• ***IMPORTANT*** SOME PASSWORDS NOT WORKING

There has been some issues with user passwords. Some users may need to reset their passwords to login to the forum. Please use the password reset option when logging in. If you do experience issues and find our account is locked then please email admin@jackarmy.net Thanks

Time must surely be up for Russell Martin? He has been backed?

• Thread starter A4Jack
  • Start date
  • Replies: Replies 37
  • Views: Views 5,125
Alan Tate would get a tune out of this lot. Get him in early pre season.

TerryPHELAN said:
Alan Tate would get a tune out of this lot. Get him in early pre season.
He looks like an actual Swan as well, which helps.

Cooperman said:
Lining up the replacement will be as complicated as getting rid of the man himself. This is a decision that we must absolutely not rush, this can be the difference between League One and Championship footy.

That’s all very true. My concern is whether they’re up to making the decision. Look at the mess we had the summer Martin was appointed - everyone knew Steve Cooper was off after the PO final, but they couldn’t have drawn things out more if they tried. The last window was a shambles.

I think we’re screwed until we get owners who are present, or who put a better management structure in place in their absence and who change where they’re getting advice from, as lately it’s gone tits up on all fronts. They can do it; Potter and Cooper were both good choices.

LeonWasTheDog's said:
That’s all very true. My concern is whether they’re up to making the decision. Look at the mess we had the summer Martin was appointed - everyone knew Steve Cooper was off after the PO final, but they couldn’t have drawn things out more if they tried. The last window was a shambles.

I think we’re screwed until we get owners who are present, or who put a better management structure in place in their absence and who change where they’re getting advice from, as lately it’s gone tits up on all fronts. They can do it; Potter and Cooper were both good choices.

Julian Winter is deserving of the arse kicking if he doesn't get it right, he's the CEO and therefore the buck stops with him.

PS, I’m not convinced with this article’s argument that Russ has been backed. Of course we’ve had lots of players in, as we’ve had loads out. The ‘ins’ are poorer quality than the ‘outs’. We’ve gambled on young, cheap, free. I bet if you look at the net transfer spend across the league we’re probably lower third. Our wages are apparently lower third.

LeonWasTheDog's said:
PS, I’m not convinced with this article’s argument that Russ has been backed. Of course we’ve had lots of players in, as we’ve had loads out. The ‘ins’ are poorer quality than the ‘outs’. We’ve gambled on young, cheap, free. I bet if you look at the net transfer spend across the league we’re probably lower third. Our wages are apparently lower third.

I think Martin has had £8m of spend since he arrived. Take out the clubs now in the PL and those with extensive parachute payments and it's only WBA, Hull, and Middlesbrough who have spent more (£10m, £12.3m and £22.7m respectively). Source: Transfermarket (which may or may not be correct).

LeonWasTheDog's said:

The lower third of spenders haven't paid a penny in transfer fees. Free transfers and loans are normal. Fact is our sales haven't been remarkable and we've been top half for transfer spending in each of the last two seasons. Winter said he expects our wage bill to be bottom third but everyone has been cutting back since Covid so I have my doubts.

Luton supposedly have the lowest wage bill in the division so it's obviously what you do with it that counts. Every year one of the financial minnows seems to get into the playoffs.

RodgerTheDodger said:
The Americans learned an important lesson in the relegation season. Changing manager in late-season is not an effective strategy. It's expensive, which means that budget is not available for other purposes, there is a lack of available talent, and it's disruptive.

I suspect (I certainly hope) that Martin's contract allows easy removal if he doesn't meet performance metrics. Nothing useful is going to happen this season, so perhaps the plan is to wait for the summer, move him out, and think again.

I said in earlier posts "Martin is not a clever man". I hadn't realized I was understating the problem.

Quite so. Having landed themselves with a three-year contract (unbelievable that they made a mistake like that straight after having to buy Cooper out of his contract, but maybe Martin insisted on nothing less and had them over a barrel), they will no do doubt calculate that we are unlikely to go down with our current points cushion so let's hang on until the end of the season and reduce the compensation they'll have to pay. Heck, at the rate he is imploding, maybe he'll do something daft enough to warrant summary dismissal.

Personally I think this is short-sighted. If senior players are planning to walk in the summer, at least some of that will be due to Martin. His capacity for doing even more damage if he stays til the end of the season should not be under-estimated. And some are still calling for him to have one more season. Jesus wept.

Cooperman said:
Julian Winter is deserving of the arse kicking if he doesn't get it right, he's the CEO and therefore the buck stops with him.

I have zero faith in Winter's ability to pull a rabbit out of the hat. Martin was such an obvious choice that even know-nothings like Mark_London were calling for him to get the job. Our glory days in left-field manager appointment were when Jenkins and Morgan were doing the scouting. Let's hope Silverstein and Levien have the nouce to ask them for advice (and that they still have enough interest to be on top of their game).

cadleigh said:
I have zero faith in Winter's ability to pull a rabbit out of the hat. Martin was such an obvious choice that even know-nothings like Mark_London were calling for him to get the job. Our glory days in left-field manager appointment were when Jenkins and Morgan were doing the scouting. Let's hope Silverstein and Levien have the nouce to ask them for advice (and that they still have enough interest to be on top of their game).

Aye, they'll pick Garry Monk or Paul Clement.

monmouth said:
Aye, they'll pick Garry Monk or Paul Clement.

I don't want to reopen yesterday's culture wars, today's are tedious enough.

However, since you picked at those particular scabs... I would argue that both Monk and Clement, on paper, were good choices in line with the club's philosophy of picking young, hungry managers committed to our playing style. I imagine both gave great interviews. Guidolin and Carvahlal were much more eccentric choices for us.

On the plus side, they did give us Martinez, Rodgers, Laudrup and Potter. Not a bad strike rate for a roofer and a travel agent.

sainthelens said:
Should we ( and it looks very likely) we dont win a game , as each game goes by, the damage done to the club/fans will be off the scale. And should that happen , Russ will have no 'stock' to fall back on....who the fck would employ him ?
I'm convinced if we get thumped on Saturday he'll either walk or be be nudged.

Possibly a poor performance, a few goals against and a fed up crowd, you maybe right, but he wont be in the dug out will he?

swan65split said:
Possibly a poor performance, a few goals against and a fed up crowd, you maybe right, but he wont be in the dug out will he?

I know what you mean and and I agree. Trouble is, the above has happened on a few occasions and he is still there! Am actually thinking back to some other games (particularly away) and god we have had some trouncings. Now it’s happening at home !

cadleigh said:

I tend to agree re Winter.

Coventry City v Swansea City

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Back