• ***IMPORTANT*** SOME PASSWORDS NOT WORKING

There has been some issues with user passwords. Some users may need to reset their passwords to login to the forum. Please use the password reset option when logging in. If you do experience issues and find our account is locked then please email admin@jackarmy.net Thanks

That nasty racist Dr Seuss

• Thread starter ABSwan
  • Start date
  • Replies: Replies 21
  • Views: Views 3,798
Professor said:
My view-they are not intentionally racist, neither are the issues in the Disney films or the Muppets. They are from another time when such things were acceptable. They are not now. Attitudes to gender, sexuality and race are very different to the 1950s, 60s or 70s. I grew up with casual sexism, racism and homophobia and I certainly would not like to see a return to those times. But we should accept these things are of their time and not ban them unless grossly offensive, but preface (as Disney have done to their credit) with a caveat that no longer match current social mores. That said the Seuss images of the tribesmen are clearly offensive, as was the now removed Golliwog in Noddy and perhaps a more sympathetic replacement is needed.

Such a sensible, level headed opinion won't garner many 'likes' on social media though, which is the thing mostly driving all this.

Monty said:
Professor said:
My view-they are not intentionally racist, neither are the issues in the Disney films or the Muppets. They are from another time when such things were acceptable. They are not now. Attitudes to gender, sexuality and race are very different to the 1950s, 60s or 70s. I grew up with casual sexism, racism and homophobia and I certainly would not like to see a return to those times. But we should accept these things are of their time and not ban them unless grossly offensive, but preface (as Disney have done to their credit) with a caveat that no longer match current social mores. That said the Seuss images of the tribesmen are clearly offensive, as was the now removed Golliwog in Noddy and perhaps a more sympathetic replacement is needed.

Such a sensible, level headed opinion won't garner many 'likes' on social media though, which is the thing mostly driving all this.

No Monty, it won't. People read rubbish, process and amplify it. Having worked with wonderful Africans in East and Southern Africa, the Seuss representation is offensive to me, let alone them. It's not like a ban on the Author, it is a few images and rhymes. I am sure the rest of his work will continue to delight kids, as it did me and my children.

Professor said:
Monty said:

No Monty, it won't. People read rubbish, process and amplify it. Having worked with wonderful Africans in East and Southern Africa, the Seuss representation is offensive to me, let alone them. It's not like a ban on the Author, it is a few images and rhymes. I am sure the rest of his work will continue to delight kids, as it did me and my children.

I agree with a lot that you say, I just disagree to the offensiveness on that drawing. To me, its just a caricature, which by design are humorous and an exaggeration. The object of the drawing of course is the bird.

It is a drawing of its time, no doubt about that.

Would we censor photographs of tribesmen and women who maintain traditional dress because that's the way they still live, or in most cases, dress up for tourists?

Do you get offended by Welsh jokes? I don't personally.

ABSwan said:
Professor said:

I agree with a lot that you say, I just disagree to the offensiveness on that drawing. To me, its just a caricature, which by design are humorous and an exaggeration. The object of the drawing of course is the bird.

It is a drawing of its time, no doubt about that.

Would we censor photographs of tribesmen and women who maintain traditional dress because that's the way they still live, or in most cases, dress up for tourists?

Do you get offended by Welsh jokes? I don't personally.

Caricatures may not be offensive until or unless you’re the subject of that caricature. Frankly if you can’t see why the caricature on the previous page is offensive then it’s pretty clear to see where you’re coming from.

ABSwan said:
I see Disney are now pulling those highly racist movies from their channel now.

Dumbo, Peter Pan, Aristocats because they were made for us older racists when we were kids. Even Loony Tunes as well, with that nasty racist made Speedy Gonzales.

Not they’re aren’t.

Would any swans fan be taken seriously now if they reported the "sheep shagger" chant?
Plus any visiting fan from England when he pleads their case that it is a land not "full of shit?"

ABSwan said:
AceJack said:
The totally not racists think its fine to still teach kids with images like this.

https://twitter.com/RebeccAgent/status/1366798090972389379?s=20

Its called a caricature, not only a caricature but a caricature of a fictional tribal group holding a fictional bird.

I'll go to the African Island of Yerka,
And bring back a tizzle-topped Tufred Mazerka,
A kind of canary with quite a tall throat,
His neck is so long, if he swallows an oat,
For breakfast the first day of April they say,
It has to go down such a very long way,
That it gets to its stomach the fifteenth of May.

Dr Suess's books were full of funny looking drawings, none of which were real.

If you think it's fine to teach kids with imagery like that you're an actual danger. God help kids who come within six feet of you.

Coventry City v Swansea City

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Back