• ***IMPORTANT*** SOME PASSWORDS NOT WORKING

There has been some issues with user passwords. Some users may need to reset their passwords to login to the forum. Please use the password reset option when logging in. If you do experience issues and find our account is locked then please email admin@jackarmy.net Thanks

Season 20/21: The Official Swansea City v Watford Match Thread

What will the result be against Watford?

• Swans win

Votes: 20 57.1%
  • Draw

Votes: 10 28.6%
  • Watford win

Votes: 5 14.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Swans-20-21-Programme-Issue-12-Web-V01.jpg

Download your free copy of the official match programme here

You can check out the latest free digital matchday programme of the season as Swansea City host Watford at the Liberty Stadium on Saturday.

The 12th Jack Magazine of the 2020-21 campaign includes the usual head coach and captain’s notes, plus features from the first team and around the club.

We have a feature interview with Jake Bidwell as the wing-back reflects on his excellent form this season, reveals how he was signed by Everton as a goalkeeper before moving back outfield, and talks about what it’s like to live next door to Connor Roberts.

We also take a look back at a century in the Football League for the Swans, and bring you the latest news from our academy set-up.

We also bring you all the information on our opponents, and look back at some classic festive fixtures involving the Swans.

We will also be embedding some video features within the programme, including match highlights and player features.

Wilmot: “Everyone Is Smiling Again”

Source: Watford Official Site

Ben Wilmot confirmed the feel-good factor has returned following the uplifting win over league leaders Norwich City and that the scenes afterwards in the changing room reminded some players of the celebrations following one of the club's most famous wins.

The Golden Boys played with a new-found intensity and energy in the 1-0 win over the Canaries on Boxing Day and the mood in the bowels of the Sir Elton John Stand afterwards was reflective of the togetherness and the enjoyment generated during that Championship game.

“It was a massive win,” said Wilmot in part of an interview to be shown on Hive Live before the Swansea game. “It was a big game for us as we needed to win to stay in and around the top two or three. It helped the morale and everyone was buzzing afterwards. One or two of the lads said they had not seen the changing room like it since they beat Wolves in the FA Cup semi-final. It was a big win for morale and league position.

“Everyone is smiling again and enjoying their football and looking forward to training. The place has been lifted since that first meeting [by new Head Coach Xisco Muñoz]. He made everyone laugh and smile and the place flipped on its head. It was exactly what we needed. You can see that in the way we played against Norwich and after the game.”

Wilmot produced the performance of his Watford career on Boxing Day. He was commanding at the heart of the defence, winning his headers and tackles as well as showcasing his smooth range of passing. He can therefore return on Saturday to Swansea, the club where he spent last season on loan, in very good spirits.

“I loved it there and am looking forward to going back,” he said. “It's a shame there won't be any fans as I might get an alright reception, but I'm looking forward to seeing everybody and a few familiar faces. It will be a good game of football with the way they play and the way we play now.”

Wilmot has hero status at the Liberty Stadium after his goal in October secured the Swans the bragging rights in the South Wales derby for the first time in five years. He's still in a group chat with the players and will be able to advise Muñoz on their strengths and weaknesses.

“They'll play out and pass the ball all the time,” said the 20-year-old. “There is no other option and that's how they train and play. It's a nice style to watch and difficult to play against. Them and Brentford are the only two teams to really play like that so it will be fairly new to us, but similar to Premier League football for a lot of the lads. They've got the best defensive record in the league so scoring goals will be tough. It will be a difficult game as they are in the position they are for a reason, but I'm really looking forward to it.”

Willmott.jpg

Matchday Mascots

The virtual mascots for the game against Watford are 8 year old Jack Brown from Swansea and 10 year old Rhys Brown from Hong Kong.

Their favourite players are Freddie Woodman and Andre Ayew respectively

View attachment Mascots.jpg

In the opposition dugout

Xisco 2.jpg

Xisco Munoz

This week's Watford manager is Xisco Munoz - he is their 6th manager in the last 3 years (if you discount the two caretaker stints of Haydn Mullins) and incredibly only one of Watford's last 11 managers has lasted longer than 40 games in charge.

"I am very happy to be here,” he said. “This is a good chance at a very good club. We have everything and now is the moment to start work.

"I want to enjoy the situation. I am happy and I want to start work with the guys. I feel very good. We have very good players, we have good support from the fans and I can't wait to start" he said upon his appointment.

He played 194 matches and scored 20 goals over nine seasons in La Liga. He spent four seasons at Betis, and also played for Valencia, Tenerife, Recreativo and Levante, winning the 2004 UEFA Cup with Valencia. Starting in 2011, Xisco spent four years in Georgia with Dinamo Tbilisi.

