• ***IMPORTANT*** SOME PASSWORDS NOT WORKING

There has been some issues with user passwords. Some users may need to reset their passwords to login to the forum. Please use the password reset option when logging in. If you do experience issues and find our account is locked then please email admin@jackarmy.net Thanks

Club Confirm Cooper exit

Dr. Winston said:
JackSomething said:
On the flip side, clubs will see Cooper as someone who jumped ship as soon as the job got a bit harder. Doesn't say a lot for his character unfortunately.

They'll also be wondering why, after two years, we're no further forward tactically under him than we were when he started.

Other managers who haven't finished in the playoffs two years in a row get snapped up by other clubs quite quickly. Cooper remains on the shelf despite, on the face of it, an impressive record. There has to be a reason for that, and I don't believe for a second it's because we were holding out for £3m compensation.

I'm expecting him to end up back in an International environment eventually. Either England or Wales. That would suit him better.

Yes, all his admirers need to ask why Ismael is in situ at WBA and Cooper is ‘resting’.

monmouth said:
Dr. Winston said:
They'll also be wondering why, after two years, we're no further forward tactically under him than we were when he started.

Other managers who haven't finished in the playoffs two years in a row get snapped up by other clubs quite quickly. Cooper remains on the shelf despite, on the face of it, an impressive record. There has to be a reason for that, and I don't believe for a second it's because we were holding out for £3m compensation.

I'm expecting him to end up back in an International environment eventually. Either England or Wales. That would suit him better.

Yes, all his admirers need to ask why Ismael is in situ at WBA and Cooper is ‘resting’.
Because hes a better manager? That doesnt make Cooper a bad one.

Captain_Sham said:
monmouth said:
Because hes a better manager? That doesnt make Cooper a bad one.

He’s gone get over it. :lol:

oh yeah, I’m on ignore. :lol: :lol:

SwansFan1912 said:
JackSomething said:
On the flip side, clubs will see Cooper as someone who jumped ship as soon as the job got a bit harder. Doesn't say a lot for his character unfortunately.

I think the truth will shine through that the club simply couldn't match his ambition of challenging for promotion. They were unwilling to improve the squad enough for that to be plausible, and so naturally the two parties weren't suited. Jumping ship will be seen as less negative than the classic 3rd season regression we see so often

Plenty of owners expect managers to work with limited funds and a good manager will make his players better through training and tactics. Improving players is supposed to be Cooper's strength, so more evidence he lacks the bottle when things get tough. He'd already been supplied with a couple of young players to develop and a talented but injury-prone midfielder with more certain to come in before the end of the transfer window.

2 years of playoff finishes and no other club wanted him this summer, while our previous manager finished mid-table in his one season and was snapped up instantly by a good PL team. It's a stark contrast.

JackSomething said:
SwansFan1912 said:
I think the truth will shine through that the club simply couldn't match his ambition of challenging for promotion. They were unwilling to improve the squad enough for that to be plausible, and so naturally the two parties weren't suited. Jumping ship will be seen as less negative than the classic 3rd season regression we see so often

Plenty of owners expect managers to work with limited funds and a good manager will make his players better through training and tactics. Improving players is supposed to be Cooper's strength, so more evidence he lacks the bottle when things get tough. He'd already been supplied with a couple of young players to develop and a talented but injury-prone midfielder with more certain to come in before the end of the transfer window.

2 years of playoff finishes and no other club wanted him this summer, while our previous manager finished mid-table in his one season and was snapped up instantly by a good PL team. It's a stark contrast.

You question Coopers character yet Potter was much more despicable in his actions. Coopers gone and whatever happens going forward, wherever he ends up, it still doesn't change the fact that he did a remarkable job, in trying circumstances. A better job than St Potter.

Captain_Sham said:
JackSomething said:

You question Coopers character yet Potter was much more despicable in his actions. Coopers gone and whatever happens going forward, wherever he ends up, it still doesn't change the fact that he did a remarkable job, in trying circumstances. A better job than St Potter.

On the flip side, Potter came in immediately after relegation with the club in a terrible financial state and new owners still finding their feet. We sold or loaned out a huge number of players that summer, forcing Potter to put together a team from the remaining first-teamers, fringe players like Grimes and bring through youth players. He was headhunted by Brighton and brought in a very healthy compensation figure for the club when he left.

The biggest knock against him was the recruitment under him, with the exception of Celina (who Cooper got rid of). I don't know how much control he had over recruitment at the time, but it wasn't good.

