• ***IMPORTANT*** SOME PASSWORDS NOT WORKING

There has been some issues with user passwords. Some users may need to reset their passwords to login to the forum. Please use the password reset option when logging in. If you do experience issues and find our account is locked then please email admin@jackarmy.net Thanks

Season 20/21: The Swansea City v Brentford Match Thread

What will the result be against Brentford?

• Swans win

Votes: 22 52.4%
  • Draw

Votes: 16 38.1%
  • Brentford win

Votes: 4 9.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
STEVE COOPER | COMPETITION IS A GOOD THING, AND WE'VE GOT THAT

Source: Swansea Official Site

Steve Cooper feels Swansea City’s strong run of form is bring driven by an intense competition for places that has only increased with a trio of January signings.

The Swans head into Wednesday’s clash with Brentford on a seven-match unbeaten run, and having gone 10 games without defeat at the Liberty.

Cooper has also added to his squad this month with goalkeeper Ben Hamer, midfielder Conor Hourihane and forward Jordan Morris all joining the Swans.

And the head coach believes adding players of such experience and quality is only going to intensify the fight for regular starting roles, and continue to drive standards among the group.

“I think any of the boys not in the starting line-up or not in the squad, they are always fighting,” said Cooper.

“It’s the same for the boys in the team and the squad, they are fighting to stay in there.

“It’s not just in the forward positions, where we have signed Jordan, we have a number of good players that, if they are not starting in one game, are more than capable of starting and being involved in the next one.

"You just look at the weekend with Wayne Routledge and Liam Cullen played, and we also have Andre (Ayew) and Jamal (Lowe) in addition to Jordan.

“We have options, and I think that is healthy, especially with this schedule as you are probably going to need more than the normal-sized core of players.

“The more strength in depth we can have is the better, so competition for places is a good thing and we feel we have that in a number of positions.”

Steve%20Cooper%20Middlesbrough.jpg

I’ve had no love for Brentford since almost getting the crap kicked out of me by a dozen of them at the roundabout just up from their old ground. Luckily one of them pulled the ringleader off (Ooh errr missus) and as I jumped into the car they walked into the wrong group of Jacks round the corner and looked like they were taking a pasting. Didn’t stop one of them leaving a dent in the car door on their way off.

That said, their manager doesn’t help either.

AndyNak said:
I’ve had no love for Brentford since almost getting the crap kicked out of me by a dozen of them at the roundabout just up from their old ground. Luckily one of them pulled the ringleader off (Ooh errr missus) and as I jumped into the car they walked into the wrong group of Jacks round the corner and looked like they were taking a pasting. Didn’t stop one of them leaving a dent in the car door on their way off.

That said, their manager doesn’t help either.

Other than that was it a good night out? :lol:

MATT GRIMES | WHAT'S GONE BEFORE DOES NOT MATTER, IT'S ABOUT PERFORMING NOW

Matt Grimes says recent history will count for nothing when Swansea City host Brentford at the Liberty Stadium on Wednesday night (7pm).

Two of the Championship’s top four will lock horns in SA1, with the Swans’ run of good form going up against a Bees’ outfit who are unbeaten in 16 Championship games.

The sides have been familiar foes in recent seasons, having played each other eight times since the start of December 2018.

They have been evenly-matched over those games; the Swans have four wins to Brentford’s three, with the most recent meeting ending in a draw in west London earlier this season.

There have been 27 goals scored in those games, with the Swans accounting for 14 of them, but it was Brentford who came out on top when the teams faced each other in the play-offs at the end of last season.

But Swansea captain Grimes – fresh from scoring the first brace of his senior career in the FA Cup win over Nottingham Forest – has been around long enough to know that it will be performance on the night that matters most.

“I don’t think it’s a case of looking at what results there have been before, that’s not going to help anyone once the whistle goes,” he said.

“They have been in good form, and so have we, but it’s about that focus on what is coming next.

“I know people might be bored of hearing it, but it is absolutely the case. You can’t think about what has happened, or what might happen.

“It’s about this one game, anything else can be dealt with after that, because it’s only through focusing on the task right now that you give yourself the best chance to perform.

“We’re at home, we’ve had a good run here and the way we have kept that going is by taking nothing for granted and making sure we prepare well for every game.

