Downs but getting rid of them wouldn't make sense as you'd imagine they are exactly the players he's talking about when he says players that fit in with his 'style'.

One thing you would say in his favour, the majority of the players he's signed have done OK, certainly better suited to passing football than the players Martinez had at his disposal when he inherited from Kenny Jacket.

ARQS said:
lidojack said:

I suppose the thinking is that by next season we will have X players who have been playing the way he wants to play (however that is but that's another question) for 12 months and are well versed in it (whatever 'it' is), X players who have been shown the door because they can't play it (whatever 'it' is) and X players who have been signed specifically because they can play it (whatever 'it' is).

You could argue that it is better that those players who can play it have been learning it this season, albeit alongside players who cannot play it, than them to start learning it from next season when we may be able to do it more successfully - e.g. Flynn Downes will start next season a far better player for having played 'this way' this season.

Perhaps he feels that to compromise now just to pick up a handful of extra points could do us more damage in the future.

However, that doesn't change the fact that he has now signed Fisher, Christie, Ogbeta (although he hasn't played yet, admittedly), Downes and Ntcham, given Grimes a new contract and continued him as captain, Paterson, Obafemi and Wolf. He also has Piroe who has 12 league goals. Surely you'd have expected to see some green shoots already?

I may be wrong but I would like to think playing more pragmatically once a week when the players are knackered would do less damage than getting battered every third game.

Coventry City v Swansea City

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Back