Cooper certainly did a better job than Potter in terms of league finishes. Everything else is subjective, except the entertainment quality of the football, which was clearly a lot worse. If Eustace guides us to mid-table while playing good football and seems to be building for the future while losing some of our best players from the last 2 seasons, I'll consider that a better job than Cooper did. You will seemingly just go by league position and say he's done a worse job if he doesn't get us to a playoff final, which is fair enough.

JackSomething said:
Captain_Sham said:

On the flip side, Potter came in immediately after relegation with the club in a terrible financial state and new owners still finding their feet. We sold or loaned out a huge number of players that summer, forcing Potter to put together a team from the remaining first-teamers, fringe players like Grimes and bring through youth players. He was headhunted by Brighton and brought in a very healthy compensation figure for the club when he left.

The biggest knock against him was the recruitment under him, with the exception of Celina (who Cooper got rid of). I don't know how much control he had over recruitment at the time, but it wasn't good.

Cooper certainly did a better job than Potter in terms of league finishes. Everything else is subjective, except the entertainment quality of the football, which was clearly a lot worse. If Eustace guides us to mid-table while playing good football and seems to be building for the future while losing some of our best players from the last 2 seasons, I'll consider that a better job than Cooper did. You will seemingly just go by league position and say he's done a worse job if he doesn't get us to a playoff final, which is fair enough.
Its a direct consequence of Potters bailing that Cooper was even appointed. If he had any stones at all he would have stuck at it. Potter wasted the first, and most important, year of parachute payments. Cooper didn't have it any better when he started, after all he also had pieces to pick up, and had an arguably worse squad. Thanks for nothing Graham. I don't place any expectations on new managers. I had no expectations for Cooper. I have no expectations for Eustace. He has a worse squad to work with. This notion that we are owed 'great football' is anathema to me. I will settle for continued survival , however it is achieved.

JackSomething said:
SwansFan1912 said:

there has been much talk that the compensation clause may have put teams off Cooper as much as £4M has been quoted ...whilst we were only asking £2M for Potter!...we dont know its unfair to make the comparsion with Potter as I am sure Potter had been on clubs radar given his success in Sweden and that Arsenal result....possibly unsure though how he would cope in British football and stiffer competetion...his one season mediocre as it was with us gave Brighton the confidence he was worth the punt..Cooper had no previous history apart from his U17 world cup win

Captain_Sham said:

I don't know why there is a view that he did a "remarkable" job given the players he had at his disposal here.

In terms of the players he had and the budget, he should have got us into the playoffs and he did. Out of interest, which of the sides that didn't make the playoffs last season or the season before do you think he did remarkably well to finish in front of?

If we'd gone up then I'd have agreed that he'd overachieved but we didn't and so he didn't.

I also don't know why the circumstances he's managed in can be described as being any more "trying" than the vast majority of clubs in the league.

ARQS said:
Captain_Sham said:

I don't know why there is a view that he did a "remarkable" job given the players he had at his disposal here.

In terms of the players he had and the budget, he should have got us into the playoffs and he did. Out of interest, which of the sides that didn't make the playoffs last season or the season before do you think he did remarkably well to finish in front of?

If we'd gone up then I'd have agreed that he'd overachieved but we didn't and so he didn't.

I also don't know why the circumstances he's managed in can be described as being any more "trying" than the vast majority of clubs in the league.
Its easy to dismiss peoples achievements if you ignore them. The players he had at his disposal were ones he chose, many of them loan players with no real experience. Two seasons in a row .
With players Potter had and the budget we should have gone up auto but no one bats an eyelid. Doesn't seem fair. Potters legacy was Cooper. Thats where I will leave it.

Captain_Sham said:
Its easy to dismiss peoples achievements if you ignore them. The players he had at his disposal were ones he chose, many of them loan players with no real experience. Two seasons in a row .
With players Potter had and the budget we should have gone up auto but no one bats an eyelid. Doesn't seem fair. Potters legacy was Cooper. Thats where I will leave it.

Potter should have far done better given the players he had although he did have to deal with far more upheaval in terms of departures than Cooper did. Nevertheless, he is irrelevant as to whether Cooper did a "remarkable" job or not.

I suppose you can twist the loan player thing two ways, can't you? You can either say they were young players with no real experience or you can say many of them were excellent players from top clubs who were always going to be good in this division. The truth, down the middle, is that they were good, high profile, loan signings who most people expected to be good.

At the end of the day, Cooper had at various stages Ayew, Brewster, Gallagher, Guehi, Van der Hoorn, Rodon, Hourihane, Woodman, Naughton, Grimes, Roberts, Cabango at his disposal, all of whom would probably walk into the majority of sides in this division. He didn't get us into the playoffs with a bunch of no-hopers.

