• ***IMPORTANT*** SOME PASSWORDS NOT WORKING

There has been some issues with user passwords. Some users may need to reset their passwords to login to the forum. Please use the password reset option when logging in. If you do experience issues and find our account is locked then please email admin@jackarmy.net Thanks

Too much possession...?

bytholwyn

First Team Player
Reaction score
If you look at the 10 games where we've had 70% possession or better we've only mustered 11 points - borderline relegation form. If you add in the five games where we've managed from 61% to 70 % possession the return is equivalent to 49 points over a season.

If those stats don't make the case that possession has come at the expense of points then consider our points return for the seven games where we've had 50 to 60 % possession. 16 points from 5 wins a draw and a defeat (the last gasp loss to Sheffield United) - corresponding to 105 points over a season, championship winning form, if not a league record points tally.

Discuss...

In our last 7 games, where our 5 points amount to relegation form, we've had 63% possession or better. Which reinforces the point that as a matter of fact, not mere opinion, that excessive possession is costing us points.

My big hope, indeed prayer, is that Joe Allen stays fit. He's a player that's far too intelligent not to understand the need to balance possession with attacking intent. That was very evident in his cameo on Saturday, where his first action on receiving the ball was to look forward, and only passed back or sideways if the forward pass wasn't on.

It takes one exceptional player to turn around our season. Ollie Cooper looks like the man. Ryan Manning is another in my opinion.

Agreed that Cooper and Manning are important players for us but Allen is the key man imo - taking up Brittain's role of quickly transitioning defence into attack. That's the Swansea Way, not fannying around endlessly, being cowardly with the ball.

The thing with Allen is that he's a guaranteed starter if fit, even for Martin. Cooper on the other hand is still far from that position - although I'd have him starting, ahead of Patterson and Ntcham.

A point per game where we've had over 60% possession. I wonder if Martin is aware of this? That and our title winning form where we've shaded possession. The evidence couldn't be any clearer, when we play with attacking intent we get a lot of joy.

I've clocked onto Russ" process now. It's the one where he's trying to show "big" clubs that he wants to play like Citeh, the process then continues when a bigger club are as dull as fck to believe it.

Swansea City v Stoke City

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Back