• ***IMPORTANT*** SOME PASSWORDS NOT WORKING

There has been some issues with user passwords. Some users may need to reset their passwords to login to the forum. Please use the password reset option when logging in. If you do experience issues and find our account is locked then please email admin@jackarmy.net Thanks

Colwyn Bay

Hopefully Merthyr are the next to say f**k it lets get into the Welsh Pyramid

The league needs money from somewhere, no f**ker wants to sponsor it or pay them to broadcast it so attendances looks like the only options

SgorioFruit said:
I think North Wales football needs this. We have been too spoilt in the south over the last decade or so.

Wrexham back in the football league hopefully.
Colwyn Bay in to the Welsh Prem.

Both scenarios would do wonders for the game up north.

A no brainer, the stronger the Welsh pyramid the better all round 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿

FAW review of the Welsh Premier League is expected to be published this month.

Proposals made by the clubs included :
* switch to summer football within 2 seasons
* increase league to 16 sides within 2 seasons - to achieve this there will be no relegation next season but 2 more up (14 clubs) then usual relegation season after that with 4 up 4 down moving forward (16 clubs)
* the no-relegation in 2023/24 season gives clubs the opportunity to invest in youth for a season without the pressures of relegation, and a chance to "reset sustainable budgets to avoid over investment"
* teams must play 3 players aged under 21 in every first team match (see 'no relegation' proposal above) and encourage clubs to 'develop from within' rather than spend on 'outside talent'
* enhanced TV deal, tagged on to the S4C deal (6 games a weekend PPV streamed or free-to-view live)
* TV highlights package on mainstream television (English and Welsh language)
* fairer distribution of UEFA monies into central pot - 70% to clubs who qualify for European competition, 30% split between rest of clubs, the thinking being every club then has an interest in clubs doing well in Europe
* improved funding for facilities and academies via FAW and UEFA funding streams
* revamp of the ground grading and club licences required to play in Welsh Premier and subsequently play at your own ground in Europe - faster turn around from promotion to ground checks to funding for improvements to licence award - this supports 'smaller' clubs without the budgets to spend big on stadium improvements and therefore win the feeder leagues but cannot get promoted
* continue the split in fixtures but modify the split - at the moment each team plays each other home and away in first half of season, then top 6 form a mini league (for the title and european places) with the bottom 6 forming a mini league (for european play-off and relegation)- the critics complain a side could play another side up to 4 times in the league and up to 3 more times in cups, which is overkill and detrimental to the league. The new proposal is a 16 team league where everyone simply plays each other once at home and once away. An alternative proposal is a North/South split first half of the season (travel costs, local derbies, added interest early in season when the weather is better) followed by top 4 Southern teams and top 4 Northern teams in a mini-league based on position in early season. The usual top 8 play for europe and bottom 8 play to avoid relegation. Whatever the split, UEFA insist the final league placings must represent placings on merit across a full league season so some sort of national split must occur for european places to remain for top clubs.
* a 16 team league allows teams to play each other once home and once away, and ends this split season nonsense that is proving unpopular with many fans

The standard of the Welsh Premier is better than most realise, there is definitely untapped potential within the League set up, and it is hoped these proposals refocus attention towards growth and sustainability for a 16 club set up. However, the league has reached a key point in its history and something must be done to improve the product and fan involvement. We eagerly await news of the FAW consultation.

If the Welsh Premier is to switch to summer football (not something I'm a fan of), surely the feeder leagues have to do the same?

NeathJack said:
If the Welsh Premier is to switch to summer football (not something I'm a fan of), surely the feeder leagues have to do the same?

Yes, I believe that will be the case. I heard a whisper there is an appetite for summer footy within the Cymru Premier and within some of the 2 feeder leagues but certainly not further down the pyramid. A summer pint and BBQ whilst watching summer footy at Llanelli or Carmarthen in shirt sleeves is still a long way away.

BarryTownSwan said:
Yes, I believe that will be the case. I heard a whisper there is an appetite for summer footy within the Cymru Premier and within some of the 2 feeder leagues but certainly not further down the pyramid. A summer pint and BBQ whilst watching summer footy at Llanelli or Carmarthen in shirt sleeves is still a long way away.

Would be excellent in my opinion, but I listened to a Noel Mooney interview he gave last week and it doesn't sound like there was much appetite for it.

He says a lot of the clubs are concerned about losing boxing day / new years day / festive revenue.

Chief said:
Would be excellent in my opinion, but I listened to a Noel Mooney interview he gave last week and it doesn't sound like there was much appetite for it.

He says a lot of the clubs are concerned about losing boxing day / new years day / festive revenue.

true, an example of the current small mindedness prevalent in the feeder leagues. Let's hope the weather stays warm and dry and sunny over Xmas so that games aren't called off and rescheduled to mid-February. I have faith in Mooney to drag changes through, may take time but I believe we'll get there

BarryTownSwan said:
true, an example of the current small mindedness prevalent in the feeder leagues. Let's hope the weather stays warm and dry and sunny over Xmas so that games aren't called off and rescheduled to mid-February. I have faith in Mooney to drag changes through, may take time but I believe we'll get there

I think it's harsh to call it small mindedness, there are plenty of teams who now play on 3g so aren't affected by too many postponements. And if they don't have 3g then they should put a case to the faw.

Just because me and you think summer games would be great because it suits us especially being swans fans, doesn't mean we shouldn't listen to what the clubs themselves say. It's them it directly affects at end of the day.

But more research would be good.

Chief said:
I think it's harsh to call it small mindedness, there are plenty of teams who now play on 3g so aren't affected by too many postponements. And if they don't have 3g then they should put a case to the faw.

Just because me and you think summer games would be great because it suits us especially being swans fans, doesn't mean we shouldn't listen to what the clubs themselves say. It's them it directly affects at end of the day.

But more research would be good.

I acknowledge my use of 'small mindedness' was crass, certainty not intended as a slur on any club or the system as a whole, just that ignoring the existing problems throughout the pyramid in order to protect Xmas gate income is IMO short sighted. I don't believe we are ready for summer football but there's plenty of opportunities proposed that will benefit all clubs. I note that Cymru South and Cymru North attendances are significantly higher than those in the Welsh Premier so maybe the Prem can learn more from the so-called feeder leagues than the feeder leagies can earn from the Prem?

BarryTownSwan said:
I acknowledge my use of 'small mindedness' was crass, certainty not intended as a slur on any club or the system as a whole, just that ignoring the existing problems throughout the pyramid in order to protect Xmas gate income is IMO short sighted. I don't believe we are ready for summer football but there's plenty of opportunities proposed that will benefit all clubs. I note that Cymru South and Cymru North attendances are significantly higher than those in the Welsh Premier so maybe the Prem can learn more from the so-called feeder leagues than the feeder leagies can earn from the Prem?

Yea I get you, I was just saying that summer football from what i hear from Mooney may not be coming any time soon (as much as me or you may want it, let's face it, at best fairly interested people like me and you want it to - we are talking on a swanseacity forum after all).

What can the Cymru sides learn from the Cymru South / North sides though? There's nothing particularly different being done at club level as far as i can see?

It just so happens that TNS, Pontypridd, Cardiff met, airbus who are franchise type clubs (Bala?) ams have no fans are in the prem currently while Barry, Colwyn B, Rhyl, Bangor phoenix, Llanelli/Carmarthen are in the division below (or lower - Port Talbot).

But that's more an indictment of the whole league I'd have thought?

Coventry City v Swansea City

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Back