• ***IMPORTANT*** SOME PASSWORDS NOT WORKING

There has been some issues with user passwords. Some users may need to reset their passwords to login to the forum. Please use the password reset option when logging in. If you do experience issues and find our account is locked then please email admin@jackarmy.net Thanks

The Official Homemade Curry Thread

Cooperman said:
waynekerr55 said:
I do a mean Thai curry

Slow cooker - add chopped red onions, garlic cloves, grated ginger, chopped chicken, tablespoon of peanut butter, heaped teaspoon of Thai green paste, tin of coconut milk and allow to cook for 4 hours on high heat setting. Add hot flakes

For the next hour add strips of red and/or yellow pepper and tenderstem brocoli (take the lid off). Add chopped coriander when serving

I guess that adds up to a lot of peppers over the course of an hour. How many would you say, 30? 40? 50 even?
🤣🤣🤣

That should say add and cook for an hour with the lid off

waynekerr55 said:
Cooperman said:
waynekerr55 said:
I do a mean Thai curry

Slow cooker - add chopped red onions, garlic cloves, grated ginger, chopped chicken, tablespoon of peanut butter, heaped teaspoon of Thai green paste, tin of coconut milk and allow to cook for 4 hours on high heat setting. Add hot flakes

For the next hour add strips of red and/or yellow pepper and tenderstem brocoli (take the lid off). Add chopped coriander when serving

I guess that adds up to a lot of peppers over the course of an hour. How many would you say, 30? 40? 50 even?
🤣🤣🤣

That should say add and cook for an hour with the lid off

That's pretty much how I do my Thai curry although the addition of peanut butter is a new one on me. Will be doing that next time ;)

CM did you try the Burmese pork recipe I posted on your thread on the other site?

Well if anyone's interested

Ginger
Chiili
Garlic
Tumeric
One onion diced, you can use more up to you
Tin chopped Toms
mushrooms

You can use powder or fresh spices, personally nicer with fresh

Chop up chilli, ginger and garlic, I dont use measured amounts and fry off with diced onion, add mushrooms and continue to cook add tumeric if powdered and cook off, cover with water and bring to the boil, add tinned toms and diced pork and bring back to boil, turn heat down and simmer until, pork cooked and juice has reduced down.

For the rice, slice one onion and gently fry, add rice and when cooked stir in fresh coriander

Been making almost 30 years, never had a complaint

A nice little rice recipe that goes with many meals is called pillafi (not sure of the spelling)
Gently fry off a sliced onion
and 1 or 2 handfulls of vermicelli pasta, scrunch it in so it breaks into bits, add rice (I always use basmati) then add chicken stock(instead of water).

As a general rule of thumb for basmati rice I use 1 and 3/4 cup of water/stock to every cup full of rice, when youve brought the rice to boil, turn flame/heat down to lowest setting and seal the pan, i.e wrap pan lid in a tea towel, cook for 12 minutes, turn heat of and let rice absorb any remaining water then fluff up, works a treat

Epaul said:
CM did you try the Burmese pork recipe I posted on your thread on the other site?

Cheers mate. I took a screen shot of your recipe but was damned if I could find it on the phone so good to have it again.

alltjack said:
I am by no means a vegetarian, but the wife makes a sweet potato and roasted cauliflower madras that is out of this world

I am. Recipe?

Follow The Ruby Murray Club on facebook. Reviews all indian restaurants in Wales etc. Some outstanding meals being put on there.

Can recommend a bit of asafoetida in your Indian curries, makes them a bit more Indian. You don't need much. It's usually double packed because it's quite pungent. You can buy it in supermarkets now, I think we got ours from Fox's spices.

Madras Sauce
2 onions,1" ginger,3 cloves garlic, 4 red, 2 green chillies,can tomatoes, 3tsp cumin, 1 ground coriander, 1 chilli powder, 1 garam masala
Boil cauliflower for about 3 minutes( dont leave it go to soft or will go through the curry), drain and roast in oven with sweet potato in olive oil and add to madras sauce when cooked

Anyone go on Rate My Plate on Facebook?

I was in the group when they only had a couple of thousand members.
It got a mention on Good morning Britain and the numbers went through the roof.

Managed to get myself a 48 hour ban for getting into an argument with a Cardiff fan that started off with me critiquing his sausage dinner and ended up a full on drink induced cyberruck over football 🙈

Swanjaxs said:

Managed to get myself a 48 hour ban for getting into an argument with a Cardiff fan that started off with me critiquing his sausage dinner and ended up a full on drink induced cyberruck over football 🙈

I read some of the most hilarious one liners on there when it first got going but then it all turned a bit monotonous and predictable. Fun for a while though.

Cooperman said:
Swanjaxs said:

I read some of the most hilarious one liners on there when it first got going but then it all turned a bit monotonous and predictable. Fun for a while though.
Yes I came off it when it started getting popular.
Only so many Sunday dinner pics you can stomach
And yes, the comments were all the same in the end

Pentyrchjack said:
I always add a tablespoon of mango chutney right at the end to give it extra zing and body.
Let's have the remainder of the recipe then :roll:

My favourite these days is a king prawn curry with giant scallops, prepared and cooked while listening to either Radio 5 six or six or World Service:

1. Dice and fry brown onions, fresh curry leaves and finely grated fresh ginger in rapeseed oil on low heat with turmeric and crushed garlic (I used to use that waxy coconut oil until I was told by a doctor that the liver has difficulty in processing it).
2. Add blanched, skinned, seasoned and diced tomatoes.
3. Add 1 cardamom seed per portion and count them so you can remove all at the end before serving.
4. Add cumin and more fresh curry leaves, plus a bit of curry powder.
5. Simmer gently and add dessert spoon of cashew paste to thicken / give body.
6. Add prawns and scallops and simmer until cooked through but not too much.
7. Add one tablespoon of mango chutney and stir through then simmer for 2 mins. The chutney gives it a zingy fruity taste.
8. Open bottle of Sagres for me and pink champagne and keep on ice for the good lady.
9. Sides of prepurchased plain naan and onion bhajis.
10. Home cooked Basmati rice.

Happy days

Some good looking recipes in this thread but I would say that to make a good Indian curry you only need to master the technique of making a good base with some general cooking tips.

If you're making a curry with a rich tomato base (bhuna, karahi) you want to go with this method:

• Get all your vegetables together in a ratio similar to this: 1 large onion, 1 tbsp minced garlic, 1 tbsp minced ginger, 2 capsicum chilli peppers, 2 bell peppers and 2 tomatoes diced.
    • Add them all in a pan with about 150ml of water and simmer for a 5-6 minutes to let them soften.
      • Add ghee or vegetable oil and keep simmering for a minute
        • Add 1 tbsp garam masala, worth investing in an expensive brand if you don't make it yourself.
          • Turn the heat up to the max and keep stirring for 8-10 minutes until you get a glossy finish. Most important step!
            • Back to a simmer and add some water until you get the desired consistency

That's good for about 500g of meat or vegetarian equivalent. I'd cook anything else separately to preserve the taste of the curry. If you're making chicken, bake it on an oven rack after marinating in yoghurt and garam masala for a tandoori effect.

If you want to add anything else (pickle, garlic, coriander) add it at the end for a stronger flavour.

Coventry City v Swansea City

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Back