• ***IMPORTANT*** SOME PASSWORDS NOT WORKING

There has been some issues with user passwords. Some users may need to reset their passwords to login to the forum. Please use the password reset option when logging in. If you do experience issues and find our account is locked then please email admin@jackarmy.net Thanks

Sacked for a joke about MP Carolyn Harris on Twitter

exiledclaseboy said:
Neath_Jack said:
None of us know what the official reason was.

If it panned out as it has been reported in this article, I'd imagine he will be in for a bumper pay-out in a tribunal.

Never mind though, the overweight woman will get the blame for it, based on a local shitrag report.

I’m willing to bet there’s more to it than just this tweet.

I agree, on the face of it he’s going to win an unfair dismissal case hands down. He’s got a lot to say about it as quoted but not a word about taking them to a tribunal which seems odd to me. I think there’s another side to this story which might paint him in a completely different light.

J_B said:
exiledclaseboy said:

I agree, on the face of it he’s going to win an unfair dismissal case hands down. He’s got a lot to say about it as quoted but not a word about taking them to a tribunal which seems odd to me. I think there’s another side to this story which might paint him in a completely different light.

It’s fairly typical local rag fodder. The reporters (can’t really call most of them journalists) don’t bother trying to get to the heart of any story, just a few quotes, a couple of pics of someone with a sad face, whack out a few hundred words around it and job done. Half a page filled and a bit of social media outrage before everyone quickly forgets about it. This one is even easier because Harris is an easy target. Local, in the public eye, a politician no less, also a woman and who doesn’t conform to the ideal of what people (mostly men) think she should conform to.

He looks a bit of a "look at me" character.
Must be more than just the tweet or an accumulation of issues that got him sacked.

I will say it's a warning to all on twitter and Facebook about what you share and post.

I'm not saying it is right but firms will always cover their arses with " you could have brought us in to disrepute"

dickythorpe said:
Must be more than just the tweet or an accumulation of issues that got him sacked.

I will say it's a warning to all on twitter and Facebook about what you share and post.

I'm not saying it is right but firms will always cover their arses with " you could have brought us in to disrepute"

I was thinking that he might have had a few warnings from morrisons but it hasn't been reported.

Totally agree re social media, think before you post, if you think your tweet on twatter or post on facefuck will upset someone don't do it.

Fireboy said:
dickythorpe said:

I was thinking that he might have had a few warnings from morrisons but it hasn't been reported.

Totally agree re social media, think before you post, if you think your tweet on twatter or post on facefuck will upset someone don't do it.

He literally says in the article he was expecting a final warning. Which suggests he’s had warnings before.

The reality is that MPs, particularly female MPs, get a stack load of utter crap constantly. Why on Earth should they? It’s not funny that she receives abuse. And her family. It’s about time people realised that being deeply hurtful or encouraging a pile on is not ‘banter’. It’s bullying.

The picture btw looks like she is looking at her phone. Which is what she says she is doing.

Neath_Jack said:
Anyone seen the official paperwork for his dismissal?

Would be interesting to see what reason they gave.

Says it was too late to appeal, what was the timeline of him being told he was being sacked, and when he tried to appeal.

He was given advice from an experienced HR manager outside the company that he had indeed missed the opportunity to appeal.
The dedication this guy has inside of work and outside, helping many underprivileged kids as well as spending a lot of his own time helping those less fortunate than himself during covid.
He was sacked because of his politics, whatever trumped up reasons Morrisons gave.
A loyal, hardworking employee who was kicked in the teeth

ABSwan said:
Neath_Jack said:

Says it was too late to appeal, what was the timeline of him being told he was being sacked, and when he tried to appeal.

It looked like he had history of being told about wearing clothing with political statements. I understand companies like this would like to stay non-political as far as facing the customer was concerned.

Possible this was an excuse to get rid of him.
Agree certain individuals had an agenda

Wrong on all levels for me.

exiledclaseboy said:
Neath_Jack said:
None of us know what the official reason was.

If it panned out as it has been reported in this article, I'd imagine he will be in for a bumper pay-out in a tribunal.

Never mind though, the overweight woman will get the blame for it, based on a local shitrag report.

Andrew, this was the opportunity certain folk at Morrisons were looking for to get rid of him.
Didn't care one iota about his brilliant work ethic, his willingness to help out and cover shifts whenever asked, the positive promotion of Morrisons in the local community through his voluntary and charity work.
He dared to flaunt his politics in front of the wrong people.
His biggest mistake was his failure to appeal in time

Darran said:
https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wales-news/morrisons-sacked-because-made-joke-20562929

Darran it stinks to high heaven mate

J_B said:
exiledclaseboy said:

Or, it could be that after years of dedicated service, he is totally and utterly depressed about the situation and cannot face the thought of going through it all in a tribunal.
Suffice to say he was offered several interviews and a job within a short time of losing his job,
If there was more to it as you say, why would other companies be willing to employ him ?

dickythorpe said:

Agree with the last bit Dicky.
Contrary to your belief he is not a look at me character, but more of a " what can I do to help" character
You are right about social media, though, it can be dangerous and easily used against people

Londonlisa2001 said:
Fireboy said:

He literally says in the article he was expecting a final warning. Which suggests he’s had warnings before.

The reality is that MPs, particularly female MPs, get a stack load of utter crap constantly. Why on Earth should they? It’s not funny that she receives abuse. And her family. It’s about time people realised that being deeply hurtful or encouraging a pile on is not ‘banter’. It’s bullying.

The picture btw looks like she is looking at her phone. Which is what she says she is doing.

Totally agree about social media abuse being totally unacceptable.
However someone posting about an MP looking if they are sleeping, is hardly the same as, say, the names Wayne Rooney or Steve Cooper get called, or Graham Turner got called in the national press when England manager.
Morrisons have used a sledgehammer to crack a walnut.

Fireboy said:
dickythorpe said:

Ed, I agree he has let his political colours show more than once and upset the wrong people.
However, the balance of good he has done inside and outside the company against this bit of nonsense he was sacked for is like 80/20
Just stinks mate

STID2017 said:
Neath_Jack said:

He was given advice from an experienced HR manager outside the company that he had indeed missed the opportunity to appeal.
The dedication this guy has inside of work and outside, helping many underprivileged kids as well as spending a lot of his own time helping those less fortunate than himself during covid.
He was sacked because of his politics, whatever trumped up reasons Morrisons gave.
A loyal, hardworking employee who was kicked in the teeth

His politics ? WTF are you on about

Coventry City v Swansea City

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Back