• ***IMPORTANT*** SOME PASSWORDS NOT WORKING

There has been some issues with user passwords. Some users may need to reset their passwords to login to the forum. Please use the password reset option when logging in. If you do experience issues and find our account is locked then please email admin@jackarmy.net Thanks

Season 20/21: The Official Barnsley v Swansea City Match Thread

What will the result be against Barnsley?

• Barnsley win

Votes: 3 8.8%
  • Draw

Votes: 11 32.4%
  • Swans win

Votes: 20 58.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
RORY FALLON | I DIDN'T REALISE AT THE TIME JUST HOW GOOD OUR SQUAD WAS

Source: Swansea Official Site

Ask most Swansea City fans to think of a memorable moment from a Swansea City fixture against Barnsley and there’s a decent chance quite a few will mention Rory Fallon.

The 2006 League One play-off final may well have ended in penalty shoot-out heartache for the Swans, but Fallon’s overhead kick to open the scoring was a goal worth of gracing any showpiece occasion.

It was celebrated deliriously by the members of the Jack Army in attendance; indeed this writer can recall seeing one fan nearby leap in the air in delight, only to land on the seat in front and end up falling down about four rows of seating.

Thankfully, the gentleman in question – and the supporters he skittled over high up in the Millennium Stadium stands – were all okay, and that goal was the latest in a series of important goals Fallon had scored following his £300,000 January move from Swindon.

The New Zealander spent a year in SA1 in total, scoring 13 goals in 44 league appearances before leaving for Plymouth.

He has recently returned – taking up a coaching role in the club’s academy – and he met his wife during his time at the club, with the family moving to Clydach.

And the 38-year-old has no shortage of fond memories of his time in a Swans shirt, even though he feels that side of Kenny Jackett’s should have reached the Championship.

“I look back at the play-off final and the main feeling is that we should have won that,” says Fallon.

“We gave them two sloppy goals, and they also gave us one sloppy goal of their own.

“I felt in extra-time they were just hanging on to get to penalties. They were willing to go for that and see how it panned out, while we pressed and had chances.

“Unfortunately, I think they are still searching for the balls from Adebayo and Tatey’s penalties now!

“I don’t think I realised at the time just how good that team was. But, looking back at it as a coach you just feel that we underachieved.

“That team should have done more, it should have gone automatic and not left it to penalties in a play-off final.

“But that’s football. It’s a brutal and harsh game and that is the way it goes.

“But Swansea did alright after that, didn’t they?”

With the Covid-19 pandemic unsurprisingly leading to much discussion of player workloads and the need for squad depth, it’s worth remembering the embarrassment of attacking riches the Swans had during the final stages of that 2005-06 season.

In addition to Fallon, manager Jackett could also call on Lee Trundle, Leon Knight and Adebayo Akinfenwa to get amongst the goals.

All played a part in that run to the play-off final, but it made for fierce competition and a great degree of respect that Fallon still recalls all these years later.

“I look back at that squad and I just think we had some unbelievable strikers,” says Fallon.

“They were some really good players there. Leon Knight would just score goals whatever team he was in.

“You look and Adebayo is still playing at a high level, and Trunds is just a club legend which tells you who good they were and are.

“I have some great memories, and it will be great to have a reunion with the boys one day once things ease with the pandemic.”

The irony of that Barnsley game was that they were the very club who gave Fallon his break in British football.

Having joined as a trainee, he went on to scored 11 goals in 52 appearances for the Tykes, and the opportunity he was given by the Tykes is one Fallon will always be grateful for.

“I will always have a lot to thank Barnsley for, because they gave me the chance I needed,” he said.

“I enjoyed my time there, they are a great club, a passionate club and they believed in me.

“That’s where it all started for me, and you can never know if I would have had the career I did have without that chance.”

Having moved on to Plymouth, Fallon would not hang up his boots until 2018 at Torquay, having a break from the game before making the move into coaching.