“This is no different.”

Matt%20Grimes%20Forest.jpg

THOMAS THE FRANK ENGINE Brentford boss is driven by last season’s Wembley heartache in fresh bid to take the Bees into the Premier League

Source: The Sun

HAD it not been for sod’s law Thomas Frank would have been meeting Brendan Rodgers this weekend as a Premier League equal.

But if the Dane eventually does lead Brentford into the Premier League, it will be a fairytale to rival Leicester’s 2016 title triumph.

The heartbreak of losing to Fulham in August’s Championship play-off final still rankles slightly.

Frank sighs: “As Brentford manager, I’ve faced Fulham four times, kept clean sheets in 90 minutes in every game and beaten them on three occasions.

“And yet Joe Bryan scores their only goals against us in the space of 12 extra-time minutes at Wembley with a wonder strike and from a mistake. It’s the fine margins of football.”

It is also the law of sod, Thomas.

After an incredible eight-match winning streak where they swept aside all-comers including Fulham, they lost both their final league games against struggling Stoke and Barnsley. Victory in either would have seen them promoted automatically.

But that pain has driven Brentford this season.

They have not lost a Championship match since October and their Carabao Cup semi-final exit against Tottenham was the only reverse in their last 19 matches in all competitions.

Beating Leicester will be their FIFTH Premier League scalp this season, having already defeated Southampton, West Brom, Fulham and Newcastle in that cup run.

Frank said: “We’ve learned from the finest of margins that went against us last season. Did you know we lost nine games 1-0? It’s crazy.

“There were one or two we deserved to lose but the rest we should’ve won or drawn.

“This season we’re managed to win tight games or at least drawn them because every player has improved.

“Keeper David Raya learned from his mistake at Millwall last season for example that cost us the game 1-0.

“Defenders Pontus Jansson and Henrik Dalsgaard, despite all their experience, have become even better leaders.

“Ethan Pinnock and Rico Henry did amazing for us in their first season at Championship level – but have upped it further.

“Mathias Jensen and Josh Da Silva – better decisions, better defensively.

“Bryan Mbeumo hasn’t scored as many goals so far but has lost the ball less and is getting more assists. Sergi Canos has also grown.”

The famous BMW frontline last season of Ollie Watkins, Said Benrahma and Mbeumo plundered a staggering 57 goals between them.

But when 25-goal Watkins was sold to Aston Villa for £33million and 17-goal Benrahma got loaned to West Ham, many feared for Brentford’s chances of mounting a serious challenge this time round.

Yet the West Londoners responded by doing what they do best – unearthing another gem in Ivan Toney.

The striker, signed from Peterborough for £5million, already has 16 league goals after 23 games.

And he is on course to become the third Bees striker to hit 25 goals in consecutive seasons following Watkins and Neal Maupay before him.

Frank said: “It’s not easy for a player to just step into a team like that. It requires a lot of team work.

“Can you name me a club that has produced three different 25-goals-a-season strikers in consecutive years? I can’t off the top of my head.

“He only needs nine goals and I’m confident he’ll do that.

“His movement and finishing inside the box is great. The link-up play is really good. He has a good eye for his team-mates.

“His hold up play in terms of his physicality is top drawer.

“He just needs to do a little bit more work on the link-up, finishing and pressing, which has been so much better since he came here. He just needs to do that consistently.”

Asked if he believes Toney will follow the man he has replaced, Watkins, into the top flight, Frank answered: “Yes, 100 per cent.

“Of course, they’re slightly different. Ivan’s heading and positioning in the box is better. Ollie has a bit more pace to run in behind while Ivan can hold and link up a bit more.

“Ivan will be in the Premier League in the future. Hopefully that’ll be with us.”

But particularly impressive since Frank took over from Dean Smith in October 2018 has been how much better Brentford are defensively.

They have had to rely on that this season with fewer goals being scored, which was inevitable after losing two of the best forward players in the division.

The Dane, who won the SkyBet Championship manager of the month award for December, said: “We have a massive solidness and are difficult to play against.

“We’re adding more free-flowing football again, which we have missed. That is one thing I haven’t been happy with but we’re getting closer to where we want to be with that.”