His only managerial role before the Watford appointment was back in Tbilisi with Dymano but eleven games later he took the seeming poisoned chalice that is the manager's role at Vicarage Road.

Watford's managerial changes

Javi Gracia was replaced in September 2019 by Quique Sanchez Flores, who was returning for a second spell in charge.

Flores lost his job after picking up just two wins in 12 matches, and with the club bottom of the Premier League, Nigel Pearson took over in December.

He pulled Watford out of the relegation zone, and they also inflicted a first league defeat of the season on eventual runaway champions Liverpool, 3-0 at Vicarage Road on 29 February.

But Pearson was sacked after losing 3-1 at West Ham with the club still three points above the drop with two games to go.

Under caretaker manager Hayden Mullins, the Hornets then lost their last two games, to be relegated back to the Championship after five seasons in the top flight.

Since Watford's Italian owners the Pozzo family, who also own Udinese and Granada, took control of the club in June 2012, there have been 13 changes of manager.

Xisco.jpg

Blast from the past
Swansea City 1 Watford 3
6th February 1983
Football League Division One

View attachment Luther Blissett.jpg

Football on a Sunday comes to Wales

It seems strange to think now that there was a time when football was not played on a Sunday. The Swans game with Watford in February 1983 was the first league game in Wales to be played on a Sunday and only the second time a top flight game had been played on a Sunday (the first being a game nine years earlier between Stoke and Chelsea at the Victoria ground)

But it wasn’t always the case. In fact, there was a time when football was illegal on a Sunday. Back in those days, Britain was under the laws of the Sunday Observance Act 1780. The Act prohibited admission to a building on a Sunday for payment. In fact, the Act stated:

‘any house, room, or other place opened for public entertainment or amusement, or for public debating on any subject whatsoever, on a Sunday, and to which persons shall be admitted, or for public debating on any subject whatsoever, on a Sunday, and to which persons shall be admitted by payment of money or by tickets sold for money, shall be deemed a disorderly house or place.’

The fine for breaking the law was £200. When you consider the Act was passed in 1780, this amount would have been far higher in 1974.

Scan-124.jpeg

January 1974 saw some FA Cup ties played on a Sunday, and later that month was the first recorded League match taking place on a Sunday. Britain was under industrial strife at the time. In late 1973 there was an energy crisis caused by Arab members of OPEC. They were refusing to send oil to western nations who had supported Israel in the Yom Kippur War that year.

The situation was exacerbated when miners seized their opportunity to bring the country to its knees and went on strike at the beginning of 1974. As supplies were low, many clubs looked to alter their kick-off times so they didn’t need to use floodlights. The idea of playing on Sundays was then suggested as earlier kick-off times for other days had not been popular.

The Swans came to be league trailblazers in 1983 when Watford agreed to a 24 hour postponement of the game to avoid a clash with the rugby international the day before between Wales and England (the game ended 13-13)

As John Toshack noted in his programme notes for the game, this match had special significance for both clubs as well as him personally. Just five years earlier Toshack had made his managerial bow at the Vetch in a 3-3 draw with Watford with both sides in the fourth division and here they were five years later competing in a first division encounter (Watford ended the day 3rd with the Swans 19th)

The Swans went ahead in the match when former Everton striker Bob Latchford netted on 27 minutes but it was a false dawn for the Swans when Watford scored three times in the second half. Luther Blissett scored the first on 56 minutes whilst John Barnes punished a poor back pass to give the visitors the lead on 81 minutes. Blissett added a third right at the end to secured the points for the visitors.

The Watford side of course included Welsh international Kenny Jackett who would go onto manage the Swans almost leading them to back to back promotions in 2005 and 2006

Jackett.jpg

SWANS: Davies, Robinson, Marustik, Charles, Stevenson, Rajkovic, Curtis, James, Gale, Kennedy, Latchford Sub: Stanley (for Charles 64)

WATFORD: Sherwood, Rice, Rostron, Taylorm Sims, Bolton, Callaghan, Blissett, Barnes, Jackett, Lohman Sub: Jobson

Referee: Neville Ashley (Cheshire) Attendance, 14,461

Sources:
The Pink Un - We’re closed on Sundays: How football on a Sunday began in England

Old Watford - Swansea 1 Watford 3

Hello again. Happy and Healthy New Year.

Have produced a match preview for your match tomorrow.

Please feel free to visit same at www.footballcities.co.uk and click on the Facebook link.

Good luck and enjoy the match.

