• Thank you very much | Diolch yn fawr

    All at JackArmy.net would like to thank everyone who has played a part on this site over the past 25 years whether that is through writing, contributing, moderating, posting or just visting and reading.

    Without any of you the work that has gone into the site would have been pointless and we will always be proud that we built, generated and managed a community that was such a big part of the Swansea City supporting life for so long.

    It has been a pleasure to bring to you the site for so long but the time is now right to turn the lights out for the last time but we do it both with a heavy heart and a sense of pride driven by the so many messages received since we announced the closure.

    The site will remain here for a period until we archive and mothball it for the last time later this summer but all aspects are in a read only format.

    Thank you though for all the memories

    Phil Sumbler
    Owner, jackarmy.net

Roberto Martinez

  • Thread starter Thread starter Darran
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies: Replies 17
  • Views Views: Views 3,701
Always remember waiting outside the Brangwyn Hall the night of the league 1 promotion parade, Martinez invited me and a few friends in had a chat with us with Huw Jenkins and gave us some ‘promotion sandwiches' as he called them, lovely bloke despite the way he left.
 
Swansea93 said:
Always remember waiting outside the Brangwyn Hall the night of the league 1 promotion parade, Martinez invited me and a few friends in had a chat with us with Huw Jenkins and gave us some ‘promotion sandwiches' as he called them, lovely bloke despite the way he left.

A Swansea City great, no doubt.

Up there with the biggest of club legends for us.
 
Neath_Jack said:
A Swansea City great, no doubt.

Up there with the biggest of club legends for us.

Got the fishing rod down from the Attic I see :shock:
 
Niigata Jack said:
Got the fishing rod down from the Attic I see :shock:

He was an important player during the great escape season and then promotion to League 1, then came back as manager and kick-started the greatest period in this club's history.

As long as you're not still bitter about his departure (It's been 14 years so I'd guess not), I'm not sure what there is to argue about in NJ's post?
 
JackSomething said:
He was an important player during the great escape season and then promotion to League 1, then came back as manager and kick-started the greatest period in this club's history.

As long as you're not still bitter about his departure (It's been 14 years so I'd guess not), I'm not sure what there is to argue about in NJ's post?

I'm not bitter, but what he did takes the gloss off his achievements here, for me anyway, he rightly deserves plaudits for our playing style at that time. He tarnished his Rep for me, so I don't see him as an all time great, he came up to meet the junior team I was running at the time, he came along with a couple of other players he was still playing himself then and he and them were great, I think Recco may have organised that, as he used to come and do a few sessions with the lads, trying to think of the other players who came with Martinez pretty sure Leon was one, my memory is poor though I think 3 maybe 4 players came up, but I'm struggling to remember who they were.

Then Sousa take it on further by making us defensively strong, but also stepped back with the playing style he had us playing, then Rogers hopped aboard and put the two styles together and we hit the Glory trail, then in popped Laudrup and the rest is history.
 
Niigata Jack said:
Got the fishing rod down from the Attic I see :shock:

Definitely not fishing, his, Tosh and Brendan are our greatest managers in my lifetime, St Michael a gnats cock behind them.

Managers leave, they are either sacked, or poached by bigger clooobs, that is football. Take anything they say with a pinch of salt, same goes for owners, but what they do for the cloob and on the pitch is what counts for me, and Roberto done it on and off the pitch.
 
He was great for the swans on many levels and I am grateful to him, but there is no doubt that he’s pretty ruthless in his pursuit of personal advancement and a bit of a penis in general.
 
Itchysphincter said:
He was great for the swans on many levels and I am grateful to him, but there is no doubt that he’s pretty ruthless in his pursuit of personal advancement and a bit of a penis in general.

Would sell his granny for a buck of silver, and not as good a manager as he thinks he is. Detest the man.
 
cmajack said:
Would sell his granny for a buck of silver, and not as good a manager as he thinks he is. Detest the man.

I don't detest him, but I agree with the rest of your post.
 
Niigata Jack said:
I don't detest him, but I agree with the rest of your post.

To my mind, he kick started the greatest period in our history so for that, I'll always be extremely grateful. But even after the way he left, I don't detest him either, I reserve that level of dislike for people who are real scum rather than just flawed, which is what I think he is.
 
karnataka said:
To my mind, he kick started the greatest period in our history so for that, I'll always be extremely grateful. But even after the way he left, I don't detest him, I reserve that level of dislike for people who are real scum rather than just flawed, which is what I think he is.


What you telling me for, I never said I detested him, I replied to a poster who said that they detest him. :roll:
 
Niigata Jack said:
What you telling me for, I never said I detested him, I replied to a poster who said that they detest him. :roll:

Edited to indicate that I'm agreeing with you. :roll:
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top