• ***IMPORTANT*** SOME PASSWORDS NOT WORKING

There has been some issues with user passwords. Some users may need to reset their passwords to login to the forum. Please use the password reset option when logging in. If you do experience issues and find our account is locked then please email admin@jackarmy.net Thanks

Mini parent-coaches

Sherpa

First Team Player
Reaction score
Would welcome the views of anyone involved in mini football

My lad plays minis U8s, and I help coach. We have enough players to run several teams at this age group. The usual mix of outstanding, average and struggling with the basics kids.

The "head coach" has decided he wants the best players (of which my lad is one) all playing together in the same team.

This would mean i wouldn't get to coach him, and as i will be needed to coach one of the other teams most weeks I won't even see him play.

I think its wrong- I've been told to wind my neck in.

My son wants his dad watching him, so it will likely mean I stop coaching.

Unfortunately the head coach seems like one of those types who thinks that u8's football is about winning rather than making sure the kids are all having fun and developing their skills. There are far, far too many of them about.

I coached a mini football team for 6 years. I coached 1 team, and my mate coached the other as we had around 16 players. His boy was in his team and mine in mine. We started by mixing up the lads so no side had distinct advantage over the other. That kept everyone including parents happy and made for competitive so called derby games.
That guy in question sounds a right tw@t and needs telling. It's all about enjoyment for the kids....not his ego.
Hope it works out for you.

Sherpa said:

My lad plays minis U8s, and I help coach. We have enough players to run several teams at this age group. The usual mix of outstanding, average and struggling with the basics kids.

The "head coach" has decided he wants the best players (of which my lad is one) all playing together in the same team.

This would mean i wouldn't get to coach him, and as i will be needed to coach one of the other teams most weeks I won't even see him play.

You have to either stop coaching and watch your son or be an assistant coach in his team. Sounds like the head coach probably already has an assistant, but over time with holidays, illness, referee needed you may still get called upon to help out in your sons team.

Lifes too short for you to coach another team and not see your son play.

Honestly take it from years of experience

It's not a problem that will last a long time because this nonsense at 8 years old will inevitably just drive enough of the players away, that you will just have one team again.

In addition, the coach who wants to push through with this idea has the personality that will likely mean he ends up leaving for another club, taking some players with him, and it will be back to one team again

This A and B team crap at U8 very rarely lives to see U10

Most of them just want to play with their friends.

Watch your boy play for a year and then coach the team again when it all falls apart.

My kids played with their mates right through. One or two are outstanding. Two or three above average. Rest of team are still learning. I mingle with a lot of coaches from u14s and up to Premier amateur. The most fun I have had and continue to have, is watching my kids move into playing against 40 year olds, and seeing how diverse the game is. My coach (who is also a good mate )in the team I play for, is different. Bit of a streamer from age u10 and up. He is now VP of the club and potentially future president. Takes all sorts.

Sherpa said:

Which teams? If it's Swansea, drop me a message.

thefranchise said:
Sherpa said:

Which teams? If it's Swansea, drop me a message.

Its not Swansea, but it is in South Wales

Dr. Winston said:
Unfortunately the head coach seems like one of those types who thinks that u8's football is about winning rather than making sure the kids are all having fun and developing their skills. There are far, far too many of them about.

Yep. It drove my lad away from the game (and several others who'd been with the team for several years). I understand the will to win increases as kids get older, but it's not healthy to have non-inclusive setups when kids are under 10 and developing.

Awful people some of them. Unfortunately a lot of the worst people to be involved with kids’ football are the ones with the time on their hands to do it. Shouldn’t be anywhere near grassroots football. I was told recently by a minis coach that it was their job to provide players for the first team. A works team mind. FFS.

Itchysphincter said:
Awful people some of them. Unfortunately a lot of the worst people to be involved with kids’ football are the ones with the time on their hands to do it. Shouldn’t be anywhere near grassroots football. I was told recently by a minis coach that it was their job to provide players for the first team. A works team mind. FFS.

Attachments

• 9047FB75-8D1C-4A2A-A31F-25EAE84AFB1D.gif
    9047FB75-8D1C-4A2A-A31F-25EAE84AFB1D.gif
    6.6 MB · Views: 2,045
Sherpa said:

If the coach is acting like this with under 8s then I would get out of there. Massive issue with a lot of coaches is that they do it because their kids are playing for that team and they tend to see their kid as better than they actually are.
My advice would be to step back and watch your boys and study the coaches.... You will then see blind fools who will do what's best for them and their own kids.

Coventry City v Swansea City

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Back