• ***IMPORTANT*** SOME PASSWORDS NOT WORKING

There has been some issues with user passwords. Some users may need to reset their passwords to login to the forum. Please use the password reset option when logging in. If you do experience issues and find our account is locked then please email admin@jackarmy.net Thanks

Coronavirus- new spike coming?

MrSwerve said:
How are they handling lectures up with you, Prof? At mine we are going for blended delivery, with large classes being delivered online. We are providing face-to-face lectures but limiting to 40 in a class. I wonder what attendance will be like and whether students will actually want to mix, even while being socially distanced. I’m not entirely looking forward to a return to the lecture rooms in a few weeks time, to be honest.

It does feel like we are ill-prepared at the moment though. Surprised how quiet the unions have been, I can only assume that they are biding their time.

I’ve chosen to go for recorded ‘bite sized chunks’ replacing lectures. Face to Face classes of 50 (expecting many less) in large lecture theatres, online tutes for 20 and a full class online clinic for Q&A with three tutors. I’ve taught myself OBS, Padlet, Drawboard, Mentimeter, BB Collaborate, Annotate and Bitpaper over the last two months as well as all the structural prep, as no one else was going to help me do it. Basically all the attention is on the poor little darlings (it now being school rather than university) and almost nothing towards safety or impact on staff. I only do it for fun, and all the fun is in F2F so I might pack it in. Now I’ve learnt all the techno shit though, I might as well give a term a whirl I suppose. If I hear ‘blended learning’ from another jerk that doesn’t ever go near a student, or promises of ‘world class student experience, from the same kind of cretin, I’ll probably be banged up for GBH anyway.

benny said:
jack123 said:
That is frightening, I never really paid much attention to sepsis, but I googled it earlier after reading what you said, looks bloody horrible.

Funnily enough my father in law suffers with lots of water infections, he was coming down with another one Wednesday night. Usual antibiotics and histamines didn’t work and about 9pm he began to shake uncontrollably. Ambulance came and his breathing was an issue also, along with a high temperature, over 40. Out of the blue he started to cough, medics decided he had to go to the Covid Ward in the Heath due to symptoms. He’s not been out for 6 months and barely had contact with anyone.
Didn’t think it was Covid as so little of it about, luckily for him there was no one at the Heath with it.
Turns out it was a blood infection, sepsis. Not quite under control yet, they’ve tried 4 antibiotics already but he seems to be in the mend. Like prof says, we risk them not working as we overuse them. It’s bound to become a big problem unless we find new antibiotics. Pretty sure we haven’t found any for a while now? I’ve heard of young healthy people getting sepsis too, losing limbs or dying....way worse than Covid in my mind.

Yes, this sepsis seems horrible, I hope your father in law makes a speedy recovery.

benny said:
jack123 said:
That is frightening, I never really paid much attention to sepsis, but I googled it earlier after reading what you said, looks bloody horrible.

Funnily enough my father in law suffers with lots of water infections, he was coming down with another one Wednesday night. Usual antibiotics and histamines didn’t work and about 9pm he began to shake uncontrollably. Ambulance came and his breathing was an issue also, along with a high temperature, over 40. Out of the blue he started to cough, medics decided he had to go to the Covid Ward in the Heath due to symptoms. He’s not been out for 6 months and barely had contact with anyone.
Didn’t think it was Covid as so little of it about, luckily for him there was no one at the Heath with it.
Turns out it was a blood infection, sepsis. Not quite under control yet, they’ve tried 4 antibiotics already but he seems to be in the mend. Like prof says, we risk them not working as we overuse them. It’s bound to become a big problem unless we find new antibiotics. Pretty sure we haven’t found any for a while now? I’ve heard of young healthy people getting sepsis too, losing limbs or dying....way worse than Covid in my mind.

Best wishes to him Benny

Been said Covid is like controlling a river but antimicrobial resistance will be like controlling the oceans

sainthelens said:
1 in 2 million chance of dying from covid, yet 1 in 3 of dying from cancer. 500 deaths a day from cancer in this country....how many from covid?
May sound flippant, but enough is enough now.

Indeed, enough is enough. I went back to ‘near normal’ weeks ago as I cannot sit back and watch livelihoods go down the toilet. The spin from the BBC and Sky News is an absolute disgrace and the long term mental health damage that is being done is untold.

Professor said:
Been said Covid is like controlling a river but antimicrobial resistance will be like controlling the oceans

Use in agriculture is a problem I understand?

Too many eejits turning up at their GP demanding antibiotics when they've got a cold too. Hope most GP's are strong enough to refuse but probably not all of them are.

Dr. Winston said:
Professor said:

Use in agriculture is a problem I understand?

Too many eejits turning up at their GP demanding antibiotics when they've got a cold too. Hope most GP's are strong enough to refuse but probably not all of them are.

