• ***IMPORTANT*** SOME PASSWORDS NOT WORKING

There has been some issues with user passwords. Some users may need to reset their passwords to login to the forum. Please use the password reset option when logging in. If you do experience issues and find our account is locked then please email admin@jackarmy.net Thanks

Mini parent-coaches

I have to disagree with alot that has been said above.

Team A- the 'best'
Team B- ' not so good'

If a coach of team A wants all the best players, primadonnas, pressure, dads screaming on touchline, winning is everything, my son will be the next ? Then let them have it.

Coach and players in Team B, more fun, winning isn't everything, just do your best, less pressure, get the ball passed to them, feel involved.

More importantly, players in team B, can grow and improve far more, than if stuck with 3 superstars in team, they wouldn't pass, the tuts and sighs from other parents would kill confidence, but play with others still needing time to grow and improve and gain greater confidence, more equal, not spend most of time on bench.

I have had kids in both- the best A team, the not so good B team. Won lots of trophies in A and trials etc. BUT

Lots of fun in team B and seen some great OakTrees grow from acorns, who are still playing as adults, when many players from team A are frazzled, burnt out, didn't make a living from football ( their dad thought they would ), so packed it in .

The pressure so many fathers put on their kids is bonkers.

Usually worse if only have 1 son, or the first born is a boy. More chilled when have 5 sons lol

Been there, seen it....really crazy.

If the dad of player in Team A wants him to play with his mates who are in Team B, then why not drop down to team B?

Never seen it happen yet. Which dispels the playing with best friend bollox is most important.

Why would you want to coach a bunch of kids that doesn't include your child whilst simultaneously missing out on watching your child play?

Seems like a no brainer to me. Either get involved with the better team if possible or just go along and watch your boy.

Dr. Winston said:
Unfortunately the head coach seems like one of those types who thinks that u8's football is about winning rather than making sure the kids are all having fun and developing their skills. There are far, far too many of them about.

If I could like this post a million times I would. I've only just got my boy into attending sessions on a Saturday morning (he's 6) and he's enjoying it (to be fair Darren Ward the coach is brilliant with the kids).

I've seen and heard some right horror stories.

waynekerr55 said:
Dr. Winston said:
Unfortunately the head coach seems like one of those types who thinks that u8's football is about winning rather than making sure the kids are all having fun and developing their skills. There are far, far too many of them about.

If I could like this post a million times I would. I've only just got my boy into attending sessions on a Saturday morning (he's 6) and he's enjoying it (to be fair Darren Ward the coach is brilliant with the kids).

Really hope you are still positive about kids football 3 or 4 years down the line, when he will be all of 9 or 10.

Rollercoaster, buckle yourself in.

At the age of 6 or 7 the only 'coaching' they should need is splitting them into two teams and let them have fun.

I do feel it quite funny when you see these kids coaches coming across like they're managing Manchester United or something...

So for some balance here as this all seems negative.

For every story I hear like this, I see 20 teams doing brilliant things.

Swansea has over 120 teams in the 8s to 11s age group and nearly all of those are run by parents or guardians who put in hours of voluntary work every week often without thanks and are often out of pocket.

On any weekend morning you will see some bad, but you will see a lot of good.

The OP needs to look at their club, being that elite at that age group goes against the whole ethos the FAW wants implemented at grassroots level.

WalterBoyd said:
waynekerr55 said:

Really hope you are still positive about kids football 3 or 4 years down the line, when he will be all of 9 or 10.

Rollercoaster, buckle yourself in.

Always will be. It's a tough gig working in centres of excellence/academies and an even tougher one outside of that in local football. He'll have whatever he wants in terms of that. At this age it's about the building blocks so he can try all sorts. He's left footed and can whack it so he does have an advantage 😂

Sherpa said:
Would welcome the views of anyone involved in mini football

My lad plays minis U8s, and I help coach. We have enough players to run several teams at this age group. The usual mix of outstanding, average and struggling with the basics kids.

The "head coach" has decided he wants the best players (of which my lad is one) all playing together in the same team.

This would mean i wouldn't get to coach him, and as i will be needed to coach one of the other teams most weeks I won't even see him play.

I think its wrong- I've been told to wind my neck in.

My son wants his dad watching him, so it will likely mean I stop coaching.
The saga continues.
So, this morning the head coach implemented his plan and put the best players together, leaving one team considerably weaker than the others. The stronger teams won most, but not all of their games, the weaker team didnt win a game.
The head coach actually took the weaker team and coached them through their 4 matches. Afterwards his verdict as to why they didnt win was "Fitness"- So its fitness work for them at Thursday evening training.

Sherpa said:
Sherpa said:

My lad plays minis U8s, and I help coach. We have enough players to run several teams at this age group. The usual mix of outstanding, average and struggling with the basics kids.

The "head coach" has decided he wants the best players (of which my lad is one) all playing together in the same team.

This would mean i wouldn't get to coach him, and as i will be needed to coach one of the other teams most weeks I won't even see him play.

The saga continues.
So, this morning the head coach implemented his plan and put the best players together, leaving one team considerably weaker than the others. The stronger teams won most, but not all of their games, the weaker team didnt win a game.
The head coach actually took the weaker team and coached them through their 4 matches. Afterwards his verdict as to why they didnt win was "Fitness"- So its fitness work for them at Thursday evening training.

I'd leave.

thefranchise said:
Sherpa said:
The saga continues.

I'd leave.

I wouldn’t fancy leaving a group of kids at the mercy of that head coach. He clearly doesn’t understand the ethos of mini football or what coaching kids of that age should be about.

exiledclaseboy said:
thefranchise said:
I'd leave.

I wouldn’t fancy leaving a group of kids at the mercy of that head coach. He clearly doesn’t understand the ethos of mini football or what coaching kids of that age should be about.

Well a handful of people here know what I do with junior football in Swansea.

I have dealt with these sort of things for over 10 years. This "coach" wont be changed so you get him out or leave. Anyone that says a 7 year old player will need fitness work needs to get as far away from children as possible.

thefranchise said:
exiledclaseboy said:

I have dealt with these sort of things for over 10 years. This "coach" wont be changed so you get him out or leave. Anyone that says a 7 year old player will need fitness work needs to get as far away from children as possible.

I completely agree with you. Get him out is preferable to leave though surely?

exiledclaseboy said:
thefranchise said:

I completely agree with you. Get him out is preferable to leave though surely?

Speak to the club's safeguarding officer, point them in the direction of the FAW rules for small sided football.

Sherpa said:
Sherpa said:

The saga continues.

You need to go higher up in the club about this

Yes it may mean you butt heads with Minis Mourinho and whatever followers he has, but I can't imagine the committee/board would approve of this methodology

JustJack said:
Sherpa said:
The saga continues.

You need to go higher up in the club about this

Yes it may mean you butt heads with Minis Mourinho and whatever followers he has, but I can't imagine the committee/board would approve of this methodology
The head coach is cliquey mates with those at the top. It's how he got the gig.

Coventry City v Swansea City

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Back