Brentford’s climb from mid-table League Two fodder to the brink of Premier League football has been startling – and they generally have a knack of recruiting the right managers at the right times as well as players.

Andy Scott got them out of the bottom division, Mark Warburton took them into the Championship and almost the top flight, Dean Smith steadily improved the squad while Frank has been a resounding success since he took over.

So what achievement does Frank rank as the highest at Brentford?

He said: “The culture. We have this unique togetherness where you can see that everything’s aligned from top to bottom – from the staff, players and me to the board and owner.

“We’re all good people who work in the same direction. We have this attitude, believe in ourselves and are humble.

“If you’re not humble, someone will run past you.

“We also work extremely hard because you achieve nothing otherwise.

“You must perform every day and that performance comes on and off the training pitch.

“These bits are extremely important.

“Beside that is our style of play where we’re clear in how we want to do it.

“That added together and consistency reaps great results.

“Maybe we didn’t have the margins with us last year but if we keep doing this the scoreboard will take care of itself.”

c2ac3b9f-15e0-4c41-b75d-b72fe77586f1-1.jpg

eteb said:
millwall 0-0 watford

decent result for us

Very helpful result it has to be said - now let's capitalise on that tonight

"THE TEAM HAVE BEEN CLEVERER IN CERTAIN SITUATIONS AND MORE DIFFICULT TO BEAT"

Source: Brentford Official Site

It's second vs fourth in the Sky Bet Championship tomorrow night in South Wales as we make the trip to Swansea City. Ahead of our game at The Liberty Stadium, Thomas Frank spoke to the press to preview a big night of Championship football.

Thomas on the latest Team News

All good and available for selection from the weekend.

Thomas on our midfield options ...

Last year we had five good midfielders available all of the time, this year we had six but are down to three. We’ve had to convert Saman Ghoddos into a midfielder; I knew he could play there when we signed him but he was like a winger-midfielder. We have Emiliano Marcondes, Shandon Baptiste, and Christian Norgaard out, which is a lot. I really hope Emi and Christian are back for us soon.

Thomas on Christian Norgaard ...

I spoke to him again today and he looked fit and strong. He is still not with the group but with our Head of Performance with a ball involved, twisting and turning, which looked good. He was involved in the coaching meeting about Swansea City and there was a smile on his face so he’s in a good place. I really look forward to when he is back with the team and able to help us. He will be like a new signing when he comes back. It will bring extra positivity and energy to the group. We look forward to welcoming him back soon hopefully.

Thomas on the season so far ...

Last year it took us longer to get up to speed than this year. It is a slightly different team but in the same vision and style of play. As a whole the team, the squad, and the Club is a year more experienced and I would say we are in a slightly better place, with a massive focus on the next game still.

Thomas on our unbeaten league run ...

We won nine games at the end of last season which was remarkable but last season we didn’t have that long run of unbeaten games like we do now. The team have been cleverer in certain situations and more difficult to beat. That is of course massive for us.

Thomas on The Swans ...

I think Swansea City have done very well this season especially since they changed to their new 3-5-2 system. They are very well coached and drilled by Steve Cooper; they know exactly what they want offensively and defensively. With their wing-backs they are difficult to close down so they deliver a lot of crosses. They have Jamal Lowe and Andre Ayew who can get on the end of those crosses.

The most impressive though is their defensive record; they have conceded by far the fewest goals. We know it is very difficult break through a back five with three midfielders in front. They have defensive discipline and know 100 per cent what they want to do. It’s two teams who want to dominate and take control so we’re looking forward to a top match against a very strong opponent.

Thomas on Steve Cooper ...

We’ve definitely had a similar path with starting in academies and then coaching our national teams at Under-17 level. I have the biggest respect for Steve Cooper and his coaching staff. Steve is one of the coaches I speak to once in a while. I wish him all the best, just not tomorrow!

Thomas on the heavy fixture schedule ...

To be fair, I don’t think it makes a difference. We played every Saturday, midweek, Saturday since the start of the season and then we had one week off because the training ground was closed. We are used to it and we have a strategy for it. Hopefully we continue with that.

As this game is a re-arranged Saturday afternoon fixture, there is no VIP access for Season Ticket Holders and Premium Seat Members and the game is not on the Sky Sports red button.

