• ***IMPORTANT*** SOME PASSWORDS NOT WORKING

There has been some issues with user passwords. Some users may need to reset their passwords to login to the forum. Please use the password reset option when logging in. If you do experience issues and find our account is locked then please email admin@jackarmy.net Thanks

Second hand Cars.

Lifelong

Alan Waddle
Reaction score
Looking to change my 12 year old Land Rover Freelander, been around a few of the main dealers and the prices of cars 2 or 3 years old is just crazy.

I appreciate that car dealers have to make a profit but some of them are asking 5 or 6 grand more than what a car is worth.

Also looked at this PCP nonsense which seems a complete rip off, I think my 12 year old Land Rover is here to stay.

Some nearly new cars are selling for considerably more than the brand new price because of a shortage and hence long waiting lists for new ones.

J_B said:
Some nearly new cars are selling for considerably more than the brand new price because of a shortage and hence long waiting lists for new ones.

What I’ve noticed in the main dealers is that the new cars on display, in the showrooms,are the one’s they are actually selling.

I've always felt that the fewer visit to those sharks the better. I buy quality and aim to keep for 10 years. Love the challenges it presents too!

There’s a global semiconductor shortage, Rog.

Vehicle manufacturers cannot build to demand and the lead time for some of the more obscure specs are nine months or more. Some folk are not prepared to wait this length of time for their new car and are turning to nearly new instead, hence it becoming a case of supply and demand.

January looks like it'll be a bit easier buying wise. I work in the car trade and prices are coming down after increasing ridiculously throughout the year. Best example is the Land Rover Defender, 50kish for basic new price, selling for £63k+ in the past few months at six months old. Bought a three month old Ford Kuga which was worth £21k and at the same age it is now worth £28k, bonkers...

Car prices went down 1.2% last month and look the same ready for January so there are deals. Best advice is to take advantage of deposit contributions if going down PCP, haggle like hell, and always buy under the trade guide price. So buy under cap clean, there are bargains out there just get the part exchange valuations on the new car when searching.

A4Jack said:
January looks like it'll be a bit easier buying wise. I work in the car trade and prices are coming down after increasing ridiculously throughout the year. Best example is the Land Rover Defender, 50kish for basic new price, selling for £63k+ in the past few months at six months old. Bought a three month old Ford Kuga which was worth £21k and at the same age it is now worth £28k, bonkers...

Car prices went down 1.2% last month and look the same ready for January so there are deals. Best advice is to take advantage of deposit contributions if going down PCP, haggle like hell, and always buy under the trade guide price. So buy under cap clean, there are bargains out there just get the part exchange valuations on the new car when searching.

Can I ask you a question? Hoe you don’t mind.

Got a car I was considering selling via Motorway. It’s a 5 year old Focus in excellent condition with the exception of a crease which was caused when a gust of wind blew another car door which my son was opening in to the car. Is it worth me getting the damage fixed and selling or am I better off just putting it up for sale as is and letting a “dealer” get it fixed as they will get it done at trade rates?

Thanks

MajorR said:
A4Jack said:

Got a car I was considering selling via Motorway. It’s a 5 year old Focus in excellent condition with the exception of a crease which was caused when a gust of wind blew another car door which my son was opening in to the car. Is it worth me getting the damage fixed and selling or am I better off just putting it up for sale as is and letting a “dealer” get it fixed as they will get it done at trade rates?

Thanks

A dealer will get it done at cost but then add a mark up for you.

Get it done yourself, these guys are excellent and mobile.

http://smart-repair-wales.co.uk/

Cooperman said:
MajorR said:

Thanks

Thanks very much, I’ll give them a bell in the morning.

MajorR said:

Get a few quotes, there are quite a few mobile operations out there. Have a Google.

MajorR said:
Cooperman said:

For selling, try Cazoo. They offered significantly more than any of the others for my car and were as good as gold when they came. No attempt at all to batter me down despite seeing a dent I’d never noticed.

monmouth said:
MajorR said:

For selling, try Cazoo. They offered significantly more than any of the others for my car and were as good as gold when they came. No attempt at all to batter me down despite seeing a dent I’d never noticed.

I’m looking to buy a new car next year - the in-laws used Cinch to part-ex and buy a new-ish Audi and very much recommended the process. I’m not quite sure that I’d like to buy a car without seeing it in person though?

Darran said:
Hell of a price on cars at the moment.

Took my car for a service into sinclair in Gorseinon, saw a skoda in the showroom for sale at £43,000 . There's not many people laughing at skoda jokes any more, seems the laugh is actually on us.

cmajack said:
Took my car for a service into sinclair in Gorseinon, saw a skoda in the showroom for sale at £43,000 . There's not many people laughing at skoda jokes any more, seems the laugh is actually on us.

Engineered by VW with hundred of millions of Euros poured into technology and development. The majority of powertrain elements are shared between VW and Skoda, it’s only the ‘skin’ that looks different. Vehicles built in highly automated, modern and lean factories. Much in the same way as what Dacia is to Renault.

Coventry City v Swansea City

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Back