The links to agricultural use are surprisingly weak. But easier to blame than medical misuse.
In the U.K. we are doing well on reducing use in livestock and more targeted use in people. A lot of education of both public and professionals is still needed. However the use of shovel fulls of antibiotics in pig and chicken production in China and India is pretty grim as the complete lack of any regulation in medical use in large parts of the world.

I agree with the Prof's initial post. I was reading the ONS site earlier this evening and noticed that weekly deaths between mid June and the start of August were below the seasonal average for the last 5 years, however for the second and third weeks in August the position reversed and we are now in a position where deaths are exceeding the seasonal average. Sadly, the trajectory is upwards.

Just seen this article in the Independent, is there any wonder why it’s gong Pete Tong. The police aren’t enforcing the legislation as they have too much to do, so it’s down to WAG and Cardiff City Council.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/cardiff-pub-social-distancing-queues-nightlife-coronavirus-a9706571.html

It needs sorting.

MajorR said:
I agree with the Prof's initial post. I was reading the ONS site earlier this evening and noticed that weekly deaths between mid June and the start of August were below the seasonal average for the last 5 years, however for the second and third weeks in August the position reversed and we are now in a position where deaths are exceeding the seasonal average. Sadly, the trajectory is upwards.

What? No way are deaths above the seasonal average, I do keep an eye on the figures on the corona site, so if the stats are showing higher, surely that must be down to other causes like patients not getting treatment?

MajorR said:
Just seen this article in the Independent, is there any wonder why it’s gong Pete Tong. The police aren’t enforcing the legislation as they have too much to do, so it’s down to WAG and Cardiff City Council.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/cardiff-pub-social-distancing-queues-nightlife-coronavirus-a9706571.html

It needs sorting.

Shut it down until it can be better organised and controlled

controversial_jack said:
MajorR said:

It needs sorting.

Shut it down until it can be better organised and controlled

Let's get back to normal, that video there means nothing! I'll be honest with you even at the height of this pandemic in April, I saw lots of people carrying on as normal, we need to get back to the way we were! Protect the elderly and vulnerable and let's crack on.. IMO may as well, because I'm not taking no vaccine anyway.

jack123 said:
MajorR said:

What? No way are deaths above the seasonal average, I do keep an eye on the figures on the corona site, so if the stats are showing higher, surely that must be down to other causes like patients not getting treatment?

It’s not the covid site, it’s the official ONS site which publishes data on a weekly basis. If you look at the stats, the comparative figures are similar until around the middle/end of March when Covid19 numbers started increasing. The death rate remained higher until mid June, before it started to decline, it’s picking up now as are the numbers with Covid. Check it out.

https://www.ons.gov.uk/file?uri=%2fpeoplepopulationandcommunity%2fbirthsdeathsandmarriages%2fdeaths%2fdatasets%2fweeklyprovisionalfiguresondeathsregisteredinenglandandwales%2f2020/publishedweek342020.xlsx

MajorR said:
jack123 said:

It’s not the covid site, it’s the official ONS site which publishes data on a weekly basis. If you look at the stats, the comparative figures are similar until around the middle/end of March when Covid19 numbers started increasing. The death rate remained higher until mid June, before it started to decline, it’s picking up now as are the numbers with Covid. Check it out.

https://www.ons.gov.uk/file?uri=%2fpeoplepopulationandcommunity%2fbirthsdeathsandmarriages%2fdeaths%2fdatasets%2fweeklyprovisionalfiguresondeathsregisteredinenglandandwales%2f2020/publishedweek342020.xlsx

Yes, thank you I will get round to it, what I'm saying is though comparing say August covid deaths from the worldometer site, basically a handful
a day, so I can't see a massive increase in excess deaths, unless it's purely down to the lock down? People not getting treatment..

jack123 said:
MajorR said:

Yes, thank you I will get round to it, what I'm saying is though comparing say August covid deaths from the worldometer site, basically a handful
a day, so I can't see a massive increase in excess deaths, unless it's purely down to the lock down? People not getting treatment..

It will take some drilling down to get to the bottom of it, but I’d have thought if It was case of not getting treatment on account of lockdown the rates would have been higher earlier, the increase in deaths seems to be mirroring the general increase in covid positive test results. I hope the scientists /researchers are looking at this data in detail so we can understand exactly what’s going on.

MajorR said:
jack123 said:

It will take some drilling down to get to the bottom of it, but I’d have thought if It was case of not getting treatment on account of lockdown the rates would have been higher earlier, the increase in deaths seems to be mirroring the general increase in covid positive test results. I hope the scientists /researchers are looking at this data in detail so we can understand exactly what’s going on.

Well, I think the positive covid results mean ferk all, and that's just not me saying it! Plenty of other people, like Iv'e had a gutsfull of this shit, went to argos the other day to pick up something, footprints on floor to where you have to stand.. :shock: It's fuc*mg madness!! I have said before, and i'm not lying, I would rather catch this shit, than live a life like this.

Coventry City v Swansea City

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Back