• ***IMPORTANT*** SOME PASSWORDS NOT WORKING

There has been some issues with user passwords. Some users may need to reset their passwords to login to the forum. Please use the password reset option when logging in. If you do experience issues and find our account is locked then please email admin@jackarmy.net Thanks

Car Insurance

Cooperman

Roger Freestone
Reaction score
I have a big hike in car insurance this year.

It's not unusual to get a considerably higher quote from existing provider and then go elsewhere via one of the comparison sites to get back to baseline.

However, not this year. My £350 for last twelve months cannot be found for less than £500 (all circumstances are the same, no claims in last 12 months, etc.).

What are the recent experiences of PS folk like?

Until recently I was a 30-40K miles a year man but nowadays I've stipulated a mileage limit of 5K. I've max no claims, protected, on a Vauxhall saloon valued at about £8K.

Last year Tesco asked £226. This year it's leapt to, oh, £243. I snapped their hand off.

Squarebear said:
Until recently I was a 30-40K miles a year man but nowadays I've stipulated a mileage limit of 5K. I've max no claims, protected, on a Vauxhall saloon valued at about £8K.

Last year Tesco asked £226. This year it's leapt to, oh, £243. I snapped their hand off.

Did your jump from £226 to £243 take place at the same time as you reduced your mileage?

I am currently with Tesco so I won’t move without at least calling them.

Give them a call - a 10 minute chat with Admiral knocked 20% off the renewal costs making them the best price.

Cooperman said:
Did your jump from £226 to £243 take place at the same time as you reduced your mileage?

I am currently with Tesco so I won’t move without at least calling them.

Nope. It's been this low mileage for 4 years. I'd been bracing myself for a huge hike this year as that seems to be the norm. It's remarkable. A glitch in the matrix?

Squarebear said:
Nope. It's been this low mileage for 4 years. I'd been bracing myself for a huge hike this year as that seems to be the norm. It's remarkable. A glitch in the matrix?

The profiteering is disgusting.

I was tangentially associated with this business (the peter wood bunch, direct line, esure, sheilas etc). The advice I got from these guys was to use the comparison sites as early as possible (normally one month before?), as if you wait until you get your renewal (and they deliberately hold on for as long as possible as they know there's more chance of acceptance) then the comparison prices also shoot up. I'm never that organised but next year I'm going to try to be. Admiral, as I understand it, from chatting to one of their guys, normally will reduce but only by varying the policy terms like excesses, mileage etc, so take care with that.

Changing cars is a bad idea now too, I'm told, as any variation to the policy gives the bandits a chance to stiff you.

Happy times.

Mine went up over £100 this year. No change in circumstances, same car, max no claims etc etc. Bastards.

A few people have been astonished at the cost of insuring their new expensive electric car.
Much more than a similar petrol or diesel version.

Neath_Jack said:
Mine went up over £100 this year. No change in circumstances, same car, max no claims etc etc. Bastards.

I priced up insurance for a bike I was briefly considering think it was around the 250 quid mark priced it up again around a month ago and that was over 400 quid and that was just over a period of 3 months or so, ridiculous.

I passed Tesco Fforestfach earlier today and noticed that Unleaded fuel is £1.52 a ltr now, not sure what Diesel was though, but I'm sure I was paying around £1.35 a ltr for that a little while ago, I thought fuel was coming down and stabilising not rising again, daylight fecking robbery :x

Try varying your occupation that can make a difference. Also saying you keep on the drive rather than inside the garage lowers premium as well assuming you have a driveway

Fbreath said:
Try varying your occupation that can make a difference. Also saying you keep on the drive rather than inside the garage lowers premium as well assuming you have a driveway

I've had company vehicles for over 20yrs, so cost isn't a concern for me.

Absolute scum, I really hate insurance firms, they will rip you off everyday day of the week, unless you have been done for speeding, or an accident how the f**k can they up your claim, legalised robbery,

Niigata Jack said:
I've had company vehicles for over 20yrs, so cost isn't a concern for me.

Coming away from the use of company vehicles isn’t always straightforward. Finding an insurance company who will allow carry over of no claims benefits will take some time. Be prepared!

Looks like I’m going to stay with Tesco. After a call to them I can get them down to £540 and maintain my low excess, whereas the price comparison websites all want at least £500 excess for a policy in the region of £500.

I also have key cover with Tesco and having lost one now is the time to launch ‘operation new key’, so £22 outlay for a £400 key sweetens the situation a little.

2024/2025 fixture list release

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Back