Understandably, the highlight of the whole lot was representing New Zealand at the 2010 World Cup.

Fallon scored the goal against Bahrain that sealed their place in South Africa, and went on to play in all three group games against world champions Italy, Slovakia and Paraguay.

The All Whites were unbeaten in the tournament, but their three draws were not enough to seal passage to the knockout stage.

Nevertheless, it was the experience of a lifetime for Fallon.

“I just felt at the time it was a great opportunity for me to play for my country. I had to take it, and I am glad it did,” says Fallon, whose father Kevin had been part of the New Zealand coaching staff on their previous visit to a World Cup finals in 1982.

“We were one of the unbeaten teams at the tournament and the only disappointment was we did not make it through to the knockout stage.

“They were unbelievable times and memories, it was just brilliant.

“I still get people asking me about it now, it’s a moment you never forget. It’s the highest there is in the game. It was unbelievable.”

Rory%20Fallon%202.jpg

HERBIE KANE PRE-SWANSEA CITY

Source: Barnsley Official Site

Herbie Kane spoke with the press this afternoon as the Reds prepare for Saturday's Sky Bet Championship fixture with Swansea City.

Ahead of the weekend’s clash with the Swans, our 22-year-old midfielder said he sees it as an opportunity for the Reds to make up for the pre-Christmas defeat in South Wales.

Despite having to contend with the treacherous weather conditions at Oakwell that today forced the squad inside for training, Kane still believes the players are looking in good nick for Saturday night.

“We had to train in the indoor centre on the astro because of the weather, but it was alright and I think we’re in good shape.

“It was frustrating down in Swansea before Christmas so Saturday we have the chance to get revenge on Saturday night at Oakwell.

“It’s been nice to start the last few games but I know I need to keep giving reasons as to why I’m in the team, I can’t just expect to play. I must continue to contribute to the team, to do as asked by the gaffer and hope we can keep getting results.”

Herbie has started both fixtures in 2021 so far and reckons last weekend’s victory in the FA Cup against Tranmere Rovers was a good performance in terms of the Reds’ defensive showing.

But he’s only focusing on what is ahead of him, much like his Head Coach.

“Keeping a clean sheet last time out was massive.” Kane explained.

“We’ve been working very hard in training to improve, certainly in terms of set-pieces and so it’s a good sign that we kept it tight in the last game.

“Our focus is only on the next game though.

“We are taking it each game at a time, and this is a strong division so we need to keep at it. I just want to reward the gaffer for giving me an opportunity.”

He registered an assist in the cup clash and says he’s looking to kick on now in terms of goal-involvement.

But his main desire is to keep on working hard, to improve as a player and help push the Reds forward under Valérien Ismaël.

“It’s about helping the team.” Herbie told us.

“To get that assist is good because I just want to help the team. I’m hoping I can start getting a goal soon too.

“I’m learning and developing all the time so I think I’m in a good place. That’s why I came here. I wanted to get game-time, to become a big player at a club, not just a young prospect.

“I’ve never played this kind of football, so it’s been a challenge but I think I’m getting to grips with it and I want to be able to play all sorts of football, to improve as a player.”

Large

VALÉRIEN ISMAËL PRE-SWANSEA CITY

Source: Barnsley Official Site

Valérien Ismaël spoke with the assembled media at Oakwell today as the Reds prepare for Sky Bet Championship action this weekend.

Our Head Coach met with the press via Zoom ahead of Saturday night’s clash with Swansea City and tried his best to clear up a number of rumours that have been circulating recently.

But he began by updating everyone on the health of his squad, with good and bad news on the agenda.

The Reds are set to be without defenders Jordan Williams and Liam Kitching in the short-term, as Valérien explained this afternoon.

He told us: “We have bad news with injuries to Liam Kitching and Jordan Williams. It’s very frustrating, we feel desperate about Jordan especially because he’d just got back. But we don’t think it’s long-term. We hope just two weeks, but I’m afraid to say things because we’ve been close to having him back on more than one occasion before. He’s such a good guy, important to us.

