• ***IMPORTANT*** SOME PASSWORDS NOT WORKING

There has been some issues with user passwords. Some users may need to reset their passwords to login to the forum. Please use the password reset option when logging in. If you do experience issues and find our account is locked then please email admin@jackarmy.net Thanks

Trigger

Monty

Tommy Hutchison
Reaction score
From Only Fools & Horses died 7 years ago today, best british comedy show ever made.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JlVItyJQrxs

Watched two episodes, didn't think it was that funny, just cheesy and you could see the jokes a mile off, it was very popular though , no point arguing about it, its down to personal taste, I prefer fawlty towers or anything with Steve coogan and Ricky gervais
Those old comedy shows were good, Steptoe, likely lads, till death us do part, good writing and intelligent

The early series captured the tone of very early 1980's Britain. The grandad episodes are my favourites.

It got a bit precious as it wore on but very funny at times and not much has rivalled it.

I read that wrong. A brilliant comedy actor but Porridge is my all time comedy.

Best_loser said:
Watched two episodes, didn't think it was that funny, just cheesy and you could see the jokes a mile off, it was very popular though , no point arguing about it, its down to personal taste, I prefer fawlty towers or anything with Steve coogan and Ricky gervais
Those old comedy shows were good, Steptoe, likely lads, till death us do part, good writing and intelligent

I think you have to be of that era or have grown up with it to fully appreciate it, it was a mainstay in my family growing up as my father loved it. I can see how it wouldn't stand up to people who have never/barely seen it.
One of my other comedy heroes is Rik Mayall, and I was obsessed with Bottom as a teenager, it almost makes me cringe to watch that now. OFAH can still have me laughing though, and i've seen all of them dozens of times.

Monty said:
Best_loser said:

I was obsessed with Bottom as a teenager

John Sullivan would be proud of that. :lol:

Monty said:
One of my other comedy heroes is Rik Mayall, and I was obsessed with Bottom as a teenager, it almost makes me cringe to watch that now. OFAH can still have me laughing though, and i've seen all of them dozens of times.

The Young Ones was one of my favourites, another that maybe hasn't aged to well. Some extremely funny moments.

I love clips from their live 'Bottom' shows, they deviate from scripts all the time.

Monty said:
Best_loser said:

I think you have to be of that era or have grown up with it to fully appreciate it, it was a mainstay in my family growing up as my father loved it. I can see how it wouldn't stand up to people who have never/barely seen it.

Again it's all about personal taste, I think there's to many great british comedies out there to list(undoubtedly some shockers to!!) however for me, bearing in mind that when Bottom came out in 91 I was almost mid 20's it still is the greatest ever, of course I have everything they ever done as Richie and eddie on dvd and watch it regularly quoting it parrot fashion.....does my missus head in at times lol....I just love the pathetic childishness of it, perhaps I'm just trying to recapture my youth and can't accept I'm getting old.........

Of course OFAH is a classic but feel they let it run to far, we all love it best we see Delboy as that young cheeky chappie cockney wheeler and dealer, not as one in his 50's and beyond, that's' what killed it for me, it's on tv every day now as well so saturisation kills it too.

Again for me Dads Army is just about the very best and I'll always watch it when it's on, Arthur Lowe was a comedy genius, Porridge is alongside it naturally, again Mr Barker pure comedy genius, special mention to Rigsby

ABSwan said:
Monty said:

The Young Ones was one of my favourites, another that maybe hasn't aged to well. Some extremely funny moments.

I love clips from their live 'Bottom' shows, they deviate from scripts all the time.

i think I watched all the Bottom shows live when they did them

I'm never convinced it was deviation from the scripts - scripted deviation I think would be the best description ;) :lol:

Not that it took anything away from the funny side of it

Coventry City v Swansea City

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Back