• ***IMPORTANT*** SOME PASSWORDS NOT WORKING

There has been some issues with user passwords. Some users may need to reset their passwords to login to the forum. Please use the password reset option when logging in. If you do experience issues and find our account is locked then please email admin@jackarmy.net Thanks

Completely changing our style was an absolute disaster

magicdaps10

Lee Trundle
Reaction score
........and again another mistake from our owners who just do it time and time again! It will cost them money again.

We only needed to bring someone in with a footballing ethos who had more thought on defence and defensive shape NOT a guy who would rip up the script book and work that was done in the last 2 seasons.

You need proper football people in place, ones who have played the game and know the clubs history and style.

I have to agree... tonight was like watching Sheff Wed on a bad day. Defensively i think we can bring it together to survive but our midfield is totally inept for what Duff is trying to achieve. Walsh and Allen using up spaces we can ill afford and Grimes with Fulton is just not aligning at all to Duffs plans.

Ringwood Jack said:
I have to agree... tonight was like watching Sheff Wed on a bad day. Defensively i think we can bring it together to survive but our midfield is totally inept for what Duff is trying to achieve. Walsh and Allen using up spaces we can ill afford and Grimes with Fulton is just not aligning at all to Duffs plans.

Duff has a plan?

I think, for once, this isn't about style.

This is just about dropping an absolute clanger by over promoting a guy who has absolutely no coaching pedigree at this level.

Andy Coleman has completely f*cked this one up. He tried to bring in a "results guy" thinking it'll appease some of the fans. That in itself wasn't the worst idea in the world, the problem is, he just picked badly. Really, really badly. And that's because he knows nothing about football.

If he's got anything about him he'll sack Duff, admit he dropped a bollock, apologise for it, and then step back from picking the next coach. Leave it to Watson, who at least knows what he's doing.

"The Swansea Way" is such a noose around the club's neck, the club was founded in 1912 and then 95 years later Martinez started getting the players to play pretty triangles.
What was "the Swansea Way" for the 95 years prior to that? So many of our fans have this snobbish attitude that we should be like peak Barcelona, 75% possession and cutting through teams at will but I'd rather just watch winning football, instead of that mind-numbing nonsense they served up under Martin.
Unfortunately, it seems like any manager will be on a hiding to nothing if they can't win games playing "the Swansea Way"

magicdaps10 said:
........and again another mistake from our owners who just do it time and time again! It will cost them money again.

We only needed to bring someone in with a footballing ethos who had more thought on defence and defensive shape NOT a guy who would rip up the script book and work that was done in the last 2 seasons.

You need proper football people in place, ones who have played the game and know the clubs history and style.

You'd be hard pressed to find a bigger critic of our owners than me. But in fairness they appointed Potter, modest success and well liked. Then Cooper, far more successful, but not liked, then Martin, absolutely sainted by some but there was definitely a groundswell that we needed to be more direct. Now they've appointed Duff who has had success and is slightly more direct. Proof is in the pudding but on the face it seems sensible

I think the recruitment is a bigger issue than Duff, who says he has no input in it. We signed Key and Ashby. We signed Pedersen and Humphreys but already had 4 centre backs. We signed Patino but already have grimes, Allen, Fulton and Cooper. We signed Ginnelly but don't play wingers. We paid well over the odds for a big striker but we don't play him. We signed Yates and Lowe, but we already have Cullen.

My heads frazzled

T8AD365 said:
"The Swansea Way" is such a noose around the club's neck, the club was founded in 1912 and then 95 years later Martinez started getting the players to play pretty triangles.
What was "the Swansea Way" for the 95 years prior to that? So many of our fans have this snobbish attitude that we should be like peak Barcelona, 75% possession and cutting through teams at will but I'd rather just watch winning football, instead of that mind-numbing nonsense they served up under Martin.
Unfortunately, it seems like any manager will be on a hiding to nothing if they can't win games playing "the Swansea Way"

The Swans were known as a footballing side from the 50s through to the 80s. Lost it for a couple of decades before Roberto brought it back.

T8AD365 said:

If RM football was mind numbing nonsense… what have we witnessed this season?

Magic_Michu said:
If RM football was mind numbing nonsense… what have we witness this season?
We're not trying to wear down the turf between our box and the halfway line for 95% of the game for a start

What are we trying to do?

We can’t string 2 or 3 passes together… it feels like we try and sit deep and defend… and then hoof it into the channel and hope for the best.

If watching the opposition take the p*ss week in week out, whilst we aimlessly hoof the ball into the channels and turn over possession, is exciting football then I want nothing of it.

Magic_Michu said:

We can’t string 2 or 3 passes together… it feels like we try and sit deep and defend… and then hoof it into the channel and hope for the best.

If watching the opposition take the p*ss week in week out, whilst we aimlessly hoof the ball into the channels and turn over possession, is exciting football then I want nothing of it.
I didn't say we play exciting football now, just that the last two seasons we kept possession in our own half before trying to pass forward, giving it away and conceding on the counter attack. It's exactly the way Southampton are now playing (see their game against Leicester as an example), the only way Martin knows how to play.

Of course the ideal would be to play fast, exciting football and win games every week but that very rarely happens in the championship.

Duff certainly needs to work something out quickly because the start of the season has been terrible but he has to decide on his best team, which has been difficult with the number of players coming through the door. There's no excuses now he's got his squad though

Magic_Michu said:

It's impressive that we've had the core of last season's team playing most games so far (at least through the middle) and they've gone from comfortably (albeit boringly!) knocking the ball back and forwards to looking terrified of the thing. Grimes' pass completion rate must be the lowest of any midfielder we've had for years. He's constantly passing straight to the opposition even with easy passes. Fulton absent. Neither of them showing when the CBs have the ball. It's one hell of a change. I don't think I've seen such a collapse like after any previous manager change, but then I've only been watching since Jackett so had it good. We played better together under Bobley and Clement.

LeonWasTheDog's said:
It's impressive that we've had the core of last season's team playing most games so far (at least through the middle) and they've gone from comfortably (albeit boringly!) knocking the ball back and forwards to looking terrified of the thing. Grimes' pass completion rate must be the lowest of any midfielder we've had for years. He's constantly passing straight to the opposition even with easy passes. Fulton absent. Neither of them showing when the CBs have the ball. It's one hell of a change. I don't think I've seen such a collapse like after any previous manager change, but then I've only been watching since Jackett so had it good. We played better together under Bobley and Clement.

Completely agree… this is much worse than Bobbley football

T8AD365 said:

Nope. As someone said yesterday we can get behind a plan but there simply doesn't seem to be one

Coventry City v Swansea City

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Back