Cooper did a decent job here but there's no need to pretend he performed miracles when he didn't. Like I said, which of the teams who didn't make the playoffs in the last two years did you feel we weren't expected to finish above?

ARQS said:
Captain_Sham said:

Shall we start with Bournemouth only relegated from the PL at the end of the previous season with the majority of that PL squad intact,what about all those sides with more experienced managers, like Middlesboro with COlin who is an expert at getting promoted from the Championship,Forest with Chris Hughton in charge,dont forget this was only Coopers 2nd season coaching/managing at a senior level...The manager of the side who pipped us to promotion was in his 9th season of senior managament who mangaed just an 11th placed finish in his first Championship season where did Coopers side finish in his?

Given the table below maybe we did over achieve..yes we spent an amount but look at we we sold!

FL Championship Club Netspend For The Last Five Seasons
Current Championship Teams over the last 5 Seasons
# Championship last 5 seasons Purchased Gross Sold Nett Per Season
1 Stoke City £177.2 M £75.5 M £101.7 M £20.3 M
2 West Bromwich Albion £134.3 M £72.4 M £61.9 M £12.4 M
3 Fulham Town £123.2 M £79.4 M £43.7 M £08.7 M
4 Huddersfield Town £100.1 M £42.5 M £57.6 M £11.5 M
5 Cardiff City £60.1 M £13.4 M £46.6 M £09.3 M
6 Sheffield Wed £43.1 M £01.7 M £41.4 M £08.3 M
7 Birmingham £36.5 M £21.8 M £14.7 M £02.9 M
8 Derby £72.5 M £44.8 M £27.8 M £05.5 M
9 Leeds £48.3 M £53.0 M -£04.7 M -£00.9 M
10 Millwall £10.9 M £00.0 M £10.9 M £02.2 M
11 Reading £26.4 M £21.4 M £04.9 M £01.0 M
12 Middlesbrough £107.0 M £107.2 M -£00.1 M -£00.0 M
13 Luton Town £00.0 M £00.0 M
14 Preston North End £03.4 M £11.0 M -£07.6 M -£01.5 M
15 Wigan Athletic £10.0 M £13.9 M -£03.9 M -£00.8 M
16 Nottingham Forest £41.2 M £53.2 M -£12.0 M -£02.4 M
17 Bristol City £46.4 M £79.7 M -£33.3 M -£06.7 M
18 Barnsley £09.1 M £21.6 M -£12.5 M -£02.5 M
19 Blackburn Rovers £16.4 M £33.0 M -£16.6 M -£03.3 M
20 Charlton Athletic £02.8 M £21.6 M -£18.8 M -£03.8 M
21 Queens Park Rangers £20.1 M £44.7 M -£24.6 M -£04.9 M
22 Brentford £38.9 M £88.0 M -£49.1 M -£09.8 M
23 Swansea City £126.5 M £195.9 M -£69.5 M -£13.9 M
24 Hull City £41.0 M £98.2 M -£57.2 M -£11.4 M
Joomla SEF URLs by Artio

All Irelavant now as Cooper is gone ...its the past the king is dead longlive the king....

© 2018 by Transfer League. All rights reserved.
You have allowed cookies to be placed on your computer. This decision can be reversed.

Vetchonian said:
JackSomething said:

there has been much talk that the compensation clause may have put teams off Cooper as much as £4M has been quoted ...whilst we were only asking £2M for Potter!...we dont know its unfair to make the comparsion with Potter as I am sure Potter had been on clubs radar given his success in Sweden and that Arsenal result....possibly unsure though how he would cope in British football and stiffer competetion...his one season mediocre as it was with us gave Brighton the confidence he was worth the punt..Cooper had no previous history apart from his U17 world cup win

I don't want to keep stretching this out, but a couple of things. Everything I can find says that Brighton paid us £3m or close to £3m compensation for Potter rather than £2m. Also, while there is no proof either way, I find it hard to believe the club wouldn't have lowered or waived the compensation for Cooper given they were going to have to give him at least some money anyway when they mutually consented him.

At the end of the day Cooper's football was boring as hell to watch for the vast majority and so he was always going to have a shorter rope. The points achieved last season suggests that Cooper's team was better than Brendan's promotion team, but had we played against Reading the way we did against Brentford there would have been very few people wishing for Brendan to leave that summer. The biggest reason for that was that we mostly played a hell of a lot better football under Brendan than we did for the last 2 seasons.

Coventry City v Swansea City

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Back