The only way to give us your support for this crucial clash is with a £10 Match Pass (£7 international fans)

Large

TALKING TACTICS | SWANSEA CITY V BRENTFORD

Football stats expert WhoScored.com take a look at the form of Connor Roberts, and analyse why he could prove to be a key figure in Swansea City's clash with Brentford.

Swansea City romped to a 5-1 win over Championship rivals Nottingham Forest on Saturday afternoon to book their spot in the next round of the FA Cup, setting up a meeting with Premier League powerhouse Manchester City in the process. However, the Swans focus will now be all on their clash with promotion rivals Brentford.

The Bees sit just two points behind Swansea ahead of Wednesday's clash and have a game in hand over Steve Cooper's side. Brentford come into the game on a 16-game unbeaten league run which has pushed them into contention for an automatic promotion finish, while their 21 points picked up on the road is the third best in the league at the time of writing.

However, their recent form at the Liberty Stadium hasn't been great, which bodes well for the Swans. Indeed, Swansea have won five of their last six home meetings with the Bees, netting 12 times in the process.

And, while Brentford have impressed on the road, Swansea's home form is a key reason for their push up the table. Only two teams have earned more points on home turf than Cooper's side (25) in the Championship this season and, coupled with their recent meetings with Brentford in south Wales, they'll be targeting another three points in midweek.

With the decision to field a three-man defence and wing-backs paying off for Swansea, Connor Roberts and Jake Bidwell have the means to maintain their good form in the final third against the Bees.

The WhoScored.com match forecast suggests it is Very Likely that Swansea 'will score from a wingplay situation' and with Roberts coming into the clash on the back of some solid performances, the Wales international will seek to add to his five assists this season.

Roberts is already enjoying his most prolific campaign to date, with his tally of five assists among the best in the Championship. Boasting a statistically calculated WhoScored.com strength of 'key passes', he has the means to really test a Brentford defence that has conceded in each of their last three away league matches.

Of course, the Bees are not to be underestimated even with their poor record at Swansea in recent seasons, and left-back Rico Henry could be a key figure for them in midweek.

Henry is set to be the man tasked with ensuring Swansea enjoy little success down the right flank and, boasting a WhoScored.com strength of 'concentration', the left-back knows how to keep his composure in order to limit Roberts' influence down the Swans' right.

Yet the Wales international is enjoying arguably his best season to date and will be looking to prolong his good run against the Bees on Wednesday night, in what supporters are hoping will result in another three points in a crunch contest.

RobertsSwansea.png

Latest Top 10 after last night's results

Watford move into 2nd place by one point but having played two games more.

A win tonight will make this look superb, a draw clearly enough to move us back into 2nd place.

Tonight is one of those where the Liberty would be packed out :(

View attachment Updated Top 10.jpg

I haven’t been as nervous and excited about a game in equal measure for a long time.

Tonight is huge.

A win could give everyone the belief that we can get promotion through the autos this season. In fact, win tonight and we should be starting to look towards catching Norwich rather than looking behind us.

HOT OFF THE PRESS: SWANSEA CITY

Source: Brentford Official Site

While Swansea were outside the Championship play-offs at the same point last season, they are second in the going into this game. How nice is it to be able to attack the second half in this much healthier position?

It’s brilliant and I think it’s not only testament to the work they did after the lockdown in the transfer window, but also to how well they’ve performed in the first half of the season. There’s been a clear improvement throughout the whole time Steve Cooper has been at the club and you can see they are a club who’ve slowly built, added bits here and there. The squad is certainly a lot more rounded than it was at the same point last season, even with the departures of the likes of Joe Rodon, Mike van der Hoorn, Bersant Celina. They lost a lot of players once again, which is the case when you drop out of the Premier League, and Swansea are in their third season in the Championship now.

They recruited excellently to fill those gaps and make sure there is depth in pretty much every position, so even when there have been a few injuries and they’ve had to rotate because of a busy schedule, they have still performed well. Players have just slotted in and it has lifted them from that edge of the play-offs bracket, where they were last season, to being serious contenders, not only for the top six but for a top two place now as well.

The defensive record this season has been second to none, seven clean sheets in the last nine games and just 13 goals conceded in 24 league games – 14 less than last term. What’s that improvement down to?