A NEW YEAR, BUT THE SAME GOAL FOR STEVE COOPER AND SWANSEA CITY

Source: Swansea Official Site

It may be a new year, but the goal remains the same for Steve Cooper and his Swansea City squad as they prepare to open 2021 against Watford this afternoon.

The Swans ended 2020 sitting third in the Championship table, having reached the play-offs at the tail-end of the previous campaign.

Their form made them one of the division’s top performers over the course of the calendar year, and they are firmly in among the promotion hopefuls as the season reaches its halfway stage with the meeting against Xisco Munoz’s Hornets.

Head coach Cooper is not getting carried away, knowing there is an awful lot of football still to be played before anything is decided.

But he acknowledges that the goal – without putting a timescale on it – will always be to get the Swans back to the Premier League.

“This is definitely a time to look forward,” said Cooper as he reflected on 2020 and looked towards the 12 months ahead.

“It’s not been a great year in terms of what has gone on in the world and in the UK, particularly in Wales and Swansea.

“We have been as impacted as much as anybody, and it’s about sticking together as a community to get through this tough time.

“In terms of the football, we are generally pleased with the progress. We feel we are on a journey to where we want to end up, without putting a timescale on it.

“We know there is still a long way to go, but we will continue with our work, we will commit to that and commit to working with young players and doing it our way.

“We will be as competitive as we can in the Championship and try and get back to the Premier League, who knows when that might be but that will always be the aim.

“We don’t want to look too far ahead. We have seen how quickly things can change. We have had things go for and against us, but the thing is to believe in what we are doing.

“It’s a fantastic set of lads and a brilliant club to work for.”

Steve%20Cooper%20Reading.jpg

Muñoz: “We’re Happy When We See Players Give Everything”

Source: Watford Official Site

Xisco Muñoz can empathise with the playing squad at Watford and understand the challenges of the modern game, having only retired himself less than five years ago.

The Head Coach’s encouragement and support was evident throughout the Boxing Day victory against Norwich City and he says this stems from his positive philosophy.

“I think it’s very important [to be supportive on the sidelines], because I know what is difficult when you are in the team,” said Muñoz.

“When you are in the team, everything is faster, and you can take decisions and I think the players who want more give good actions. It is important to give them support every time.

“This is my philosophy, every time I work like this. I also make mistakes; these are normal in life, it’s important to continue, try to repair your mistakes and every time you grow.”

Heading into his second match in charge at Swansea City, Muñoz already feels part of the team and his priority is to see complete commitment and energy in his players’ performances.

“It’s perfect for me, this connection with the guys. I think it’s a good connection because a short time ago I was in the same place as them. I know what is difficult, trying to take the points, every day working hard,” said the Head Coach.

“I stay on their side and know that three points is very important for us and they work really hard and give everything. The way is long, it’s important to say to the guys when they work hard and give good things for the team.

“It’s normal that when we see they give everything, everyone at the club is happy. First of all, our fans, when you feel the player gives their maximum, I think everyone is happy.”

Muñoz is prepared for the test Steve Cooper’s high-flying Swansea will pose, with the league’s best defensive record and danger men up top, but is aiming to take all three points from South Wales.

“I know it's a difficult team, I saw their game [0-0 v Reading] and they have a good intensity and very good things in attack,” he said.

“We know exactly what we need, we have our plan, and we try [to implement it]. All the games are difficult, we know we have a strong team, we need to continue winning.”

201230-Training-9067-featured_image.jpg

Hopefully we'll be better prepared for the heavy pitch. Looking forward to this one - a good test for us. Feeling positive today, 2-0 to the Swans. There, I said it.

I'd happily have a draw in this one. Another clean sheet would be really peachy.

A win would be amazebollocks.

W had some fabulous games with Watford as we went through the divisions together in the late 70s, and I have had a soft spot for them since, and even liked 'do I not like that' Graham Taylor. It was like the clubs were bound together. I particularly remember some high scoring efforts and some weird moments. I remember Kev Moore scoring by blocking a clearance from a defender and the ball looping 20 yards back over the goalies head when we won 2-0 up there in our Division 3 promotion season, and (again up there) Luther Blissett missing a penalty by hitting the bar so hard that the ball rebounded to near halfway in our first division relegation season (we lost 2-1). Plus of course, Curt scoring with an awful penalty (rolled down the middle, thank God the keeper didn't just stand there) on his first game back in our promotion season to Div 1. Feels like a different lifetime.

I've got a feeling we will lose today.

Its an educated guess as we have had 3 days rest whereas they have had 7.

They beat norwich last time out, also cooper will put out a similar side to wednesday.

I hope and pray that I am proved totally wrong.

Coventry City v Swansea City

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Back