“Liam came with this small groin injury, and we are protecting him.

“But Aapo Halme is back, so that is good news,” the boss continued.

“We have so many games that we can’t take risks with the players, so we must be careful.

“Our COVID tests this week showed more good news, we had no positive cases. It’s good for us because it shows we are all on the same page, all working to our rules in and out of the club.

"We have to respect the virus and follow our protocols.

“We have another round of testing tomorrow, but hopefully everyone will be negative and we then look forward to the game on Saturday night.”

Moving onto the incessant transfer speculation that comes each time the window is opened, Ismaël clarified his and the club’s position on the future of captain, Alex Mowatt.

The in-form 25-year-old has been attracting attention this term, naturally, and with only six months left on his Reds contract, his future remains undecided.

“Alex has played a great season.” The gaffer stated.

“We have offered him a very good contract, and we’ve rejected a bid for him recently. He is very important to me, to this team, and to our club. He is the face of Barnsley FC. So we hope we can get the right news. I think it would be a very important signal to have him extend his contract.

“Sometimes in some situations, it’s not always about money. Alex Mowatt is for me more important to us than any kind of fee. We don’t want him to go, and Alex does not want to leave, he told me that. That’s why we’re trying to get him to agree to an extension.

“We need him to sign his new contract. We are working hard behind-the-scenes with Dane Murphy to do all that we can to make this work for everyone.”

One local journalist during midweek reported supposed interest in youngster Callum Styles, with clubs suggested to be readying bids for the 20-year-old schemer.

But Valérien denied that, referring to the rumours as ‘noise’ as far as he’s concerned.

He did though concede that with good performances on the pitch, it is only normal that his players will have their admirers.

“There has only been noise about that (Callum Styles).” The coach declared.

“It is only normal that we have interest in our players. The likes of Callum, Cauley Woodrow, Mads Andersen, Michal Helik, Alex of course, they’re playing really well so we expect other clubs to like our players.

“It is normal and we see it as a reward for our results and form in recent months. But the players are better served by staying with us until the summer. We are having a very good season.”

This Saturday then sees the return fixture with the Swans.

Having beaten the Reds 2-0 before Christmas, and currently sitting in the second automatic promotion spot, the visit of Steve Cooper’s outfit will pose another stern test for Barnsley.

But Ismaël feels it will be a different game this time around and says they’ll be better equipped on Saturday.

“I think we have improved since this game in Swansea. It was a strange one because of the pitch which was awful to play on.

“Swansea played a different kind of football that day which was a surprise.

“It will be a tough game against a club who are going for the Premier League. But we now know more about them and we will be prepared, more ready on this occasion, however they decide to play.

“We’ll adapt if necessary.”

Large

JackSomething said:
I remember the 3-1 win in the League Cup in 2012. Mark Gower came on for one of his last appearances for the team (only played in 3 games that season before leaving) and I remember deciding to keep a tally of his stats because someone on Planetswans was bound to slate him.

Sure enough someone did that evening, claiming he'd given the ball away loads after coming on. I can't remember who it was (definitely not Perch for once), but they got very offended when I supplied his passing stats, demonstrating he only actually failed to complete 1 pass. :lol:

There was an ominous and strangely informed bandwagon on Gower's case that has been rolling over Naughton's toes for a while but seems to have got stuck on the Grimes case in recent years. Perch was always ready to roll out the band and the wAgon, sideways if he had to, not sure if there has been a player that attracted such universal acclaim among the unwashed. Maybe that guy from Germany and Portugal when he hit the side hoardings.

Swans Team News:

Joel Latibeaudiere and Ryan Bennett are doubtful for the Saturday night clash as they continue to recover from calf and hamstring problems respectively.

Brandon Cooper and Steven Benda are long-term absentees with ankle injuries, while Tivonge Rushesha is also on the sidelines.

New signing Ben Hamer will be involved provided international clearance is received in time following his move from Huddersfield.