It’s interesting because, from set-plays, Swansea were the worst in the division under Graham Potter in their first year in the Championship and then that was something Cooper and his coaching staff recognised that needed to change. They were the best in that regard last season, in terms of defending set-pieces, so that has played an enormous part. With the squad rotation in defence, they were a little bit thin in 2018/19 and even at times last season as well, whereas now they are far more established.

Ryan Bennett (pictured above) is a very experienced player and when he plays, you know exactly what you are going to get from him – he’s been a phenomenal signing. Either side of him have, generally, been youngsters in Ben Cabango and Marc Guehi, who are among the best centre-backs in the league. Even when there have been issues with them, they’ve rotated to bring in Kyle Naughton and Joel Latibeaudiere so, all of a sudden, there’s an awful lot of depth in that those back three positions. Let’s not forget the wing-backs, either. As much as Jake Bidwell and Connor Roberts have done a lot of getting forward and putting crosses into the box, they still do their shift defensively, as do the midfield men. The defence is very strong, but it’s a real collective effort with defence now.

Ben Hamer, Conor Hourihane and Jordan Morris have joined from Huddersfield, Aston Villa and Seattle Sounders respectively this month. What have you made of their business and do you expect anymore?

They lost three on-loan players who were recalled by the parent clubs in Morgan Gibbs-White, Kasey Palmer and Victor Gyokeres, so they had to do some business this month to supplement the squad more than anything else. Second-choice goalkeeper Steven Benda then suffered an ankle injury that will keep him out for several months as well, so that instantly became a big issue. There was quite a lot to solve and they’ve done a lot of that already, which is hugely encouraging. They brought in Hamer on a permanent deal so he’ll be the No 2 for the rest of the season behind Freddie Woodman and then, in terms of the outfield players, they’ve brought in Hourihane on loan for the rest of the season, which I personally think is a superb piece of business as he’s operated above this level and has done brilliantly at this level as well. He made his debut against Nottingham Forest at the weekend and he was only on the pitch for an hour but showed his class from set-pieces.

Morris is a bit of an unknown quantity on these shores, but he arrives with a great goalscoring record in the MLS and with the American national team, too. He’s got blistering pace, can cover a range of positions in the final third and I think he’s there to supplement the attack when Ayew and Lowe aren’t firing or need a bit of a rest. I think there’s still potential for a few more deals to be done; maybe one more incoming and a couple of fringe players heading out on loan towards the end of the window.

It took some time for Jamal Lowe to get among the goals since his move from Wigan, but he’s a man in form right now, with seven goals in his last seven league games. What have you made of his development?

It’s credit to not only him but to the coaching staff for sticking by him and giving him the confidence as well because there were certain games earlier on in the season where he’d only scored two goals and had missed a few really good chances, which he admitted himself in an interview at the end of last year. Norwich away was a prime example where they could’ve got something out of the game but they ended up losing because he missed a really good chance.

But they stuck by him and knew he had the ability and he’s really shown that since that game at Cardiff where he scored two goals, one of which was a poacher’s finish - which was great for him as an inverted winger – and the second was just a sublime individual goal, where he beat a couple of men and finished from the edge of the box. To do that against the rivals was great for the fans but it’s also evident that it has given him an enormous lift. It’s not just the goals, though; his work-rate is phenomenal, as is his link-up play in the final third. Confidence is flowing through him and he’s probably one of the form players in the league right now.

How is Steve Cooper likely to set up his side at the Brentford Community Stadium?

It should be the same as it has been all season, which is a 3-5-2. A rough line-up would be: Woodman, Cabango, Bennett, Guehi, Roberts, Bidwell, Grimes, Hourihane, Fulton, Lowe, Ayew.

A goal from Andre Ayew earned a point for the Swans in a 1-1 draw west London in November – a result you correctly predicted. What’s your score prediction this time around?

For once, I think certain factors have gone in Swansea’s favour, with Brentford having played Leicester a day later. I know they made a lot of changes but it’s not ideal for them having to travel, on top of having played Luton last week, when Swansea had a game called off against Blackburn. I think this could give Swansea a bit of an edge and I’m going to back them, so I’ll go for a 2-1 home win.

Large

Coventry City v Swansea City

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Back