• ***IMPORTANT*** SOME PASSWORDS NOT WORKING

There has been some issues with user passwords. Some users may need to reset their passwords to login to the forum. Please use the password reset option when logging in. If you do experience issues and find our account is locked then please email admin@jackarmy.net Thanks

Next Season - Owners Take Note

Ringwood Jack

Tommy Hutchison
Reaction score
Use your extremely basic knowledge of football especially the Championship and get planning. The last 4 years you've bottled it and not backed the Managers now you have a very tough league next season to compete in... we don't want another level outcome in L1.

The club lost £13m last season, backing Martin with Wolf and Christie for big bucks in January. Our wage bill was £10m higher than Coventry, and £8m higher than Luton. Cooper got to use Ayew for £5m a year. Martin was given £2m to sign his man Darling. £26m has been put in the till in the last two years.

So what does "backing the manager" look like? What amount of overspending would be appropriate? Is the expectation simply that a manager gets given everything they want and damn the consequences?

jasper_T said:
The club lost £13m last season, backing Martin with Wolf and Christie for big bucks in January. Our wage bill was £10m higher than Coventry, and £8m higher than Luton. Cooper got to use Ayew for £5m a year. Martin was given £2m to sign his man Darling. £26m has been put in the till in the last two years.

So what does "backing the manager" look like? What amount of overspending would be appropriate? Is the expectation simply that a manager gets given everything they want and damn the consequences?

I’ve never read so much tripe in my life. You need to give up football pal you haven’t got a clue.

Or perfect sense and a logical analysis with a pertinent summative question.

You choose.

Ringwood Jack said:
So the last 2 windows?...

What was wrong with last summer? We brought in Darling, Wood and Joe Allen plus 4 loans.

£2.3M on Darling is still to be proved as good business. Wood we could make a profit on. The others are not decent investments revenue wise. You conveniently didn't mention January. Whatever the reasons rightly or wrongly we had a chance this year to push on with a couple of additions. We will see the true colours of any little ambition or investment we have by who we sell and the quality of what we can bring in.

Ringwood Jack said:
£2.3M on Darling is still to be proved as good business. Wood we could make a profit on. The others are not decent investments revenue wise. You conveniently didn't mention January. Whatever the reasons rightly or wrongly we had a chance this year to push on with a couple of additions. We will see the true colours of any little ambition or investment we have by who we sell and the quality of what we can bring in.

Thought we bought Darling for 1.5 mill?

Niigata Jack said:
Thought we bought Darling for 1.5 mill?

Providing we've cover, I'd like to see Harry given a prolonged run at RB.

Ringwood Jack said:

Very few clubs spent any money in January, but everyone knows that was a foul up and/or the manager not being backed (and why would he be the abysmal form we were in?). The last-minute scramble to waste a load of money borrowing Grant fell through because Chelsea changed their mind on sending a player to West Brom.

Whether they were decent investments or not wasn't the question of the thread. Martin got plenty of new players in the summer and many were his picks, even if he had to settle for loaning Sorinola when he wanted to buy. Very few managers in this division can have everything they want, that's the financial reality. We've been top third for fees paid and agent remuneration in the last two seasons, and our sales have hardly been exceptional.

Ringwood Jack said:
we had a chance this year to push on with a couple of additions.

We didn't need additions in January. We had a chance to make the playoffs without spending a penny except Martin screwed the pooch.

Dr. Winston said:
We didn't need additions in January. We had a chance to make the playoffs without spending a penny except Martin screwed the pooch.

No one in their right mind would have given Martin money to spend in January. The bloke is the very definition of the Peter Principle.

If Martin didn’t go on a run of 4 wins in 24 or whatever it was then we would have reached the play offs and no one would be mentioning January, how many teams made signings in January? I’m sure a fair few made only 1 loan signing or nothing at all, Martin had a more than capable squad to get to the playoffs but his stubbornness and unwillingness to change when it was blatantly obvious messed that up completely the blame comes down to him.

Swansea93 said:
If Martin didn’t go on a run of 4 wins in 24 or whatever it was then we would have reached the play offs and no one would be mentioning January, how many teams made signings in January? I’m sure a fair few made only 1 loan signing or nothing at all, Martin had a more than capable squad to get to the playoffs but his stubbornness and unwillingness to change when it was blatantly obvious messed that up completely the blame comes down to him.

There are an awful lot of people out there desperate to spin the narrative that Russell Martin is a managerial genius who was only thwarted in his plans for Championship domination by our failure to back him in January.

Ask them why the same squad that was apparently so weak and in dire need of reinforcement in January somehow went the last nine games of the season unbeaten after "The Process" was mostly kicked to the curb and they go all quiet.

Dr. Winston said:
There are an awful lot of people out there desperate to spin the narrative that Russell Martin is a managerial genius who was only thwarted in his plans for Championship domination by our failure to back him in January.

Ask them why the same squad that was apparently so weak and in dire need of reinforcement in January somehow went the last nine games of the season unbeaten after "The Process" was mostly kicked to the curb and they go all quiet.

Don’t get me wrong I backed Martin a lot and defended him quite often, but the longer it went on and the stubbornness and unwillingness to adapt thrown in with the abysmal run of games that was enough for me, for someone who had a full season to re build a style to go on that run was unforgivable, I was annoyed in January we didn’t make a signing but looking back on it now I don’t think it’s the reason at all we missed out on the playoffs.

Only the super fist pumpers in our midst blame the Americans for this season, would you have given Martin anything after 1 win in 20 against 11 men.. you've got to be joking, and I think our team is overrated by our fans, we're bang average, god knows where we'll be without Piroes goals next season

2024/2025 fixture list release

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Back