Tonight's matchday mascots

View attachment Mascots.jpg

Steffan is aged 10, from Bridgend and his favourite player is Andre Ayew. Steffan has two brothers and plays football for Brackla JFC.

Jake is aged four, comes from Mountain Ash and his favourite player is also Andre Ayew.

Think with having Bennett out we could struggle today, barnsley are a decent side that are on the periphery of the play offs and apart from a mauling by the hands of bournemouth are good at home.

A draw would be a good result but with lowe, ayew and a few others having a deserved 2 weeks off they should be more than fresh.

Given the injuries and recalls would it be prudent to revert to a 4 - 4- 2 or even 4 - 5 - 1?

Source: Swansea Official Site

Football stats experts WhoScored.com take a look at the excellent recent form of Korey Smith, and how the midfielder can play a key role in Swansea City's clash with Barnsley.

Following their progression to the fourth round of the FA Cup at the expense of Stevenage, attention turns back to the league as Swansea City seek to maintain their promotion push. The Swans come into the trip to Barnsley second in the table, four points behind Norwich, and will look to keep their place in the automatic promotion spots this weekend.

A 2-1 win over fellow promotion hopefuls Watford was a fine result and it means Swansea are now unbeaten in their last four, winning three. However, while they sit nine points clear of Saturday's opponents, Barnsley are not to be underestimated, particularly on home turf.

The Tykes have won their last three home league outings and boast one of the better home records in the Championship having picked up 20 points from 11 matches at Oakwell in 2020-21. That said, Swansea boast a fine record against Barsnley and are unbeaten in the last 12 meetings between the pair, winning six, and come into Saturday's clash with a spring in their step.

The 2-1 win over Watford was certainly a statement of intent by the Swans, and while Jamal Lowe came away from the victory over the Hornets with the man-of-the-match award having earned a WhoScored.com rating of 8.56, Korey Smith was another deserving the plaudits following the narrow triumph.

Smith came away from the clash with a WhoScored.com rating of 7.87, that marking his best-rated performance in a Swansea shirt following his summer arrival, and with the confidence that came from such an impressive showing, he'll look to following that fine outing with another superb display from the middle of the park against Barnsley.

The 29-year-old played no part in the reverse fixture, which saw Swansea come away as 2-0 victors last month, so will be keen to make up for lost time and play his part in the Swans' push for another three points.

Head coach Steve Cooper has given Smith licence to get forward from his midfield role in the favoured 3-4-1-2 setup, and it's in this position that the former Bristol City man can maximise a statistaically calculated WhoScored.com strength of 'through balls'.

Given the WhoScored.com match forecast suggests it is very likely that Swansea 'will steal the ball from the opposition often', if the Swans can win the ball high up the pitch, then Smith will be able to utilise this quality to his game to pry apart the Barnsley backline and create chances for Lowe and Andre Ayew.

In the home ranks, there is plenty of pressure on the shoulders of Herbie Kane to keep Smith quiet in Saturday's evening kick-off. The 22-year-old has rarely featured for Barnsley this term, but is expected to earn more playing time between now and the end of the season after Matty James left the Tykes for Coventry.

Kane is still chipping in with a commendable 2.4 tackles per 90 minutes in the Championship this season to reinforce a WhoScored.com style of play of 'likes to tackle' and he'll need to be at his ball-winning best to ensure Smith is unable to split open the Barnsley backline to assist the frontmen.

However, given Smith's performance against Watford, Swansea will feel they have the momentum and the means to pick up another valuable three points.

SmithSwansea.png

Jinxy said:
Is this part of our ST viewing package, anyone - please?

Edit: ah yes I see, "dark market" only. Shame.

£10 on NOW tv.

Really fancy the way Barnsley are playing and likely to approach this is gonna suit us . An open game and not having to break down a defensive wall in Barnsley. They will fancy it and that'll do for me. As long as we are "at it" only 1 winner for me.
3-1 away win.

Coventry City v Swansea City

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Back