• ***IMPORTANT*** SOME PASSWORDS NOT WORKING

There has been some issues with user passwords. Some users may need to reset their passwords to login to the forum. Please use the password reset option when logging in. If you do experience issues and find our account is locked then please email admin@jackarmy.net Thanks

Andor

Dr. Winston said:
JackSomething said:
Find it hard to agree with it being overrated given the context around it, but I think we're in broad agreement on the other films.

It's fine for what it is as long as you ignore some of the dialogue. Popcorn entertainment. I just don't get why it's anywhere near lists of best films ever made. And that's not me being a genre snob. I still sit down and watch the LOTR trilogy (Extended edition. I'm hardcore) once a year.

Maybe it's a generational thing. There's probably people now swho weren't born when the Fellowship of the Ring came out and wonder what all the fuss is about.

Agree it shouldn't be on list of best films ever made. Most influential? Sure, but not best. Empire is the only one that deserves to be in that discussion.

I could never give an answer for my favourite movie, so I have a list of three I give and it's not changed in years. In no particular order: The Empire Strikes Back, Grosse Pointe Blank and Amelie.

Hoping to get my boy onto the LOTR trilogy next. Hopefully the extended editions are available online or I'll need to dig out my DVD's!

JackSomething said:
I could never give an answer for my favourite movie, so I have a list of three I give and it's not changed in years. In no particular order: The Empire Strikes Back, Grosse Pointe Blank and Amelie.

Grosse Pointe Blank is a great, great film.

I couldn't give you a top three because tastes change all the time, although Zulu is the only movie that I've bought on VHS, DVD and BluRay. When the technology exists to have it implanted directly into your brain, I'll probably buy it then too.

Dr. Winston said:
JackSomething said:
Find it hard to agree with it being overrated given the context around it, but I think we're in broad agreement on the other films.

It's fine for what it is as long as you ignore some of the dialogue. Popcorn entertainment. I just don't get why it's anywhere near lists of best films ever made. And that's not me being a genre snob. I still sit down and watch the LOTR trilogy (Extended edition. I'm hardcore) once a year.

Maybe it's a generational thing. There's probably people now swho weren't born when the Fellowship of the Ring came out and wonder what all the fuss is about.

Talking LOTR, really hoping the Amazon prequal series is good.

ABSwan said:
Talking LOTR, really hoping the Amazon prequal series is good.

Based on the trailer I'm not holding out much hope. The Second Age is ripe for interpretation, but there's not a lot of source material.

LotR is a masterclass in film making but they haven’t aged well and they don’t stand regular rewatching, for me anyway. Overlong, self indulgent, po faced and magnificently boring for long stretches. Undoubtedly brilliantly made though. Don’t get me started on The Hobbit trilogy.

Dr. Winston said:
JackSomething said:

Grosse Pointe Blank is a great, great film.

I couldn't give you a top three because tastes change all the time, although Zulu is the only movie that I've bought on VHS, DVD and BluRay. When the technology exists to have it implanted directly into your brain, I'll probably buy it then too.

My in-laws just took my son and nephew to the Royal Welsh Regimental Museum in Brecon yesterday funnily enough. They put Zulu on first, but my 9-year old didn't last long with it, which isn't surprising.

I also found out that Stanley Baker's son has one line in Return of the Jedi, to take this back to Star Wars...

Mr.Bronson from Grange Hill was in star Wars.
When is his spin off coming?

dickythorpe said:

When the galactic empire fell he took a job running a building site in Düsseldorf.

dickythorpe said:

Aye- Admiral Ozzell. Gets force choked by Vader.

Loads of British, Actors in small roles across the films- Don Henderson, Leslie Schofield, Geraldine James, Celia Imrie, Keira Knightley. Dominic West, Thomas Brodie-Sangster, Mark Lewis Jones, Ralph Ineson and even Jodie Comer to name a few. For some blink and you miss it.

Professor said:
Loads of British, Actors in small roles across the films- Don Henderson, Leslie Schofield, Geraldine James, Celia Imrie, Keira Knightley. Dominic West, Thomas Brodie-Sangster, Mark Lewis Jones, Ralph Ineson and even Jodie Comer to name a few. For some blink and you miss it.

Simon Pegg, Adrian Edmonson & Daniel Craig too.

Dr. Winston said:
Professor said:

Indeed-Tom Hardy, Dukes of Cambridge and Sussex also rumoured to be storm troopers too. Lot's of cameos and voice roles too. Eleven films with large casts gives lots of opportunity.

Mostly UK-filmed so lots of supporting cast UK actors like Dominic Monaghan, Harriet Walter and Richard E. Grant rather than yanks.

Professor said:
Dr. Winston said:

Indeed-Tom Hardy, Dukes of Cambridge and Sussex also rumoured to be storm troopers too. Lot's of cameos and voice roles too. Eleven films with large casts gives lots of opportunity.

Mostly UK-filmed so lots of supporting cast UK actors like Dominic Monaghan, Harriet Walter and Richard E. Grant rather than yanks.
On a similar note, I've got tickets for ROTJ with the live orchestra at the Royal Albert Hall. Me and my 7 year old are off there in September!

Professor said:
Dr. Winston said:

What do you think thus far, Prof?

Coventry City v Swansea City

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Back